DVD/DTS Poll Franklin, Aretha - The Best of [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Aretha Franklin - The Best of

• Total voters
I hate necroposting, but I had this in the car the other day and I'm still convinced the soundstages are swapped front to back.

Take Rock Steady for example:

Back Channels: Drums, Horns in glorious wide stereo and Aretha Loud & Proud in the Center
Front Channels: Bass center, percussive instruments wide, Aretha's vocal drenched in echo but the backing singers loud and prominent. Also, horn echoes in wide stereo.

Now, I know what you're thinking.... bass is front center, the mix is correct. But aren't there some Doobies Quad mixes where the bass is back center? Seems unusual that Aretha's vocals are more prominent in the rear channels.... and there's LOTS of echo in the fronts. If it were swapped, we'd get a Doobies-esque mix with drums front, bass rear, Aretha front center and backing vocals in the back channels.

I hate necroposting, but I had this in the car the other day and I'm still convinced the soundstages are swapped front to back.

Take Rock Steady for example:

Back Channels: Drums, Horns in glorious wide stereo and Aretha Loud & Proud in the Center
Front Channels: Bass center, percussive instruments wide, Aretha's vocal drenched in echo but the backing singers loud and prominent. Also, horn echoes in wide stereo.

Now, I know what you're thinking.... bass is front center, the mix is correct. But aren't there some Doobies Quad mixes where the bass is back center? Seems unusual that Aretha's vocals are more prominent in the rear channels.... and there's LOTS of echo in the fronts. If it were swapped, we'd get a Doobies-esque mix with drums front, bass rear, Aretha front center and backing vocals in the back channels.

I'll have to play it again on my main system and get back to you. I LOVE this disc. Played loudly through a mega watt system, it's AMAZING. Would still like to hear it in HI RES! Rhino didn't supply a 96/24 Stereo Tracko_O

just a quick message for all QQ owners of this one, please check your Aretha Quadio discs at your earliest convenience.

i just went to play my copy for the first time in many years and was shocked to see the playing surface had some cloudy patches on it which looked like it might be some sort of fogging or bag rash from the plastic inner!

just a quick message for all QQ owners of this one, please check your Aretha Quadio discs at your earliest convenience.

i just went to play my copy for the first time in many years and was shocked to see the playing surface had some cloudy patches on it which looked like it might be some sort of fogging or bag rash from the plastic inner!

Aiee! Mine's okay, Adam, but thanks for the public-service heads-up.

Any chance your disc slipped between the the plastic inner and the paper sleeve? I've read about discs fogging from contact with dried glue spilled out from the seams on those.

Good excuse to pop it in for a listen, though. Does yours still play without errors?

Aiee! Mine's okay, Adam, but thanks for the public-service heads-up.

Any chance your disc slipped between the the plastic inner and the paper sleeve? I've read about discs fogging from contact with dried glue spilled out from the seams on those.

Good excuse to pop it in for a listen, though. Does yours still play without errors?

PHEW! good news! that's a relief to hear! no chance, the disc was still all tucked up snuggly in the inner plastic bag. i've only taken the disc out like twice (maybe tonight was the third time) in the last 9 years.. and i'm ultra careful with discs, if they're new when i get them they stay spanky! it plays and rips without any problems, yes!

Yeah Snood's is fine too - if me look reaaaaaaaaaaaal hard maybe in tiny streak 1/16 inch in the right light - but thats looking reaaal hard, nothing obvious - weird though pretty sure bought it new and only played 2x and Snood real clean freak on discs- did need a cleaning :unsure: - after cleaning all looked fine. Might change out the plastic sleeve for another brand. :unsure:

I would get it out of that inner sleeve right away, and never use it again. I've seen this happen with other media including LPs and some singles.

$80 balloons plus shipping is a good price on this fairly recently out of print discs? I think it's on the very high end of the scale myself.

Several things I about this wonderful title I would have appraised a bit or a lot lower.

I lucked out and won a sealed copy for $20 on eBay about two years ago. I have the CD-4 LP as well. It sounds nice, but the mix is definitely not discrete enough for my tastes. It's interesting reading the comments suggesting a front/rear swap, and that Aretha is louder in the rears while the backing vocals are more in the front. To me it sounds like the backing vocals are mostly in the left channels.

"Chain Of Fools":
Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 3.32.46 PM.png

"Rock Steady":
Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 3.34.02 PM.png

Last edited:
$80 balloons plus shipping is a good price on this fairly recently out of print discs? I think it's on the very high end of the scale myself.

Several things I about this wonderful title I would have appraised a bit or a lot lower.

So if you think that's not a good deal...then help the members out and post a better deal for a new copy that's cheaper...right now on Ebay there are 2 others available...one is 119.98 and the other is 121.99 plus shipping...the only one on discogs is one from the UK 77.92 PLUS shipping from the UK...amazon US has 2..one for $139.98 plus shipping and 139.75 plus shipping...those are the only sources that I use that have new copies right now...I don't go to thrift shops or yard sales so there might be a new copy there that I'm not aware of....

This is a poll thread so I don't want to start a posting chain with you but if you want to discuss it further...go here and we can discuss it...

Omfg the sound quality the fidelity cost some dough but worth it...i Love it its great

How could anyone give this anything but a 10!

Goosebumps sq ...its fantastic

Omfg the sound quality the fidelity cost some dough but worth it...i Love it its great

How could anyone give this anything but a 10!

Goosebumps sq ...its fantastic
I only gave it 9 but mainly because it was only DTS.
Love the album it's a shame the quad vaults were/are not mined more often

I wish I could add to the raves, because I was so excited to win this on eBay... but for me, Aretha’s vocals are way too wet/reverby/diffuse, which robs the music of so much of its strength and power. I generally like the instrumental mix, but her voice just doesn’t punch through and grab me the way it does in stereo. I’d love to hear a 5.1 mix of this album with a strong centered Aretha vocal, but I doubt that’ll ever happen. I gave this a 7, but honestly, it’s a 7 I’ll rarely (if ever) pop in again.

I wish I could add to the raves, because I was so excited to win this on eBay... but for me, Aretha’s vocals are way too wet/reverby/diffuse, which robs the music of so much of its strength and power. I generally like the instrumental mix, but her voice just doesn’t punch through and grab me the way it does in stereo. I’d love to hear a 5.1 mix of this album with a strong centered Aretha vocal, but I doubt that’ll ever happen. I gave this a 7, but honestly, it’s a 7 I’ll rarely (if ever) pop in again.

The MoFi version is excellent, though! If only in stereo. . . .

Back