The Columbia "Underground" Quad Reels of the late '70s

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering the same thing. Several of these titles listed above have been showing up lately :)

Is the partial Kooper/Bloomfield Live Adventures that is around from Mike Robin's list?

Yes that is on the list I have sent a copy to Jon
If I have done the right thing e will put it on the board
Ron

Does anybody have the Big Brother & The Holding Company "Cheap Thrills" Quad Reel? I would love to hear that one. Also, what's the story on the Quad Reel "Pearl" having TWO versions of Mercedes Benz? Two different attempts at the same take? I was under the impression that was the ONLY take of MB as it was just a quick vocal run-through.

Thanks to longtime QQ member 'rustyandi', I now have a photocopy of the original Mike Robin list, and will create a webpage for it here at QQ. Give me a day or two, as I'm working on an updated chart for it right now. I will also include links to the original scans as well. There are 52 reels listed!!

Also, what's the story on the Quad Reel "Pearl" having TWO versions of Mercedes Benz? Two different attempts at the same take? I was under the impression that was the ONLY take of MB as it was just a quick vocal run-through.

Yes there are two versions of MB. I believe they are two different mixes of the same take. That was my impression anyway.

Thanks to longtime QQ member 'rustyandi', I now have a photocopy of the original Mike Robin list, and will create a webpage for it here at QQ. Give me a day or two, as I'm working on an updated chart for it right now. I will also include links to the original scans as well. There are 52 reels listed!!

Wow, I'll be watching for that...

OK everyone, thanks to 'rustyandi', I have created the web page with the offical list and some info on these Columbia quad reels.

Check it out here: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/QQ-CQ4mr.html

And if you have anything to add, let me know in a PM. That way, the information source will stay private!! :D

Let me know what you think. (I had a hell of a time with the table, freaking MS!!!)

So where to I send my $30 for a quad copy of Supersession?! :cool:

Amazing. Simply amazing. Ask any average Joe about Quad and the few who can remember it, recall it as a dismal failure that didn't stick around long. And yet, here we are 35 years later uncovering magical little gems like this. It really boggles my mind to imagine all the time some engineer spent sitting at a mixing console, trying to come up with a GOOD Quad mix. Now, this list confirms that there may have been alternate mixes done - I would imagine either to satisfy SQ requirements and/or artist/producer/fat cat approval. This is really fascinating stuff.

Wow! That is just fascinating. Who knew?

Amazing. Simply amazing. Ask any average Joe about Quad and the few who can remember it, recall it as a dismal failure that didn't stick around long. And yet, here we are 35 years later uncovering magical little gems like this. It really boggles my mind to imagine all the time some engineer spent sitting at a mixing console, trying to come up with a GOOD Quad mix. Now, this list confirms that there may have been alternate mixes done - I would imagine either to satisfy SQ requirements and/or artist/producer/fat cat approval. This is really fascinating stuff.
With very little idea or conviction of what GOOD means.

(y)

SO MANY QUAD R2R PLAYERS, SO FEW QUAD R2R TAPES...

i was up to three akai 10" quad r2rs with only about 8 quad factory recorded quad r2r tapes.

whats a quad r2r tape lover to do...

buy a fourth akai 10" r2r quad deck, that's what!

so i did...

akai gx-400d-ss. delivered three weeks ago. now i just just need some of those columbia quad tapes...

Attachments

• 000_00022[2].jpg
    000_00022[2].jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 730
Last edited:
Thanks for posting this fascinating information. Theres probably even more that we don't know about that never got released and went into the dumpster. Unless some recording engineer makes a death bed confession about what he mixed, we'll never find out.

Back