Using an Oscilloscope to Display a Quad Signal - Scanned Article

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
QQ Forum Member 'rustyandi' sent me the following 2 page scan to post as he wanted to share it with all of you, but did not have the ability to "make it digital".

I was happy to help. Maybe he can chime into the thread and let us know where he found this and if he ever did it. It sure looks interesting for the electronic hobbiest.

scope1.jpg
scope2.jpg

Hey everyone. I just received a PM from QQ Member Donald Patten, who was the original author of the above article!! It seems someone copied his 1972 article and it somehow was published in Radio-Electronics magazine in 1977, which is probably where Rustyandi got it in the first place.

Here is the PM I recieved from Don, and I have re-opened this thread for comment. The offending article is also posted in the above linked thread by Sci-Fi.

The RE mag Quad scope display 1977 is a carbon copy of my AES paper and db mag both dated 1972 , five years earlier. I see the thread is locked so I cannot respond. Please forward this to your moderator .
Thank you
Don Patten

That's cool. Don deserves credit. I still haven't built one, but that's the kind of thing that got me interested in electronics, and by extension, led me to hi-fi and quad.

I built this up on a piece of perfboard years ago and verified that it works, it's probably still lurking in one of my junk drawers. To have an oscilloscope sitting beside my audio rack would be a bit too nerdy even for me! I never tried using it for servicing quad equipment but can see how it could be useful.

Morning all, I saw this thread and I think it’s where I should post this question. I have a Heathkit AD-1013 Audio Oscilloscope which seems to work fine but not sure if under 4 channels it does or maybe I am connecting it incorrectly.
I have the Pioneers 800A preamp which has two set of outputs to the quad amp of the same series. So I connected the second set of outputs to the oscilloscope. I do see all four channel (individually and stereo) working but when I switch to 4 channel mode I just get a dot in the middle. So before I start dismantling the oscilloscope and verify the electricals are all ok, is there another way to connect the oscilloscope to the system? I see the oscilloscope as a plus when listening to music, especially when you have a few cart/needles and want to check channel separation. I also go from so many different inputs that it’s a sanity check. I have the following attached to the system Tape deck/Tuner/2 Turntables (one is connected to a demodulator)/Apple TV through a 6 channel output DAC. So as you can see I fiddle with separation a few times simple because of the connections.
Regards,
maspadaro

Maspadaro

I have not seen a schematic for the heath kit scope. Where should I look?

Don

Hi sorry for the delay I have been very busy and out of touch with the QQ forum. The schematics are about 30 pages at least. I will have to see which pages are relevant. When I bought the scope the book to build it came with it, which will help me fix it. That was the reason why I paid what I paid. I hope I can do it soon.
Thank you for the reply Don.
Regards,
maspadaro

Back