Oppo BDP-93 Networking Universal Blu-ray Player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got done test driving my new 93. Overall it sounds fantastic. I only had time to hook up the HDMI and played a couple of dvd-a's, a couple of sacd's, Blu-Rays with both DTS MA and DD True HD and Tom Petty DTT DTS MA.
My only issues so far with my limited testing time were:

5.1 layer of SACD does not play DSD . It works with PCM. Although it lights up on my receiver as passing DSD and the time elapses on the tv display as dsd so it is passing something.

The first second or so is being clipped off the front of all tracks on both Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" and Eagles "Hotel California" (in 5.1 of course).

I will report more as soon as I have played every possible type of disc under every set up configuration.

Limited NDA Lift Up to Beta 26-1108 Firmware.
Anyone have questions?:yikes

Is the Vudu streaming on board? I'm interested in Vudu's 1080p HDX streaming option. I'm not impressed with the picture quality of Netfix over my children's Wii. The 480p signal varries from fair to poor. The analog stereo sound is pretty good and there are some movies like "The Keep" that aren't even on DVD but the overall experience is so-so.

Cheers, Michael

Originally Posted by jsulzinger View Post
5.1 layer of SACD does not play DSD .
The first second or so is being clipped off the front of all tracks on both Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" and Eagles "Hotel California" (in 5.1 of course).

Both of these are known issues and will be addressed in a future firmware.

yes but why do they release stuff again with problems to start with, that have to be later re dressed.

Is the Vudu streaming on board? I'm interested in Vudu's 1080p HDX streaming option. I'm not impressed with the picture quality of Netfix over my children's Wii. The 480p signal varries from fair to poor. The analog stereo sound is pretty good and there are some movies like "The Keep" that aren't even on DVD but the overall experience is so-so.
So far, Blockbuster & Netflix are the only streaming media partners with others soon to follow.
This is all I can say.

Because of the Marvel chipset, Netflix looks surprisingly good.

Originally Posted by jsulzinger View Post

yes but why do they release stuff again with problems to start with, that have to be later re dressed.
The player has not been "Officially" released to the public. Although, OPPO has offered some customers a chance to get the player early (Pre-Release), this helps get the BDP-93 in many more homes to see if there are any more issues with different combinations of equipment. So far, there has been a few and OPPO is working on fixes. If this does not satisfy you, wait for the "Official" release of the player.

So far, Blockbuster & Netflix are the only streaming media partners with others soon to follow.
This is all I can say.

Because of the Marvel chipset, Netflix looks surprisingly good.

Thank you for the update. Does anyone here wonder why receiver manufacturers aren't licensing Netflix & Vudu?

Cheers, Michael

The player has not been "Officially" released to the public. Although, OPPO has offered some customers a chance to get the player early (Pre-Release), this helps get the BDP-93 in many more homes to see if there are any more issues with different combinations of equipment. So far, there has been a few and OPPO is working on fixes. If this does not satisfy you, wait for the "Official" release of the player.

I understand what you mean but my point is they had similar issues last time ...it's like they keep having the same problems every time there's a new model.... it's not like Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" and Eagles "Hotel California" are new discs with new authoring techniques..if it was something like "toy story 3" or "Avatar" it would sound a lot less depressing....
what's the bet that next years model will do the same thing in beta testing...the odds are shortening....and the faults however few there are, seem to be getting very predictable..

I understand what you mean but my point is they had similar issues last time ...it's like they keep having the same problems every time there's a new model.... it's not like Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" and Eagles "Hotel California" are new discs with new authoring techniques..if it was something like "toy story 3" or "Avatar" it would sound a lot less depressing....
what's the bet that next years model will do the same thing in beta testing...the odds are shortening....and the faults however few there are, seem to be getting very predictable..
What same problems are you referring too? This player uses a different Mediatek chipset (along with switching to Marvell from Anchor Bay) and a few kinks need to be ironed out for every combination of equipment. As of now, for this caliber of player, it's pretty stable now. Otherwise, they would have not released it to anybody. I don't know what the big deal is. If you don't like it......stop complaining and buy a Denon. After some time, I'm sure you'll be complaining about them and their CS, etc.

What same problems are you referring too? This player uses a different Mediatek chipset (along with switching to Marvell from Anchor Bay) and a few kinks need to be ironed out for every combination of equipment. As of now, for this caliber of player, it's pretty stable now. Otherwise, they would have not released it to anybody. I don't know what the big deal is. If you don't like it......stop complaining and buy a Denon. After some time, I'm sure you'll be complaining about them and their CS, etc.

the point is not that there is a glitch on a new disc, it's that the glitch is always on the same old disc, with the same old fault...

I'm hoping that perhaps some of the folks that already have the BDP-93 can answer this question. Does the -93 have as fast loading and response times as the -83? Maybe I'm being paranoid, but on the OPPO web site they use the 'Fast Loading & Response Times' wording for the BDP-80 and the BDP-83, but not for the BDP-93.

I owned a lot of Pioneer laser disk players back in the day, so I thought I would be safe with that brand when I purchased my first Blu-ray player. I should have done more research. I bought the Pioneer BDP-320FD player and I've regretted it ever since. It's like watching paint dry waiting for that player to respond.

I originally heard about the BDP-83 being fast from Scott Wilkinson from the Ultimate AV Magazine web site. He thinks it's the best somewhat reasonably price player. But when I started to search for it to buy it, I found out it was no longer available unless you pay a big premium. So I figured I would wait for the -93.

I'm just hoping that someone can confirm that Oppo hasn't perhaps reevaluated priorities and decided that fast access speed isn't as important any more.

And does anybody know what's going on with the release date? They mentioned in the Audioholics article that it would be out in time for the Christmas buying season. There's only a couple of weeks left!

I'm hoping that perhaps some of the folks that already have the BDP-93 can answer this question. Does the -93 have as fast loading and response times as the -83?
And does anybody know what's going on with the release date? They mentioned in the Audioholics article that it would be out in time for the Christmas buying season. There's only a couple of weeks left!

Loading on Blu-ray & DVD discs are equivalent to the BDP-83, perhaps slightly faster with some discs.

OPPO is hoping for an "Official" release by the end of the year but will not release it for general sales if the firmware isn't ready.

My only experience with load speeds for Blu-ray players is the Pioneer BDP-320, as I mentioned above. Can anyone provide some quantification for how much faster the OPPO is than that? Or how the OPPO Blu-rays compare to the load speeds for good DVD players?

The new firmware is released! I just installed it and as far as I can tell all of the problems are solved....I have never owned another blu-ray player and never owned anything close to a high-end cd or dvd player but I have to say this thing is slick.

My only experience with load speeds for Blu-ray players is the Pioneer BDP-320, as I mentioned above. Can anyone provide some quantification for how much faster the OPPO is than that? Or how the OPPO Blu-rays compare to the load speeds for good DVD players?

Here is a thread at AVSForums that compares the Pioneer BDP-320 to the Oppo BDP-83 for loading speed with various discs. Just quickly glancing at some of the times, it appears the Oppo loads in about half the time. Winston9332 has probably compared the Oppo BDP-83 to the Oppo BDP-93, he has been comparing various players over there for years and you should be able to find a lot of information about player loading speeds from his posts.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1142263

The Oppo Blu-ray players are great DVD players in my opinion and load DVD really fast but Blu-ray discs can contain 5 times as much data or more than a DVD and the Blu-ray discs that use the Java navigation structure require significant load times if the standard of comparison is DVD. Just taking wild guesses, I would think a normal DVD would load in about 10 seconds, the simplest Blu-ray disc using the HDMV navigation structure might load in 20 seconds and the worst case heavily Java laden Blu-ray disc might take 90 seconds. Maybe the average Blu-ray disc loads in 30 or 40 seconds today with a fast player like the PS3 or Oppo BDP-93. I don't care enough about this topic to time loading various discs, it is a non-issue to me but after using various players and viewing hundreds of Blu-ray discs, I can say the load times vary greatly by disc and by player. I have two very slow loading disc players, a Sony BDP-S1 Blu-ray player and a Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD player. I have had these players for years and both are still connected and I use both some, not much. I haven't ever tried to determine which is slowest but a load time of about 2 minutes is not unusual and a time from power up to disc tray opening might be 30 seconds. Players loading that slow don't bother me so I sure don't care about a few seconds difference with current models.

Back