What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get the ones with the paper sleeves. They are the SACD's.

Tell me about it! I was dreading the CD turning up, especially as it was the lowest price I'd seen it in years of searching.

With other ambiguous discs that have shared UPCs, like the Sam Cooke at the Copa SACD, I made totally sure it was the surround version by buying from a 5.1 only seller!

Clarification: I was referring to the Sam Cooke titles on Abkco. Any Abkco title that was released on SACD will be exactly that in a paper sleeve, and a standard CD in a jewel box. Other Sam Cooke titles will be CD's, if they're in a paper sleeve. Sam Cooke SACD's on Analogue Productions will be in jewel boxes.

Nektar is on Dream Nebula, so as Fred mentioned, the opposite is true.

the Sam Cookes a cardboard affair but the Nektars in a regular cd case :eek:

Clarification: I was referring to the Sam Cooke titles on Abkco. Any Abkco title that was released on SACD will be exactly that in a paper sleeve, and a standard CD in a jewel box. Other Sam Cooke titles will be CD's, if they're in a paper sleeve. Sam Cooke SACD's on Analogue Productions will be in jewel boxes.

Nektar is on Dream Nebula, so as Fred mentioned, the opposite is true.

couldn't have put it better myself!

well I literally couldn't, so I didn't.. but now you have!
marvellous! :banana:

was there only ever just that one Multi-channel Sam Cooke SACD?

No, Night Beat on AP is 3ch.

There are several 2ch SACD's:

Portrait of a Legend (Best of) Abkco
Ain't That Good News
Keep Movin' On
Tribute to the Lady (Billie Holiday) is an EU only pressing, not available in the US. No doubt Abkco legal funny business.
Best of Sam Cooke AP (alt take of Another Saturday Night)

No, Night Beat on AP is 3ch.

There are several 2ch SACD's:

Portrait of a Legend (Best of) Abkco
Ain't That Good News
Keep Movin' On
Tribute to the Lady (Billie Holiday) is an EU only pressing, not available in the US. No doubt Abkco legal funny business.
Best of Sam Cooke AP (alt take of Another Saturday Night)

a shame but still, that's quite a healthy number of SACD's.
Perhaps those original albums are only recorded on 4 track or something and don't readily lend themselves to a multichannel mix.

ah well, better to have had one than none at all and at least that Copa one is so lovely!

Tangerine Dream - Rubycon (SACD)

Have been keeping an eye on Amazon marketplace for this as there was no way I was spending £80 for a copy.

Was very pleased therefore to spot that someone had put one up for £18! Grabbed it and now the price back up where it was before.

Good job I didn't pay £80 since I didint realise it was stereo only... :-(

Tangerine Dream - Rubycon (SACD)

Have been keeping an eye on Amazon marketplace for this as there was no way I was spending £80 for a copy.

Was very pleased therefore to spot that someone had put one up for £18! Grabbed it and now the price back up where it was before.

Good job I didn't pay £80 since I didint realise it was stereo only... :-(

it may "only" be stereo but that's a great bargain! nice one!

proves my point to the guys on here who've given up ever getting things like the Ship Ahoy SACD now for sensible money.. never give up hope! these are tough times and folks are reluctantly having to dispose of all sorts of stuff, sadly.

you know you could probably flog this one on again and make a good few quid right away if you're not happy with it tho..!?

Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band - Swinging' For The Fences (DD-DVD)
A second factory sealed copy of Dishwalla Opaline (because it was to cheap to skip it; DVD-A)

My latest DVD quad purchase, a couple of months ago, was the Pink Floyd "Dark Side Of The Moon" Immersion boxed set. It contained a DVD audio-only disc with the 5.1 Surround mixes(which is like listening to fake, reprocessed stereo, for comparison) and 2 resolutions of the original quad mix that was only available on Q8 tapes in the U.S. and SQ'd LP's in the rest of the world. It's refreshing to hear the discrete quad DSOTM without the accompanying tape hiss or matrixed LP quad. I hadn't planned on buying it, because it was priced high, but, shopping Amazon one day, I happenned on the Immersion set, brand new, for $62.99. I couldn't pass that one up. Now it's ove $100.! I am very pleased!

My latest DVD quad purchase, a couple of months ago, was the Pink Floyd "Dark Side Of The Moon" Immersion boxed set. It contained a DVD audio-only disc with the 5.1 Surround mixes(which is like listening to fake, reprocessed stereo, for comparison) and 2 resolutions of the original quad mix that was only available on Q8 tapes in the U.S. and SQ'd LP's in the rest of the world. It's refreshing to hear the discrete quad DSOTM without the accompanying tape hiss or matrixed LP quad. I hadn't planned on buying it, because it was priced high, but, shopping Amazon one day, I happenned on the Immersion set, brand new, for $62.99. I couldn't pass that one up. Now it's ove $100.! I am very pleased!

that's an excellent deal! nice one!

how are you finding playing with the marbles? minutes of fun, ah..

the scarf's rather fetching too isn't it! i hear badly printed black nylon's just the thing this season.

hehe.. all those big boxed sets last year had something of the bizarre about them didn't they!?

happily they had some decent surround music inside to redeem themselves..!

can't say the same of the colossal Graceland box that's out in a couple of weeks :yikes

The Tiptons - Surrounded By Horns - SACD 5.1 - Saxes placed in each channel with percussion in the front.

the scarf's rather fetching too isn't it! i hear badly printed black nylon's just the thing this season.

hehe.. all those big boxed sets last year had something of the bizarre about them didn't they!?

can't say the same of the colossal Graceland box that's out in a couple of weeks :yikes

Nice price on the PF. That is damm close to what many paid for the BD alone. Still all the BS is not worth 3 marbles and a nylon scarf you'll never use, and find it too stupid to do anything with it but hide it so no one will think you an idiot for blowing over $100.00 on BS. ( me) And the same music over and over and over and over and over-------.

I'd forgotten about the extras inside the DSOTM box. I've got lot's of other things to play with, so no, I haven't played with the marbles, only looked at them. I left the scarf sealed in the plastic bag it came in. Besides the extra goodies for posterity, I basically bought the boxed set for the quad mixes and the price was so good I couldn't pass it up.

As far as the Graceland box goes, I never liked the original LP anyway, only a couple of the songs that made the Top 40, which is also the way I feel about any other Paul Simon album, except those that were quadraphonic. Now, S&G is another story.

Nice price on the PF. That is damm close to what many paid for the BD alone. Still all the BS is not worth 3 marbles and a nylon scarf you'll never use, and find it too stupid to do anything with it but hide it so no one will think you an idiot for blowing over $100.00 on BS. ( me) And the same music over and over and over and over and over-------.

I'm right there with ya buddy. Yo! I originally passed because of the $100.+ price, but I couldn't pass up the $60.+ price. As a recorded media collector, I hadda have it! Oy!

I'm right there with ya buddy. Yo! I originally passed because of the $100.+ price, but I couldn't pass up the $60.+ price. As a recorded media collector, I hadda have it! Oy!

I think I paid $40.00 for the BD. For $60.00 on the set would have been worth keeping the stuff. I know just how you feel though, I had to have the BD of both DS and WYWH. WYWH was only $34.00. now it's the Tull BD I'm on a quest for. OY!
I think either set is worth $60.00 anyway.

Seeing as some QQ-ers will pay around $40 for the BD disc alone from these deluxe boxes,
I'm curious to know the maximum you guys would be willing to stretch for a stand-alone BD-audio format disc?

Or what you think a realistic ball-park should be, if this were to come about?

The two BD albums by Tom Petty were pretty reasonably priced and readily available in record stores here in the UK.
Although HMV kept their stock in with the Live Concert and Music video DVDs and Blu rays, rather than with the CD versions which was a bit silly IMHO..

*(For the record, the Mojo BD was £18/$28, Torpedoes even cheaper..
The BD of Rushs' Moving Pictures was more plentiful in stores, sold alongside the Rush CDS, whereas the DVDA version was only available online here in the UK, in my experience).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back