What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
51LKDWHhmkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

yesterday arrived (hey Kevin, thanx once more for assistance) box-set Beethoven all 9 symphonies
by Kurt Mazur and Gewandbausorchester (sorry :) )Leipzig. 5 SACD with stereo/multi-ch streams
(b.t.w. it's original 4 tracks master tape conversion, so it has 4.0 quad surround)
i know classical stuff generaly not much have respect here but i cannot pass without compliment to
this release. the performance is astonishing and sound is great. the release was done by Polyhymnia with
use of Philips recordings back in 1972, 1973 and 1974. well i just wasn't able to pass this, particularly
when price tag was under 50 bucks. so i ordered two sets, one for myself and the another for mine
converted into 6-eared freaks relatives. if someone interested in classical music, i highly recomend
to get this print.

Otto, I have a few questions. First, have you owned any other performances of these works, either individually or in a box? Of so, how do these compare in performance, mix and fidelity? Second, is it a Quad mix with music in the rears, or simply hall effect? Third, is there any audible tape hiss?

I've owned a few of these individually and have owned the 70's Von Karajan box on both LP and CD. Did not like how it sounded on CD. I also own the 80's CD box by Von Karajan, though the performances seem a bit dry. I bought the 9 DVD-A's by Barenboim when they came out. I like them.

Linda

View attachment 4257

yesterday arrived (hey Kevin, thanx once more for assistance) box-set Beethoven all 9 symphonies
by Kurt Mazur and Gewandbausorchester (sorry :) )Leipzig. 5 SACD with stereo/multi-ch streams
(b.t.w. it's original 4 tracks master tape conversion, so it has 4.0 quad surround)
i know classical stuff generaly not much have respect here but i cannot pass without compliment to
this release. the performance is astonishing and sound is great. the release was done by Polyhymnia with
use of Philips recordings back in 1972, 1973 and 1974. well i just wasn't able to pass this, particularly
when price tag was under 50 bucks. so i ordered two sets, one for myself and the another for mine
converted into 6-eared freaks relatives. if someone interested in classical music, i highly recomend
to get this print.

Otto, I have a few questions. First, have you owned any other performances of these works, either individually or in a box? Of so, how do these compare in performance, mix and fidelity? Second, is it a Quad mix with music in the rears, or simply hall effect? Third, is there any audible tape hiss?

I've owned a few of these individually and have owned the 70's Von Karajan box on both LP and CD. Did not like how it sounded on CD. I also own the 80's CD box by Von Karajan, though the performances seem a bit dry. I bought the 9 DVD-A's by Barenboim when they came out. I like them.

Linda

Here's a link to the Box: http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/2619

hey Linda, there are very informative reviews on Jim's link. i can't do better.
Karajan is good but sometimes he did performs like, hm...? mathematician.
Masur's performance is more emotional.
Jim, i see amazon.ca sells it now for 44 bucks. morons, when i checked before placing
my order on amazon. com it was over 60 bucks

Ann Mortifee - Into The Heart Of The Sangoma (SACD)
Foo Fighters - One By One (DualDisc w/ DVD-A side)
Peder af Uglas - Beyond (SACD)
Willy Porter - Willy Porter (SACD)

Deep Purple - Machine Head SACD
Jeff Wayne - War of the Worlds

Don't know how many times I will listen to the entire WOTW 2 discs, but it's worth it just to have "Forever Autumn" in surround.

Maiden Voyage-Herbie Hancock 2ch
Sympathy for the Devil Remix-Rolling Stones 5.1 $2/sealed
Timeagain-David Sanborn 5.1 $3/sealed
Themes from Academy Award Winners-Gerhardt/Fiedler/Mancini/Raskin Dolby Surround $2

King Crimson - In The Wake Of Poseidon (DVD-A)
King Crimson - Islands (DVD-A)
King Crimson - Red (DVD-A)
King Crimson - Lizard (DVD-A)
King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King (DVD-A)
Various Artists - The Super Audio Collection Volume 5 (MC SACD DSD / CD Layer HDCD)

Isao Tomita - Planets (Ultimate Edition, Hybrid SACD 4.0ch)
Isao Tomita - The Tale of Genji (Ultimate Edition, 2 * Hybrid SACD 5.0ch)
The Fixx - 1011 Woodland (DVD-Audio 5.1 DD)

Is It Rolling Bob? A Reggae Tribute to Bob Dylan [Dual Disc]
Tipper: Surrounded [Dual Disc]
Smetana: Má Vlast [Hybrid SACD - DSD] by Mobile Fidelity and contains original 1970s Quadraphonic 4.0 mixes.

Bought all 3 cheap on Amazon:
Is It Rolling Bob? $5.86 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006UEW1C
Tipper $6.86 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00068CMJS
Smetana: Má Vlast $23.97 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006UEVTU

The last 2 titles we're available with free shipping in the U.S. when bought together.

Inside The Music: Classic Rock DVD-Audio. (New & sealed) It is in a cd size case instead of DVD-audio. I take it some titles were packaged in both DVD-Audio or cd size cases?

Inside The Music: Classic Rock DVD-Audio. (New & sealed) It is in a cd size case instead of DVD-audio. I take it some titles were packaged in both DVD-Audio or cd size cases?

I got most of the 'Inside the Music' when initially released, all were in CD size cases.

vinylguy4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back