Oppo BDP-93 Networking Universal Blu-ray Player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. I just bought my Oppo BDP-80 last July and it's discontinued already.
I've been very happy with it in terms of music playback (not a huge video guy) and I suspect I'll be using it for years to come.
I still have a 970 and an old Samsung HD-841 stashed away somewhere, and gave my HD-941 to my son.
These products sure seem to cycle fast.......

I've got the BDP-95 and am loving it so far. I like to alternate between analog and hdmi outputs depending on source with this model. This was pricey, but worth it to me.

FYI: As of yesterday, the March 18th Beta Firmware is now "Official" and can be downloaded from OPPO's Website.
Of course, those of you that are running the previous "Beta" version will NOT have to update.

I also just rec'd the BDP-95, and other than this annoying navigation issue with DVD-Audio discs (if you don't have a monitor and are used to bypassing the menu), I'm loving the player.

Funny though, Oppo's tech support told me over the phone and via email that bypassing the menu was simply not possible and that one HAD to have a monitor to navigate the OSD for DVD-A discs. They did not believe me that I had two players that did just that (and did it well). So I made the little video demo and hopefully they can add this to a future firmware update. I'm just baffled that with all the BDP-95's bells and whistles, it can't navigate the menu like much older (and less expensive) players...

Leaving aside this annoyance, sonically, the BDP-95 is a monster. I'm really, really thrilled with the way it sounds, and it effectively consolidated a couple of players.

I also just rec'd the BDP-95, and other than this annoying navigation issue with DVD-Audio discs (if you don't have a monitor and are used to bypassing the menu), I'm loving the player.

Funny though, Oppo's tech support told me over the phone and via email that bypassing the menu was simply not possible and that one HAD to have a monitor to navigate the OSD for DVD-A discs. They did not believe me that I had two players that did just that (and did it well). So I made the little video demo and hopefully they can add this to a future firmware update. I'm just baffled that with all the BDP-95's bells and whistles, it can't navigate the menu like much older (and less expensive) players...

Leaving aside this annoyance, sonically, the BDP-95 is a monster. I'm really, really thrilled with the way it sounds, and it effectively consolidated a couple of players.
That is interesting. I've owned all OPPO since their DV-970 DVD player. I have the BDP-93 and will check this out. I've always had to load a disc, hit "Stop", then "Enter" on the remote to get DVD-A disc to start playing.

I think I figured out your problem. The OPPO players work differently in that, once you load the DVD-A and it goes to the menu, all you need to do is push "Enter" on the remote. I see you are pressing the "Stop" button first. You need to bypass that and just press the "Enter" button. Otherwise, the player has memory and will begin to play from the point that you pressed the "Stop" button, and you begin to confuse the player by pressing "Enter" multiple times until it realizes what exactly you want it to do.

Hope that helps! :)

Yes, however, depending on the Menu of the disc, it can have either an intro, or a transition period before the Menu Button becomes available to the remote, and hopefully the default button of the disc's Menu is "Play." Then, obviously, Enter works at that point. Which explains the delay on the Tommy DVD-A when you hit Enter (there is an intro and delay before the button becomes available). Some DVD-As, like those from WB/Rhino, etc. are authored to autoplay, so those discs obviously play the content as soon as they spin up.

The point of my video was that my previous DVD-A players were able to simply bypass all this Menu B.S. quite easily. This should be easily fixed via a firmware update, should Oppo feel that it's a worthwhile feature to have the navigational abilities of 10 year-old DVD-A players. There are a couple comments on the video that suggest Oppo's engineers are looking into this.

Another weird navigational issue with the new Rush Moving Pictures DVD-A using the BDP-95: I can't skip back to previous tracks from "Vital Signs." Keeps going back to the beginning of the track.

Performance-wise, the BDP-95 is phenomenal.

^ Well, I've tested many a DVD-A and can tell you that all I need to do is press the "Enter" button on the remote with some discs, while others would just begin to play.

You might want to report your requests directly to OPPO Digital. I can tell you that I know of none of the Beta Testers seeing a problem with playing their DVD-A discs.

Yes, Oppo is aware of this, which prompted the making of the video since their response was that they were not aware of any player that could bypass the Menu. When they didn't believe that I had a couple DVD-A players - including an Onkyo universal DVD-A/SACD player - that could bypass the menu in the manner explained above, I made the video. Looks like it got to the engineers.

Again, "Enter" works, but you sometimes have to wait (like the "Tommy" DVD-A), as explained above.

P.S. found a disc I simply cannot navigate with the BDP-95 without a monitor: Bonnie Raitt's Nick of Time. Next time I fire up the projector, I'll remember to pop that disc in and see what's going on with the menu.

An official firmware update was released a few days ago, July 13.

Very glad they added the DVD-Audio "Direct Play" feature.

OPPO BDP-93/BDP-95 Blu-ray Disc Player Firmware Update
Release Information:

Release date: July 13, 2011
Category: Latest Official Release

Main Version: BDP9x-52-0707
Loader Version: CN0900
Sub Version: MCU93-09-0218 (BDP-93), MCU95-08-0218 (BDP-95)

Release Notes:

This version is designed for the OPPO BDP-93 and BDP-95 Blu-ray Disc players. This version is the same as the latest public beta release version BDP9x-52-0707B. Comparing to the previous official release version BDP9x-42-0323, the major changes included in this version are:

Added VUDU HD Movies streaming. Access VUDU at the Home or Source Menu.
The Netflix interface is upgraded to version 2.1. This upgrade allows for Canadian customers to stream Netflix and adds the "Search" function.
Added the Zoom and Aspect Ratio (AR) adjustment for BD-Java enabled discs (available on HDMI 1 only). To take advantage of this functionality, set the Primary Output to HDMI 1 (Video Setup), use a resolution other than “Source Direct”, and use the HDMI 1 output on the BDP-93. During the disc playback, press the ZOOM button to change the zoom level and AR on the fly. A momentarily black screen may be observed but this is normal. Please note that 3D BD-Java Blu-rays do not allow for Zoom adjustments.
Improved the Speaker Configuration options under Audio Processing. It is now possible to independently set distances for each speaker (previously speaker groups were treated as linked pairs), speaker distances can now be set to the actual spatial distance of the speakers (previously no speaker could be set further from listening position and the Front Left/Right speakers), “Test Tones” can now be used in conjunction with the player’s internal trim controls, speaker distances can now be set in quarter foot increments and speakers no longer require a minimum distance.
Added a new option for "Volume Control" under Setup -> Audio Processing. This function allows for enabling or disabling the analog volume controls (also known as Variable Audio). If set to "OFF" then the VOL-/+ keys on the remote will no longer affect the analog audio output.
Added "Direct Play" support for DVD-Audio titles. After loading the DVD-Audio title, pressing STOP followed by PLAY on the remote control will directly access the first Group/Title, bypassing any menu.
Improved HDMI compatibility with some Audio/Video (AV) receivers. Some customers reported that after updating to the previous Official 42-0323 firmware, HDMI handshake problems (such as momentary black screen, audio and/or video dropout,flashing screen, etc.) were observed, and in most cases, it only happened on HDMI 1 not on HDMI 2.
Upgraded the Blu-ray loader driver (CN0900). This upgrade should result in smoother and quieter disc operation.
Added OGG and OGM Vorbis media support.
Added ID-Tag support for APE and FLAC files. Now these formats will show Title, Artist, Album and Genre on screen when played back at the Home Menu. Embedded Album Art is also supported for FLAC files.
Improved access and read speed to external hard drive (HDD) connected with USB or eSATA, especially when two external HDDs are connected in parallel.
Improved BD-Live connectivity. For example, "MovieIQ" will now properly connect and download additional media on select Sony Pictures Blu-rays.
Improved DLNA performance, which includes faster indexing and more reliable media playback, and added additional DLNA server support.
Fixed the incorrect vertical stretch on some 4:3 DVD films, such as "TWELVE O'CLOCK HIGH" (FOX 2002). This issue could be observed when TV Aspect Ratio is set to "16:9 Wide/Auto" and no zooming operation is performed.
Improved general disc compatibility based on recent and upcoming Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted disc samples.

All features and improvements of the previous firmware are also included in this version.

man, I waited long time for my Oppo and I am so glad I did. I ended up with the 93. I have learned a very valuable lesson. You get what you pay for. After a few years of dvd-a with a jvc dvd deck and sacd on a sony (belive it or not), the Oppo outshines both in reproduction, especially with the sacd's. I really had no idea of just what I was missing. Being a cheap shit, I fig. just a basic player would suffice as long as it was able to decode the high rez formats. And I thought the decks I had did a good job. Well, my trash collector is now a proud owner of sony and jvc dvd palyers, this si where they belong. Oppo has outdone itself as far as I can see with this unit. I did at one time have a sd Oppo and it was the less exp. model, yet it still has the damm best video of any sd deck I had seen. Not being a tech or video expert I just know what sounds good and looks good. And the other perks like vudu and netflix. Not to mention I am re-discovering my cd collection all over again. having to deal with an older Integra with analog 5.1 this unit has made that Intera well worth my money and time.

I have it on good authority that the new Oppo firmware also supports iso. Blu ray and DVD. And also the DLNA is improving. A mate of mine in the US tells me things are getting better on this front and he is happily streaming 5.1 FLAC

I haven' t actually bought one yet, but I'm wondering what other experience Quad users are having with the new firmware..

Why oh Why oh Why can't they start selling these in the UK? really *isses me off

OD

well it's been a while since I had a chance to get back. I have been enjoying my oppo 93 so much I get off track. I saw video on utube regarding a dvd transport device, really high end shit and the tech was talking about how they approched oppo and asked if they could clean up the bdp 83 so the drive could be inc. into thier system. Oppo siad no way, then a while later out comes the 93/95. He says oppo had not only met all the goals but exeeded what they required for the trans. unit. I had a less costly dvd-a deck and the same with sacd. Once I heard this oppo 93 I cannot describe how much of a difference my stuff sounds all of a sudden. One disc in mind is blow by blow that seemed to lack in low end, and the oppo 93 put this disc in it's place! really can't get over it. I learned a valuble lesson here you sure get what you pay for and listen to what people at qq say! RE oppo that is.

well it's been a while since I had a chance to get back. I have been enjoying my oppo 93 so much I get off track. I saw video on utube regarding a dvd transport device, really high end shit and the tech was talking about how they approched oppo and asked if they could clean up the bdp 83 so the drive could be inc. into thier system. Oppo siad no way, then a while later out comes the 93/95. He says oppo had not only met all the goals but exeeded what they required for the trans. unit. I had a less costly dvd-a deck and the same with sacd. Once I heard this oppo 93 I cannot describe how much of a difference my stuff sounds all of a sudden. One disc in mind is blow by blow that seemed to lack in low end, and the oppo 93 put this disc in it's place! really can't get over it. I learned a valuble lesson here you sure get what you pay for and listen to what people at qq say! RE oppo that is.

Thanks alot. Now you have me lusting for a 93 again! :) (I keep telling myself the 83 is "good enough")

Thanks alot. Now you have me lusting for a 93 again! :) (I keep telling myself the 83 is "good enough")

I am heads over with this unit. every time I use it I mean really! It's like hearing this stuff all over again. The engineers at Oppo listened to what the flaws were in the 83 and did say it was immpossible to clean it up, yet they did it. For those who want more amazon still has the 93 nuforce edition. I wish I had the cabbage for that guy! not to mention the 95!!

Back