What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just purchased two new DVD-Audio's from tacet.de. Their 2011 DVD-A "Louis Spohr, String Sextet in C Major and Nonet in F major, with the camerata freden group" is fantastic, and a a nice surprise to find high quality DVD-A's are still in production with people who still care about high quality audio surround recordings. The other was a new release of the Four Seasons, also well done.

Sergey Rachmaninov, Symphony No. 2 and Vocalise, Budapest Festival Orchestra, Ivan Fischer
J.S. Bach, St. Matthew Passion, The Netherlands Bach Society, Jos van Veldhoven

There is limited truly surround music fare for lovers of classical music but these are two that use the surround channels for more than ambiance. Both from Channel Classics.

Went to my favorite record store in Madrid and traded in a few LPs (among them KC's ITCOTKC and Red -EG pressings-they sound like crap and I now have the DVD-As) and CDs, so I got some "credit"..
Found out that , even though I always ask them if they got any DVD-A's, their answer is always .."NO"...but they are always wrong, cause they got a lot of Talking Heads DVD-As and these two that I scored yesterday..

-Steven Wilson's "Insurgentes"
-No Man "Together we're stranger"

for 10 Euros each..not bad

Not sure if this counts, as it is a DVD-V, but latest here is now ELO's 40th anniversary edition of their first album.
It does have DTS 9624 though - albeit pointless on my old Oppo BDP-83SE

Well, I don't have it in my hands yet but it just shipped according to Burning Shed:

Thick as a Brick 2 !

I just can't wait until it crosses the pond and spins for me. :smokin

Bill Evans - Sunday at the Village Vanguard
Oscar Peterson - Exclusively For My Friends Vol.III The Way I Really Play
Ravi Coltrane - Mad 6
Will Boulware & Rainbow - Harmony
Barclay James Harvest - Once Again

Last edited:
I've been grooving to the original DVD-A of Moody Blues: Days of Future Passed.
Pre-ordered Ian Anderson's Thick As A Brick II.

Cmooooon, King Crimson!!!

Well, I don't have it in my hands yet but it just shipped according to Burning Shed:

Thick as a Brick 2 !

I just can't wait until it crosses the pond and spins for me. :smokin

Mine arrived this morning from Amazon.de. The DVD is a DVD-V with DD and DTS. I gave it a quick spin using DTS and I was quit happy about what I heard. My idea was to test just one song but since it was so fun I ended with three. Good for me as a non-native English speaker are the on-screen lyrics. Songs are critical and to the point. Music reminds me to the good old JT days. Tonight I'll listen to the rest - hope I have not just picked the three best songs.

Markus

Mine arrived this morning from Amazon.de. The DVD is a DVD-V with DD and DTS. I gave it a quick spin using DTS and I was quit happy about what I heard. My idea was to test just one song but since it was so fun I ended with three. Good for me as a non-native English speaker are the on-screen lyrics. Songs are critical and to the point. Music reminds me to the good old JT days. Tonight I'll listen to the rest - hope I have not just picked the three best songs.

Markus

This is great news!
Now I really am looking forward to this. :smokin

Sorry, just saw this question.

It's a decent disc but nothing mind-blowing. Nice rendition of the themes and some are very close to Barry's arrangements. Others are a little different with some rock guitar in them. The mix is very balanced and not too adventurous, but it does fill up the room nicely.

How is this one? Do you recommend it?

Royal Philharmonic: James Bond Themes

I'm not quite sure what you mean. The dts CD?

The DTS version. I read all over the place that the DTS version was better...I was just about to get the cheaper SACD, but most were overwhelmingly for the DTS. I sprung for it, and was not disappointed. I wish I could've compared the two. Bmoura is the first person I have read that prefers the SACD.

Finally picked up a new copy of the Shirley Horn SACD "Here's To Life". Truly amazing sound on this album! Get it for yourself if you haven't yet.

Filling out my Jazz collection :

Spyro Gyra "Good to go go" SACD

This bunch gets the most out of the SACD format for sure. :smokin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back