What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
David Bowie - Stage DVDA
Sacred Rhythm of Bali - SACD
Mark Knopfler - Shangri-La SACD
Roby Lakatos - La Passion SACD

Playin' With My Friends - Tony Bennett & Special Guests (Single Layer MultiCh SACD).

(Duets with.. Bonnie Raitt, Diana Krall, k.d. lang, Billy Joel, Natalie Cole, Stevie Wonder, Sheryl Crow, B.B.King, Ray Charles, Kay Starr)

image.jpg

I don't see many classical titles listed, but here goes anyway...

William Walton - Belshazzar's Feast, Symphony no.2. Conductor: André Previn. DVDA

These are 24/48, 4.0 mixes from 1972-73 quad recordings. The DVDA's sound of these glorious recordings is pretty good, but this is an early DVDA (2001). I wonder if a higher bit rate might give a little more warm to the strings. The rear channels mainly provide ambience, which definitely helps open up the sound. Glad to have this one in my collection.

Franz Vorraber : Fantasie-stücke DVDA

This piano recital contains J.S. Bach: Two-Part Inventions, R. Schumann: Fantasiestücke, Chopin: 2 Etudes, Liszt: Gnomenreigen. It's an early DVDA (2001). The 24/48 5.0 recording is quite dynamic with full-body piano sound. The piano is close-miked, but the surround mix gives this recording plenty of air...recreating the nice, reverberant atmosphere of the recording venue. If you like Bach played on a modern piano, Vorraber's performance is wonderfully satisfying. Recommended.

I don't see many classical titles listed, but here goes anyway...

William Walton - Belshazzar's Feast, Symphony no.2. Conductor: André Previn. DVDA

These are 24/48, 4.0 mixes from 1972-73 quad recordings. The DVDA's sound of these glorious recordings is pretty good, but this is an early DVDA (2001). I wonder if a higher bit rate might give a little more warm to the strings. The rear channels mainly provide ambience, which definitely helps open up the sound. Glad to have this one in my collection.

(y) I have a few of these EMI DVD-A's with old Classical Quad mixes, including Ravel:Boléro/Daphnis et Chloé/La Valse-Martinon, Holst: Planets/Ballet from "The Perfect Fool"/Egdon Heath-Previn and this Walton one you've just picked up, Lute.. all great performances, mixed bag soundwise imho.. stupidly expensive nowadays unless you get lucky.

Franz Vorraber : Fantasie-stücke DVDA

This piano recital contains J.S. Bach: Two-Part Inventions, R. Schumann: Fantasiestücke, Chopin: 2 Etudes, Liszt: Gnomenreigen. It's an early DVDA (2001). The 24/48 5.0 recording is quite dynamic with full-body piano sound. The piano is close-miked, but the surround mix gives this recording plenty of air...recreating the nice, reverberant atmosphere of the recording venue. If you like Bach played on a modern piano, Vorraber's performance is wonderfully satisfying. Recommended.

Where'd you find this? I've never found a solitary Nishimura DVD-A to this day, ultra rare.

Edit: Oh of course! You're in Japan! D'oh! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back