Keith Emerson Band: Live in Moscow 2008

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I got a copy given to me for x-mas and just watched a bit (on the computer which doesn't have surround speakers attached so I'll comment on that part later)....first impression...pretty positive actually!

The filming is good and the sound is mix is good...the playing is super. Having both a bassist and guitarist in the band makes the sound heavier than ELP and helps cover for some of the bits that Keith can't play anymore. Of course the material is very heavy on ELP stuff but there's also some stuff from the quite good KE Band album that had just come out when this was filmed. Marc Bonilla handles the vocals well, not straying far from what Greg Lake did, and I'd say his voice is in better shape than Greg's nowadays. The big moog solo in Lucky Man kinda starts out a bit of a shambles but when he goes off and turns into a more extended improvised bit, even doing some theremin stuff, it's a lot better. When I saw the track listing had Keith's piano concerto 3rd movement I'd assumed it was his solo piano spot in the show but no - it's band "rock" version...interesting.

I'll try to get it into the big room to give the 5.1 mix a go next week when nobody else is home, as if I put it in the player now there probably would soon be nobody else home heheh.

When I saw the KE band perform the Piano Concert,o 3rd Movement, I thought that if ELP had recorded that in 1977, it would stand with "Tarkus" and "Karn Evil 9" as one of their great works. I was super impressed at how well it worked.

The downside of that show is that every time Keith played something on the big Moog, it was SO FREAKIN LOUD THAT MY EARPLUGS WERE ALMOST USELESS!!!

J. D.

Finally getting around the surround mix this morning....

Quite nice, some cool movement around the room with the lead synth lines....a higher res than dolby might have made this really superb. My only complaint is maybe the drums - way too much reverb/room on them...the vocals are right in your face while the drums sound like they're a block away.

Hi erverybody!
Got his one some days ago from amazon, but there was no sound coming from the rears. So I complained about it and got another one today. And – same result. Fronts, center and sw are there, but no rears. So my question is, has anyone encountered the same problem? Is there really surround sound on it? Or is it just me? I should add that all other dvds work fine.

I love the surround mix on this disc !! very very aggressive use of the rears - the very beginning, opening of KE9, in fact has the moog playing predominantly in the rears...

there is both a stereo and 5.1 track on the disc - is your receiver displaying 5.1 as the input?

Hi erverybody!
Got his one some days ago from amazon, but there was no sound coming from the rears. So I complained about it and got another one today. And – same result. Fronts, center and sw are there, but no rears. So my question is, has anyone encountered the same problem? Is there really surround sound on it? Or is it just me? I should add that all other dvds work fine.

thank you John,
yes, my receiver shows 5.1 input. Tried it on two different players and systems. As I said before, all other dvds work fine. Guess it must be a manufacturing error. I'm going to try to get a working disc. I love ELP, alway did.

Michael

This one showed up in my mailbox the other day as a surprise birthday present.

First, the concert is fantastic. Really tight, high energy band. I thought the performance here was much better than the ELP reunion at the 2010 High Voltage Rock Festival. Excellent performances of songs old and (at the time) new. (If you've never heard the Keith Emerson Band featuring Marc Bonilla album, grab a copy. It's excellent. It ranks up there with some of Emerson's best work.) The 5.1 mix was a nice surprise. More than just audience in the rears. Synth and guitar solos are sometimes sent to the back speakers. Keyboards are also often spread all around. Worth tracking down a copy.

(y) :upthumb :worthy

Last edited:
Back