Best Sounding Q8 Deck? Akai, Harmon, Pioneer?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghalteman

Opinions Asked For What is Best Q8 Playback DecK
I have been a fan of the Akai CR80-SS for years due to its great fidelity, however, I do detect some speed changes when tape are playing. Are there preferable Q8 machines that sound as good and don't have the speed problems? My Akai unit is in great condition.
Other decks I heard of highly are the Harman Kardon 8+ and Pioneer QH-44. If anyone has tried all tree, I'd appreciate a reply to this thread with the result between the three, best and worst. Thanks! I have not heard the Pioneer or Harman unit myself.

The Akai decks have the best motor torque for 8 tracks. I rarely have speed issues other than typical wow and flutter associated with varying tape tension and out of round rollers. The fidelity is acceptable to me, but doesn't compare to the Wollensak decks which have better dynamics but the worst motor for keeping consistent tape speed.

A_L

haven't listened to any others (well other then my old candle stereo 8 track recorder)

but I am very happy with my Technics RS-858US, my tech guy fixed it, he said the sound quality is superb for an 8 track player

that being said however, he did have problems with the motor (when he fixed it he said the motor ran slow......I never noticed but apparently the Technics have weak motors)

btw it was being fixed because the 4th channel (speaker) on quad tapes wouldn't play

Yes, the Technics struggle with extra long tapes, of which most quad tapes are (since they only play through twice as opposed to 4 times for stereo)

I have 2 Technics quad 8 track decks that need to be repaired. I would like to know who repaired your deck. I would really appreciate a contact.
Thanks'
Phil.

hey I used a place called "brightronics" http://www.kbsvr.com/?page=home

they have a lot of older tech guys who enjoy doing this stuff, their were a lot of nice vintage receivers both times I went, he also seemed to know a lot about quad as well, big fan of the sansui's qrx series

however this shop is meant primarily for large companies (like large computer repairs in bulk), so you may have to wait awhile, I only waited about 1.5 weeks, but was warned in advance

are you sure there isnt any audio places close to where you live? (I dont know if shipping these to London ont, would be a viable option for you- in terms of money, as well as possible damage - winter is coming....I dont think cold air is good for these units)

what Technics units do you have? I think there is 3 variations to the rs-858 at least, I think the rs-855 is quad as well

ps.s im only 21 yrs old so I dont have much experience with 8 tracks in general, what other units have you guys used? theres a really cool one called "Electrophonic" Solid state 4-channel sound system with a remote and a fake oscilliscope display

quick question- how easy was it to get a free 8 track in the 1970s? could you just go into an audio store and ask for a quad demo tape and walk off?

thanks Colin

hey I used a place called "brightronics" http://www.kbsvr.com/?page=home

they have a lot of older tech guys who enjoy doing this stuff, their were a lot of nice vintage receivers both times I went, he also seemed to know a lot about quad as well, big fan of the sansui's qrx series

however this shop is meant primarily for large companies (like large computer repairs in bulk), so you may have to wait awhile, I only waited about 1.5 weeks, but was warned in advance

are you sure there isnt any audio places close to where you live? (I dont know if shipping these to London ont, would be a viable option for you- in terms of money, as well as possible damage - winter is coming....I dont think cold air is good for these units)

what Technics units do you have? I think there is 3 variations to the rs-858 at least, I think the rs-855 is quad as well

ps.s im only 21 yrs old so I dont have much experience with 8 tracks in general, what other units have you guys used? theres a really cool one called "Electrophonic" Solid state 4-channel sound system with a remote and a fake oscilliscope display

quick question- how easy was it to get a free 8 track in the 1970s? could you just go into an audio store and ask for a quad demo tape and walk off?

thanks Colin
Hi Colin.
You're right. Canada would be a long haul to send these for repair. I'm thinking more in the New York City area. I have 2 rs 858 units. One has the blue vu meters and no noise supressor switch. The other has clear vu meters and a noise suppressor switch. I'm not aware of a third version.
I've never received any free quad 8 tracks back in the 70's. Maybe I just didn't look hard enough. In fact, locating quad 8 tracks was hard enough by itself. Not many retailers regularly stocked them. When I did find some it was a very rewarding experience.
Phil

Opinions Asked For What is Best Q8 Playback DecK
I have been a fan of the Akai CR80-SS for years due to its great fidelity, however, I do detect some speed changes when tape are playing. Are there preferable Q8 machines that sound as good and don't have the speed problems? My Akai unit is in great condition.
Other decks I heard of highly are the Harman Kardon 8+ and Pioneer QH-44. If anyone has tried all tree, I'd appreciate a reply to this thread with the result between the three, best and worst. Thanks! I have not heard the Pioneer or Harman unit myself.

In terms of fidelity, my preference in Q8 players has always been the H/K 8+, followed by the Superscope TD-48, the Akai, and the JVC 4ED-1205. I've never owned the Pioneer unit, but wasn't that impressed with their 2 channel deck. Not to be judgemental, it may indeed sound fine ...

Bottom line is you can't go wrong with the Harmon Kardon. Plus it has some cool eject features only found in record/playback units.

actually I think there is 4 versions of the rs-858

a) rs-858 US with quad headphones and and noise suppressor
technics_rs858us.jpg

b) rs-858 DUS with quad headphones and instead of the noise suppressor has auto ejector switch thingy ( don't have picture unfortunately)...this is the one I have actually, I said US I meant DUS (its the one with the orange-yellow background on the vu meters)

c) rs-858 "D" almost the same as the DUS, but has an extra switch on left side
rs-858u.JPG

d) base technics unit rs-858??
Bw8kzwBWkKGrHqJhEv10DUPZBMIoHReN_12.jpg

btw what were the cool eject features?

Last edited:

technics_rs858us.jpg

b) rs-858 DUS with quad headphones and instead of the noise suppressor has auto ejector switch thingy ( don't have picture unfortunately)...this is the one I have actually, I said US I meant DUS (its the one with the orange-yellow background on the vu meters)

rs-858u.JPG

Wow, 4 total. I did not know this. So which one was the last to be manufactured. Mine has the front and rear headphone jacks. Next to these is a switch which selects between continuous play and pana-ject.

not sure which was the last manufactured? I am guessing that technics either

a) when creating this deck- they tried to do to much at once, creating problems so each generation tried to fix the design flaws of the previous generation (basically like cars, generally the latter model years fix all the problems of the first generation)

b) wanted to make some extra dough so they kept reusing the same design, while making minor differences to sell more

who knows?

btw heres a pic of a DUS

Technics_RS-858DUS_Stereo_8-Track_w.jpg
[/IMG]

technics_rs858us.jpg

rs-858u.JPG

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I think the 'cool eject features' referred to are end-of-track and end-of-cartridge eject, in addition to the regular instant variety. Other than these, which have a dedicated button, the other buttons are replay, instant-eject, and track-select.

HARMAN KARDON 8+ 1.JPGHARMAN KARDON 8+ 2.JPG

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I think the 'cool eject features' referred to are end-of-track and end-of-cartridge eject, in addition to the regular instant variety. Other than these, which have a dedicated button, the other buttons are replay, instant-eject, and track-select.

View attachment 3410View attachment 3411

This HK is exactly the same as the sony in the other thread-just a different face and name.

I bought a pioneer QT 2100 some time ago on ebay and I have been totally happy with the fidelity. it has a motor big enough to power a hybrid car and pulls tapes with no discerable effort It has reinvigorated my interest in Q8's.

I have 2 Technics quad 8 track decks that need to be repaired. I would like to know who repaired your deck. I would really appreciate a contact.
Thanks'
Phil.

I know this is a couple years old but it may help folks looking in the past and future. I've been a "quad head" for 35+ years now, got my first system in the early 70s. The thing now as most know, it's very hard to find someone to repair a unit, and for a good price. I had a guy that did mine for many years but he retired so I had to find a new place for my repairs. I researched places for a few months, even sending some receivers & tape decks to the top 3 choices I made from my list. They all did good as far as repairs but one stood out because of the fair price and good turn-around time, that's the one below. I still use him, he's repairing my Technics 858 as of this post. I've had 4 receivers, 3 8-track recorder/players and 4 R2R decks done there so far (maybe more, I forget, it's an age thing) and all have come back working great. I'm selling off some of my excess now as I have 25 years of collecting quad stuff. (tapes, LPs & hardware) I say do some research, don't just take my word but, add this place to your list, I give them 2 thumbs up for quad hardware repair.

The place is TECH1ELECTRONICS. Check them out HERE

My contact there is Dudley, if you use him let him know JC from Mn told you, I don't get anything special but he likes to know about stuff like that, I think it's called referrals or something.

Hi Quadmaker.
Thanks for the tip. At some point I will send one of my Technics to them for repair. I was hoping to find someone local to avoid shipping but it seems that's not going to happen.
At any rate I'm not currently in any hurry because I now have 3 Akai decks in perfect working order. In fact one of them is still in the original box. I opened it to check it out and then put it back for storage. This is the baby I will probably use if I ever get around to conversions someday.
Phil.

I know this is a couple years old but it may help folks looking in the past and future. I've been a "quad head" for 35+ years now, got my first system in the early 70s. The thing now as most know, it's very hard to find someone to repair a unit, and for a good price. I had a guy that did mine for many years but he retired so I had to find a new place for my repairs. I researched places for a few months, even sending some receivers & tape decks to the top 3 choices I made from my list. They all did good as far as repairs but one stood out because of the fair price and good turn-around time, that's the one below. I still use him, he's repairing my Technics 858 as of this post. I've had 4 receivers, 3 8-track recorder/players and 4 R2R decks done there so far (maybe more, I forget, it's an age thing) and all have come back working great. I'm selling off some of my excess now as I have 25 years of collecting quad stuff. (tapes, LPs & hardware) I say do some research, don't just take my word but, add this place to your list, I give them 2 thumbs up for quad hardware repair.

The place is TECH1ELECTRONICS. Check them out HERE

My contact there is Dudley, if you use him let him know JC from Mn told you, I don't get anything special but he likes to know about stuff like that, I think it's called referrals or something.

cool, always need of a good repair spot, up here in Canada it can be hard to find people to repair older stuff (only want to repair Ipads, cellphones etc)

let the forum know what equipment your thinking of selling as well

I like the Akais and Pioneer Quad 8 decks. Technics is excellent but weaker motor on long cartridges. Which is another Wollensak/Sanyo weakness.

Back in the day, I sold virtually all of them. h/k/Sony sounds good. I own Akai & Panasonic. Both sound good, though I prefer the Akai motor. Akai was my first Quad piece in early '73, and has been on every main system I've owned since then. My decks:

1331589631-39.jpg

8trackbig.jpg

Thank you everyone. I missed a bid today on Ebay for a Harmon Kardon 8+. I guess I have to live with my Akai. The only time I heard the HK 8+ was from some sample Q8 single track conversions Jon U. did many years ago. I thought his deck sounded super! My Akai has new transistors and sounds about as good as they get, so at least for now I have to live with it.

Last edited:
Back