Oppo BDP-93 Networking Universal Blu-ray Player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slightly off topic here, glad they have built in Wi-Fi here in these things if they're going to offer streaming. I have 3 devices that need hard wire internet connections in one room alone, let alone the other ones!

No, it's not temporary. It's permanent. I would think it was the Loader that was discontinued because they are always being improved and their models (BDP-80, 83 & 83SE) were designed around that specific model.

When things like the loaders/transports become unavailable it always worries me.

Will there be enough in the spare parts pipeline to handle future repairs?

By California law, OPPO has to supply parts for X amount of time for their products.
If the model is still under warranty and they don't have the parts to fix a particular issue, the legal way would be, to replace such machine with a current model so they can fulfill their obligation.

When things like the loaders/transports become unavailable it always worries me.

Will there be enough in the spare parts pipeline to handle future repairs?

Almost certainly parts will be available for the small number of repairs since repair is rarely the choice due to cost and replacement almost always the choice for Blu-ray and DVD players in need of repair these days. It may be an easy do-it-yourself repair to replace the loader but even then the part cost and uncertainty of a fix likely means I wouldn't mess with it. Only the BDP-83SE and NuForce editions are so expensive that repair is a viable economic option and those models were limited in quantities and Oppo should be prepared to handle repairs for those. Extended warranty terms likely have the option of replacement with a current model or refund and repair for the less expensive models just won't make any sense.

Over the last 12 years or so, any VCR or CD or DVD player that needed repair has simply been replaced but I have never had an expensive model breakdown.

It may be an easy do-it-yourself repair to replace the loader but even then the part cost and uncertainty of a fix likely means I wouldn't mess with it. Only the BDP-83SE and NuForce editions are so expensive that repair is a viable economic option and those models were limited in quantities and Oppo should be prepared to handle repairs for those.

Maybe, if you're talking mass produced sub-$200.00 players but this is OPPO we're talking about here. ;)

I will be interested to see if Oppo brings out a new SE model based on the 93, and what it will be priced at. I am looking to upgrade from my 970 but will wait for the new model(s).
Not going to happen.
What they are doing is creating a new model, specifically designed for maximum audio quality from the ground up.
This will be the BDP-95, I believe

I will be interested to see if Oppo brings out a new SE model based on the 93, and what it will be priced at. I am looking to upgrade from my 970 but will wait for the new model(s).
Not going to happen.
What they are doing is creating a new model, specifically designed for maximum audio quality from the ground up.
This will be the BDP-95, I believe

Neil,

How do you know that a BDP-95 (not too sure if the model number is correct, OPPO hasn't officially released that info) will be completely different (from the ground up) than the forthcoming BBDP-93? This statement sounds like you are saying that everything, including the loader assembly, case, etc, will be different. It sounds to me like that "Improved Model" will be pretty close to what the SE version of the BDP-83 was, with the exception of possibly adding dedicated stereo outputs (which the current photo of the BDP-93 doesn't show), on top of the better power supply and improved audio board. It seems that OPPO may be dropping the "Special Edition" moniker and giving this player it's own model number.

From the article http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/transports/high-definition-dvd-players-hd-dvd-blu-ray/oppo-bdp-93

Do you have in mind a higher-end player like the BDP-83SE once this model ships?

Yes. We are working on a higher-end model that will, unlike the BDP-83SE, be built from the ground up for a higher quality analogue audio level of performance among other improvements and upgrades. This product isn't yet scheduled for release, so it will be after the BDP-93 is well on the market.

So maybe it is more close to the Nuforce edition, or other mods out there.

From the article http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/transports/high-definition-dvd-players-hd-dvd-blu-ray/oppo-bdp-93

Do you have in mind a higher-end player like the BDP-83SE once this model ships?

Yes. We are working on a higher-end model that will, unlike the BDP-83SE, be built from the ground up for a higher quality analogue audio level of performance among other improvements and upgrades. This product isn't yet scheduled for release, so it will be after the BDP-93 is well on the market.

So maybe it is more close to the Nuforce edition, or other mods out there.

The statement in the article by OPPO is not really saying much.
Although, time will tell, once they release more spec information.

I saw an earlier question that I'm not sure was completely answered...The other reason for having a "spare" 2-channel audio output is for whole home distribution. The 7.1 channel audio output goes to the 7.1-channel receiver and the 2-channel audio output goes to the distribution system. Without the 2-channel output, it makes the custom installer have to work a bit harder - such as either sending digital to everywhere or externally converting a SPDIF output to analog before distribution.

Most people won't have to worry about that, but there are some that do.

Along those lines, the inclusion of component video outputs help, as well - as long as the HDCP analog sunset requirements don't get them first.

Thanks for posting that! Not ready to splurge for a 3D tv and see the news announcers popping out at me.......well maybe a select few. :)

Now that the BDP-83 SE is also no longer available, it looks like I'll be buying the BDP-93. I've got too many unopened discs piling up to wait for the BDP-95 to be my first blu-ray player. It's a good thing the unit has an optical digital out, as I can use my own ADCs.

So what do we do, buy the 93 or wait for the 95??? I suspect a lot of us here are using legacy equipment, obviously care about audio quality, and depend upon the rca analog out connections (Though some here don't).
Since I have a PS3 I can wait I guess but I'm stuck with 2 channels for my blurays since I can't plug an hdmi cable into my sansui.......unless someone out there is making a converter. I'm probably the last one here still using an oppo 970........which still skips the first song on my Heathen sacd....... :(

Back