What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the SH forum the AF gold CD of 52nd Street sounds better than either SACD [insert laugh track here].

That's weird, last time I was reading over there, people were saying the AF 52nd Street sounded weird and wrong.

:D

Will definitely do a shoot out of the SACD stereo layers of 52nd and Stranger when I get a moment!

I've owned an LP, 1/2 speed LP, Japan CD, remastered CD, deluxe box, 2CD and SACD 5.1 of Stranger. My hunch is that the Columbia SACD sounds best and the MoFi SACD is the same, or very close in 2ch. I've owned all the same pressings on 52nd st, except there wasn't a 2CD or deluxe box. I'd also expect the Mofi & Columbia SACD's to sound identical in 2ch.

I've owned an LP, Japan LP, Japan CD and remastered CD of Nylon Curtain & Glass Houses. I would expect the SACD's, which I have yet to pick up, to be the best.

Does the Gold disc of 52nd st sound better than the SACD's? It's possible, but I highly doubt it. It is probably EQ'd differently.

I ordered the Dylan SACD (Freewheelin') today along with Black Sabbath Vol. 4 from Acoustic Sounds (free UPS ground shipping). I've never opened my Sony Freewheelin' SACD. It's one of the stereo ones.

I was going to wait until the Labor Day sale but the Sabbath title has sold out from other USA websites so wanted to get my order in.

I've already got the MFSL Glass Houses, but not Nylon Curtain. I think I'll wait for Innocent Man to become available and get both then. I have the Sony Innocent Man but I think MFSL will improve on it.

I'm sticking with the Sony SACD for Stranger and 52nd Street.

That's weird, last time I was reading over there, people were saying the AF 52nd Street sounded weird and wrong.

:D

Will definitely do a shoot out of the SACD stereo layers of 52nd and Stranger when I get a moment!

I have both of the AF Billy Joel gold discs and I don't think either one sounds particularly good.

Lalo Schifrin Letters from Argentine Dual Disc but Proper 96/24 DVDA no start menus either straight in sounds great, thanks to the guys on this forum making me spend money :)

Just received the Skynyrd "Southern Surroundings" set... can't wait to spin it! :banana:

Bob Dylan - Love and Theft - SACD - Dirt Cheap in my local store - I didn't know that this was 5.1 until Jon put up the poll for this.

Bob Dylan - Love and Theft - SACD - Dirt Cheap in my local store - I didn't know that this was 5.1 until Jon put up the poll for this.

not the best of the Dylan 5.1's (my vote for that goes to "Slow Train Coming" which is absolutely wonderful and sounds gorgeous) but the sound qualitys nice on this one & the albums v.good, even if the mix could have been a bit more "grr!" like BD's latter-day vocals!

Indeed. Listening to Doobie Bros now. Amazing sound and great mix.

A_L

I prefer the DVDA 5.1 to the Quad, everything's wider and fuller, more lush. the bass is a tiny bit tame compared to the Quad though the DVDA's probably more accurate and closer to the original master sound, I imagine.. but the overall sound is just incredible. you can crank it up (and up!) and it just sounds better and better! definitely in my all-time top 10 Hi-Rez surround discs.

not the best of the Dylan 5.1's (my vote for that goes to "Slow Train Coming" which is absolutely wonderful and sounds gorgeous) but the sound qualitys nice on this one & the albums v.good, even if the mix could have been a bit more "grr!" like BD's latter-day vocals!

Thanks - You need to vote in the poll for this- no-one has voted yet :eek:!!!!

Ironically Slow Train is the last Dylan 5.1 disc I need to get....!!!

Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth - Dualdisc - DVD-A - For playback when the kids aren't around...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back