Oppo BDP-93 Networking Universal Blu-ray Player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good job, Chris.

UGH. Now I have to restrain myself, although Blu-Ray 3D has no interest from me at all.

Cool! a new player! Not as nice looking as the '83, imo, but I'd still be proud to own a '93 if ever I did.

Good job, Chris.

UGH. Now I have to restrain myself, although Blu-Ray 3D has no interest from me at all.

I can't get a feel for how well 3D will do. So far, it seems to be on a par with SACD as far as market acceptance, meaning nobody I know cares. For whatever reason 3D is getting widespread support from manufacturers but not much software support yet. This player should be excellent.

I will be interested to see if Oppo brings out a new SE model based on the 93, and what it will be priced at. I am looking to upgrade from my 970 but will wait for the new model(s).

Sorry for this silly question: If you play a stereo source through the MC analog outs, won't it just come through the FL & FR all the same?

Not a silly question at all.

On some players, like my Denon 3930, the 2 channel outs use different/better DACs than the MC outputs so in theory the 2 ch outs should sound better.

Not 100% sure but I think the same thing applies to the Oppo 83 because on the 83SE I believe it was those separate 2 ch outputs that were upgraded (but I stand to be corrected on that point, if necessary).

You are probably right about the stereo source coming out of the FR/FL on the MC outputs, so for most people that may be good enough.

I don't know how if many players use a better DAC for the dedicated stereo output but I do know that I see that mentioned as an important player attribute at Steve Hoffman Forum. I don't bother to connect the dedicated stereo analog output personally so I can't comment from first hand experience.

On some players, like my Denon 3930, the 2 channel outs use different/better DACs than the MC outputs so in theory the 2 ch outs should sound better.

Not 100% sure but I think the same thing applies to the Oppo 83 because on the 83SE I believe it was those separate 2 ch outputs that were upgraded (but I stand to be corrected on that point, if necessary).

You are probably right about the stereo source coming out of the FR/FL on the MC outputs, so for most people that may be good enough.

Sorry for this silly question: If you play a stereo source through the MC analog outs, won't it just come through the FL & FR all the same?

Like the BDP-83, all outputs should be active at the same time.
And like the BDP-83, you should have a choice in the main menu if you want to chose "Stereo" or set it to downmix a multi-channel source.

Oh no another upgrade coming!:mad:@:

Not a big deal really. I'm not all that hot on 3d and I'll wait until you can get a reasonbly priced display that you don't need those silly glasses. So figure about 4-5 years and there will be another upgrade or 3 in that time anyway.

AFAIK, the BDP83 SE uses far better DACs, and far more of them.
The standard version uses a cirrus Logic DAC per channel, and the SE uses 4 ESS per channel.....
It makes my old Denon 2910 sound like a transistor radio by comparison.

As for the 93, why 2 HDMI ports?
Don't get it - Oppo themselves say not to use HDMI for audio on the 83 SE model......

AFAIK, the BDP83 SE uses far better DACs, and far more of them.
The standard version uses a cirrus Logic DAC per channel, and the SE uses 4 ESS per channel.....
It makes my old Denon 2910 sound like a transistor radio by comparison.

As for the 93, why 2 HDMI ports?
Don't get it - Oppo themselves say not to use HDMI for audio on the 83 SE model......

Two HDMI ports allow 3D processing with one and audio processing with the other since few people have HDMI 1.4a switching and processing which would allow both with one HDMI port. It is true that the 83SE is designed to be used for analog and doesn't have two HDMI ports but this new model is designed primarily to use with HDMI audio and video processing although it obviously works fine for analog 7.1 if needed.

They never said that. They said that if you use the HDMI output, there is no reason to buy the 83SE over the 83. The HDMI outputs in both units are identical.

Well, I'm pretty bummed. Finally decided to pull the trigger and get into the Blu-ray world and order a BDP-80, only to find them now unavailable. The thing I don't get is that now the 83 has also been discontinued and the rumor is months before the 93 becomes available. That leaves Oppo with no product except their $900 SE which seems like it would be putting a real hurt on their cash flow these days. Since there is no plans for a replacement for the 80, guess I'm probably going to look elsewhere and have to have two players- one for BR and keep my old Oppo 980 for DVD-A and Sacd since I don't really have enough interest in BR to spend $500 with so many much less expensive players out there.

K

Well, I'm pretty bummed. Finally decided to pull the trigger and get into the Blu-ray world and order a BDP-80, only to find them now unavailable. The thing I don't get is that now the 83 has also been discontinued and the rumor is months before the 93 becomes available.
K

That's pretty shocking to just suddenly discontinue these models.

Their website says: Due to a shortage of major components, we have ceased production of this model.

Almost sounds like this shortage snuck up on them with no warning, otherwise they would have had new models ready to go.

Maybe a bigger company has cornered the component market for their own players, or (conspiracy theory here) just to knock down the successful newcomer a notch or two.
Anyone know what these major components are?

If the 83SE is still available perhaps the the parts in question don't apply to the SE (DACs?).

Their authorized Canadian seller, with which I have no affiliation, still has stock. http://shop.solutionsav.ca/

Could this be temporary...cease production doen't necessarily mean discontinued.

No, it's not temporary. It's permanent. I would think it was the Loader that was discontinued because they are always being improved and their models (BDP-80, 83 & 83SE) were designed around that specific model.

Back