What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What specs are you looking for? The cover/insert gives no information about bit depth or sampling rates. My receiver tells me it is 5.1 surround. My ears tell me the SQ is decent but could have been done better. I think the bass was mastered a bit heavy handedly.
How do you know it's dvd-audio then, or does your receiver decode PPCM?

How do you know it's dvd-audio then, or does your receiver decode PPCM?
I am new to surround and all its subtle details, so go easy on me OK?
Here are some clues that I see:
- In my PC when I look at the files I see an AUDIO_TS directory.
- My Oppo BDP-93 player says the sound is "5.1 surround 48kHz MLP".
- The top menu on the DVD lists an "About DVD-Audio" marketing track.

New today: P!nk - I'm Not Dead

It is a DualDisc and unfortunately the surround audio section is DD.
That said, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the sound/mastering.
Good separation, vocals nicely in the center, surrounds used in a non-gimicky way.
For the most part the dynamic range is not bad at all either, according to my ears.

I am not a big P!nk fan but my wife is and she thinks this album is awesome. That means a lot because my expensive gadgets have now achieved an elevated status in this house. :D

Should have these 3 tomorrow. They've left customs already.

update: Got 'em.

update 2: The first song on Songs In The Key Of Life ends abruptly at 5:19 then continues to track 2. I can scan back over the portion between 5:19 and 7:06 but the time counter never changes then the scanning stops at 5:19. If I press pause and then play it then jumps to track 2. So anyway the music is all there you just can't play it because the time counter quits working. Maybe some players don't care about this, and some do.

Attachments

• hmv_shipment_Feb25_2011.jpg
    hmv_shipment_Feb25_2011.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
Well, Ive ordered a DVD-A of Sailing to Philadelphia so that should be on its way soon from Amazon.

Allman Brothers - Eat a Peach (SACD)
The Police - Every Breath You Take: Classics (SACD)

After a mention above I went searching for, and found, the Moloko Statues sacd. There is a seller in the UK with lots of copies selling them for about $40 USD on eBay (I asked and they can't refund the VAT as they don't have a tax number). Got it yesterday, haven't had a chance to listen yet. Would have been a lot cheaper if I'd just bought it when Cai recommended it years ago and amazon.co.uk still carried it...

Katatonia the great cold distance DVD-A. Comes in sacd style case. Got some listening to do this weekend.

Very interested to see your thoughts on the quality of the audio resolution. How high-res is it?

I'll chip in here because I've had the disc for a couple of years.

IMHO is sounds very,very good. And I like the music, so this one probably ranks as one of my top 5 most played SACDs.

Can't comment on the MC, have only played it in stereo thus far.

Wow, there were 25 copies left about a week ago! Is everyone here at QQ buying one? Anyways, the little bit I've listened to this it sounded fine - not the best sounding sacd I have, but certainly not the worst either.

King Crimson - In the Wake of Poseidon (CD+DVD-A)
Barenaked Ladies - Everything to everyone (CD+DVD-A)
Sting - Sacred Love (SACD)
No Man - Schoolyard Ghosts (CD+DVD-A)
R.E.M. - Monster (CD+DVD-A)

Miles Davis - In a Silent Way [Japanese] (SACD)
Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks (SACD)

Depeche Mode Speak & Spell SACD/DVD 2 disc set (new) Now I have all 12 Depeche Mode sacd/dvd 2 disc sets.

Alas I bought 2 discs on ebay.de and am having a hell of a time getting the proper information to do a wire transfer. They are listed as private sellers and apparently dont have paypal. 1 is a sealed copy of Phillips Ttal imersion Music sampler and the other is Paul van Dyk Reflections. I need help completing those transactions.

Buena Vista Social Club (DVD-A)
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde (SACD)
Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (SACD)
Bob Dylan - Slow Train Coming (SACD)

King Crimson - In the Wake of Poseidon (CD+DVD-A)
Barenaked Ladies - Everything to everyone (CD+DVD-A)
Sting - Sacred Love (SACD)
No Man - Schoolyard Ghosts (CD+DVD-A)
R.E.M. - Monster (CD+DVD-A)

This month is Steven Wilson's month for me...

Also picked up

Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize (DVD+Blu-ray)
King Crimson - Islands (CD+DVD-A) - With that now I am ready for the next batch...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back