What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up Dishwalla's Opaline from a used records shop yesterday. Not bad so far. It's a Bob Ludwig mix.

Picked up Dishwalla's Opaline from a used records shop yesterday. Not bad so far. It's a Bob Ludwig mix.
Dishwalla - Opaline:

Original album mastered by Bob Ludwig.
Recordered and mixed by Brian Scheuble

Six Channel mix by Gary Lux with Mr. Haynes
DVD Audio Mastering by Charlie Watts

Got THREE ..count 'em three (Mr. Owl...)
SACD
Bowie-Ziggy Stardust

DVD-As
Jackson Browne (wife beater..he's out of my book for that, but hey, it was for SteelyDave's Mom)-Runnin' on Empty
Eric Clapton-Back Home

Except for the EC they were from SteelyDave!!!

OOOOEEEEEEE YYYEEEEHAAAWW!!

Ground Control to kap'n krunch! :p that Ziggy 5.1's not as bad as its reputation suggests but it lacks the lovely warmth of the old LP.. a shame really, I don't know what happened but its got a kind of digital sheen (bordering on coldness..) to it that robs it of that kind of 'atmosphere' (I can't quite put my finger on what it is exactly) that "feel" it always had. Some nice mix choices in there but more hits than misses imho.

I didn't know JB was a wife beater.. :yikes :( I don't know much about him to be honest! I love the Runnin' On Empty record but he's a miserable son of a whatsit on some of his other stuff I've heard, which is a major turn off.. as I careen into middle-age I tend to go for something more uplifting these days rather than slash your wrists 'downer' music :eek:

Love "Back Home"! its loud/compressed.. which is unfortunate.. but the EQ is more on the bass-y side than bright so it's not a fatiguingly loud listen.. not the most adventurous or even very active surround mix but about half the record is toe-tappin' middle of the road loveliness!

.."I'm goin' left.. if you lead me to the right.. lead me to what is riiiiiigght!"

I was just listening to that the other day. Very nice fidelity, music and mix.

Just listening for the first time now -- in a word delightful.

Thanks LizardKing! You're a trooper! (and Happy Holiday Hugs to you & your family) (y)

Edit: oops! Just saw the disc title didn't get included in wavelength's quote! :eek: silly me..

This is the Peter Primamore "Grancia" SACD I'm talking about. If you don't have this already guys, please consider it if the music's your cup of tea, the mix and sound quality are sumptuous yet delicate. Beautiful sounding disc!

Ground Control to kap'n krunch! :p that Ziggy 5.1's not as bad as its reputation suggests but it lacks the lovely warmth of the old LP.. a shame really, I don't know what happened but its got a kind of digital sheen (bordering on coldness..) to it that robs it of that kind of 'atmosphere' (I can't quite put my finger on what it is exactly) that "feel" it always had. Some nice mix choices in there but more hits than misses imho.

I didn't know JB was a wife beater.. :yikes :( I don't know much about him to be honest! I love the Runnin' On Empty record but he's a miserable son of a whatsit on some of his other stuff I've heard, which is a major turn off.. as I careen into middle-age I tend to go for something more uplifting these days rather than slash your wrists 'downer' music :eek:

Love "Back Home"! its loud/compressed.. which is unfortunate.. but the EQ is more on the bass-y side than bright so it's not a fatiguingly loud listen.. not the most adventurous or even very active surround mix but about half the record is toe-tappin' middle of the road loveliness!

.."I'm goin' left.. if you lead me to the right.. lead me to what is riiiiiigght!"

Yo, Fred!!!
I REALLY enjoyed the Ziggy SACD...the engineer does have a very different definition of what a Surround Mix should be , but nevertheless, it is very enjoyable

Re: J Browne...I LOOOVE David Lindley (got his first 3 "El Rayo X" discs, and they have a SPECIAL place in my psyche cause , in our honeymoon , in Tahaa'a, they played "She took off my Romeos" constantly!!!, and the bartender was the best I've ever had the pleasure to serve me!!!!), didn't know he played the fiddle... Don't understand why the mix is "uneven, ROE is a ambience only rears but other songs are VERY discrete...

And the EC is not VERY compressed (AAMOF I didn't find it compressed at all) an YES , it has a nice round bass to it....very nice! And yes, it is a VERY discrete mix, what a pity it's only DULLBEE!!

Oh kap! There are two versions of Back Home in 5.1.. One is DualDisc 5.1 DVD-A in Advanced Res. (U.S.A. Edition) and the other is (European) and only DVD-V Dolby Digital 5.1

oh and by compressed I don't mean DR compression, I mean its been maximised and so is a bit "loud"., at least on the version I have.. but not hugely so, I love it too! Fab album, fab sonics, fab mix! FAAAABBBB..!!! :banana:

Oh kap! There are two versions of Back Home in 5.1.. One is DualDisc 5.1 DVD-A in Advanced Res. (U.S.A. Edition) and the other is (European) and only DVD-V Dolby Digital 5.1

Dang Fred...you should have told me that before ordering the EUROPEAN version....WHY THE HELL DID THEY DO THAT FOR???? WHY 2 DIFFERENT RELEASES? Us People in Europe do not deserve High Definition...

The best part is that on the back cover it states ADVANCED RESOLUTION SURROUND...mais NON!!!!

Promptly ordered the US version...

Thanks for the heads up...
We gotta meet and drink and listen to some LOUD surround...
:friday::friday:
:smokin

Dang Fred...you should have told me that before ordering the EUROPEAN version....WHY THE HELL DID THEY DO THAT FOR???? WHY 2 DIFFERENT RELEASES? Us People in Europe do not deserve High Definition...

The best part is that on the back cover it states ADVANCED RESOLUTION SURROUND...mais NON!!!!

Promptly ordered the US version...

Thanks for the heads up...
We gotta meet and drink and listen to some LOUD surround...
:friday::friday:
:smokin

my bad! :eek: I guess its info like this that would be handy to put in some sticky here? Or just as an N.B. on the QQ Poll for Back Home?

Anytime :) We should! :friday: I wish we were neighbours! I feel that way about a lot of you guys here! We need a global QQ convention to bring all us Quaddies together! We'd need a big sweet spot! :D

Just guys?!? :howl Perhaps I could wear a fake mustache, which are popular with the kids.
woman_mustache2.jpg
I could change my name to Hairy!

...I wish we were neighbours! I feel that way about a lot of you guys here! We need a global QQ convention to bring all us Quaddies together! We'd need a big sweet spot! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back