What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the 5.1's on all the EJ's (bar the bright GYBR) do indeed sound superb! the stereo SACD layers on all of them are horrible and most certainly victims of the "loudness war".

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was shocked to read the earlier comment on Madman because it was my first Elton SACD and the mix and production blew my mind and so I bought all the rest. I've only listened to the surround mixes though. They're glorious!

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was shocked to read the earlier comment on Madman because it was my first Elton SACD and the mix and production blew my mind and so I bought all the rest. I've only listened to the surround mixes though. They're glorious!

you're welcome :) its a shame the stereo SACD layers of the Elton's are so compressed but the surround mixes are so incredible it more than makes up for it.

for great sounding stereo 70's EJ, there's a stunning MFSL CD of GYBR, an excellent Audio Fidelity CD of Rock of the Westies and the UK DJM CDs (Mastered by Nimbus) of everything else bar Don't Shoot Me are excellent.

for DSMIOTPP, I'd go for the US MCA (MCAD-31077). a couple of the DJM's have reversed channels (Tumbleweed & Caribou) and for the self-titled breakthrough album there's some mix & mastering variations across the different DJMs with the German Metronome and UK Nimbus having completely different mixes of Sixty Years On & The Greatest Discovery.

re: if you have any EJ SACD/CD Questions etc Scott, or any QQ members for that matter please do PM (I'm mindful I'm blathering away going OT now!)

$8... That's just nuts. Did it come in skinny hinge case or the new fatter hinge design (this one is rare)?
You should list this in that good deal thread. Forget what it's called. One of these days you'll end up with the EMI Scorpions classical SACD for $15 or so. Or Aerosmith Rocks for $10.

The old adage of if something is too good to be true that's usually because it is came true today. So I got my "DVD, Audio" today. It wasn't a DVD-Audio disc. It was a two disc (one DVD-Video, the other a CD) of In the Zone...the ABC Special. The guy who put it up on Ebay just got lazy and copied the DVD-Audio description from either Amazon or another Ebay auction and put that in the item description. Instead this is just some crappy ABC special and other live acts Britney did around this album. I checked his description again to make sure I wasn't the one who screwed up. Nope, it was him. So I sent him a message asking for a refund.

Here's the item description just so everyone knows I wasn't crazy on this. I just noticed at the very bottom it says DVD and CD are in great condition. Just an inch higher, the format says DVD Audio.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370994903965?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

The old adage of if something is too good to be true that's usually because it is came true today. So I got my "DVD, Audio" today. It wasn't a DVD-Audio disc. It was a two disc (one DVD-Video, the other a CD) of In the Zone...the ABC Special. The guy who put it up on Ebay just got lazy and copied the DVD-Audio description from either Amazon or another Ebay auction and put that in the item description. Instead this is just some crappy ABC special and other live acts Britney did around this album. I checked his description again to make sure I wasn't the one who screwed up. Nope, it was him. So I sent him a message asking for a refund.

Here's the item description just so everyone knows I wasn't crazy on this. I just noticed at the very bottom it says DVD and CD are in great condition. Just an inch higher, the format says DVD Audio.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370994903965?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Bugger!

IIRC - The DVD-Audio is a single disc....i.e. not CD/ DVD-A combo....

v.sorry to hear that mdmost :( sums it up perfectly as you say if its too good to be to true it usually is. let's just hope the seller co-operates fully & refunds accordingly :)

Oh, I think I had contacted this ass about his listing and he told me it wasn't dvd-audio. What a loser. You'd think he would have corrected it.

Hootie & The Blowfish - Cracked Rear View (DVD-A)
Groover Washington, Jr. - Winelight (DVD-A)
Helmet Of Gnats - Helmet Of Gnats II (SACD)
Jane Monheit - In The Sun (DVD-A)
George Benson & Al Jarreau - Givin' It Up (DTS-DVD)
No Angels - When Angels Swing (SACD)
Alanis Morissette - Under Rug Swept (DVD-A)
Michael Hill - Black Gold & Goddesses Bold! (SACD)
Mile Davis - Sketches Of Spain (DTS-DVD)
Lee Ann Womack - Greatest Hits (DVD-A, DualDisc)
Lowell Fulson - Think Twice Before You Speak (SACD)

Markus

Bloody hell - I never knew that was available in that format! How difficult is it to get hold of, Adam?

I've seen it a few times over the years and had it on my sa-cd.net wishlist around 4-5 years but never been able to find it for anywhere near what I'd want to pay.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 159
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 157
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 159
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 160
Bloody hell - I never knew that was available in that format! How difficult is it to get hold of, Adam?

Here's an expensive one:

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/796

Here's a cheaper one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281246977377?

and another..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390744912678?

so it would be wrong to say its hard to find I guess, you could say it's like the Kraftwerk SACD in as much as it's not uncommon but regularly fetches high prices due to demand?

Tierny Sutton Band - "Dancing In The Dark" 5.1 SACD - lovely cabaret/chanteusey arrangements (w/strings) of songs typically associated with Sinatra. Thanks to Brian Moura for the recommendation! Nice mix - nothing agressive but fitting to the arrangements. Taking my wife to see her perform at Dizzy's Club Coca Cola in NYC for Valentine's Day. Great venue - very much looking forward.

Hullabaloo Soundtrack - Muse (2-Disc Set; 1 x CD, 1 x Hybrid Multichannel SACD).

How do you rate it? I would love that title. Does it sound significantly better than the DTS DVD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back