What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
England's Newest Hitmakers - The Rolling Stones (Hybrid SACD),
Out Of Our Heads - The Rolling Stones (Hybrid SACD),
December's Children - The Rolling Stones (Hybrid SACD),
Between The Buttons - The Rolling Stones (Hybrid SACD),
Flowers - The Rolling Stones (Hybrid SACD),
Their Satanic Majesties Request - The Rolling Stones (Hybrid SACD),
Beggars Banquet - The Rolling Stones (Hybrid SACD),
Let It Bleed - The Rolling Stones (Hybrid SACD),
Now! - The Rolling Stones (Hybrid SACD).

Yeah, pretty soon Fred is going to run out of DVD-A and SACD discs to buy and will have to resort to the SHM SACD's. :yikes ;)

haha! no way! I've got 400 Non-SHM-SACD's on my sa-cd.net wishlist still to find before I get onto the SHM's! (and some of those I doubt I'm ever gonna pick up now, things like Lovebox & Scorpions just seem impossible now).

admittedly, there aren't many DTS CDs/OOP DVD-A's/DualDiscs I've still yet to pick up but absolutely tons of SACDs before the 5.1 lady sings!

The Doors (of:sun) Perception box set: Its been a Doors weekend and though it might be going against the grain, Waiting For The Sun was a stand out. Didn't make it to the debut album. Bought this set used and while the CD's were well worn, the DVD-A's are in good shape and are bit more difficult to remove from the cases.

Blackfield - IV - DVD-A - Nice to finally have some Blackfield in Surround! -
Katatonia - Dethroned and Uncrowned - DVD-A

Album II - Kem (DualDisc),
O - Omarion (DualDisc),
Out There - Eric Dolphy (Hybrid SACD).

Pleasant surprise, the Kem DualDisc is a DVD-Audio (48/24 MLP in 5.1).

On one quick listen, its got a seemingly subtle but genuinely discrete surround mix with cool things like little electric guitar "wocka-wocka-wocka-wow" & "Bom-chicka-wow" moments discrete in the rears.. tho I'm pretty sure it's 4.1!

I can't detect anything going on in the centre. someone more techy than me could put it thru a PC and check but I'm pretty sure its 4-channel.

what a kooky old disc! worth hunting out though. very easy on the ears smooth soul, with nice fidelity for a more "modern" production, certainly not brickwalled or anything. quadtastic! :banana:

Five for fighting, American Town... Gave it a listen, sounds good on first listen... need a few more to better appreciate the music..

Got 4 Dvd Audios from a seller on Steve Hoffman forum(have picked up 20 Dvd Audios from sellers there in past year):

Poco-Crazy Eyes(DTS)
Hootie & Blowfish-Cracked Rear View(Dvd Audio)
Neil Young-Off the Beach(Stereo Dvd Audio)
Yes-(Jvc Sample Dvd Audio)-has 5 tracks from Magnification and 4 live tracks from House of Blues Live and one studio track(Homeworld) from The Ladder

With the anticipation of Yes CTTE coming up when I saw this collection available and even though I have Magnification on Dvd Audio was looking forward to hearing the other 5 tracks on this Jvc sample disk so to me this is the treasure from my latest buy.

Balalaika Favorites - Osipov State Russian Folk Orchestra (Mercury Living Presence 3-Ch Hybrid SACD),
Symphonies 1 & 7: Beethoven - RPO/Wordsworth (Hybrid MultiCh SACD),
Moments Musicaux: Rachmaninov - Ashkenazy (Hybrid MultiCh SACD),
Knowing You - John Pizzarelli (Hybrid MultiCh SACD),
Also Sprach Zarathustra: Strauss - RPO/Mackerras (Hybrid MultiCh SACD),
The Planets: Holst - Atlanta Symphony Orchestra/Levi (Dolby Surround? or DTS CD?)*

* Now this is a bit of a curiosity... I wonder if other QQ-ers can chime in on this one pls? I know there's a DTS of Previn's The Planets (I have a rip) but this isn't it, it looks to all intents and purposes to be just a normal CD, except on the back it says "Surround Sound". It's TELARC CD-80466 btw. Is it Dolby encoded? Help please! (I'll open it tonight and play with it anyway.. but it would be nice to know how to play it and what I'm playing with! :eek:)

Balalaika Favorites - Osipov State Russian Folk Orchestra (Mercury Living Presence 3-Ch Hybrid SACD),
Symphonies 1 & 7: Beethoven - RPO/Wordsworth (Hybrid MultiCh SACD),
Moments Musicaux: Rachmaninov - Ashkenazy (Hybrid MultiCh SACD),
Knowing You - John Pizzarelli (Hybrid MultiCh SACD),
Also Sprach Zarathustra: Strauss - RPO/Mackerras (Hybrid MultiCh SACD),
The Planets: Holst - Atlanta Symphony Orchestra/Levi (Dolby Surround? or DTS CD?)*

* Now this is a bit of a curiosity... I wonder if other QQ-ers can chime in on this one pls? I know there's a DTS of Previn's The Planets (I have a rip) but this isn't it, it looks to all intents and purposes to be just a normal CD, except on the back it says "Surround Sound". It's TELARC CD-80466 btw. Is it Dolby encoded? Help please! (I'll open it tonight and play with it anyway.. but it would be nice to know how to play it and what I'm playing with! :eek:)

It's most likely Circle Surround matrix encoded. If you don't have a Circle Surround decoder, DTS:Neo-6 and Dolby PL-II will both decode Circle Surround and its stereo surrounds correctly. Circle Surrounds main claim of superiority is that the two rear channels are divided into 3 bands each and the two top bands are steered independently of each other or the other surround channel. Unlike DTS Neo and PL II though, Circle Surround is a gain-riding decoding system and not a variable matrix, cancellation decoding system, so both DTS and PL II actually decode it better. Oh, the Neural system will also decode Circle Surround.

Look in the credits in the booklet for Circle Surround. If you find no CS credits then it is a Shure Stereosurround encoded recording which is the same as Dolby Surround except the rear channels are full range. Telarc used Shure's Stereosurround process before switching to Circle Surround. They switched because Circle Surround had stereo surrounds and Shure Stereosurround did not.

haha! no way! I've got 400 Non-SHM-SACD's on my sa-cd.net wishlist still to find before I get onto the SHM's! (and some of those I doubt I'm ever gonna pick up now, things like Lovebox & Scorpions just seem impossible now).

admittedly, there aren't many DTS CDs/OOP DVD-A's/DualDiscs I've still yet to pick up but absolutely tons of SACDs before the 5.1 lady sings!

Which 5.1 SACD Lady are you referring to? Greta Matassa, perhaps?
http://www.elusivedisc.com/GRETA-MATASSA-LIVE-AT-TULAS-SACD/productinfo/JSSAM002/

It's most likely Circle Surround matrix encoded. If you don't have a Circle Surround decoder, DTS:Neo-6 and Dolby PL-II will both decode Circle Surround and its stereo surrounds correctly. Circle Surrounds main claim of superiority is that the two rear channels are divided into 3 bands each and the two top bands are steered independently of each other or the other surround channel. Unlike DTS Neo and PL II though, Circle Surround is a gain-riding decoding system and not a variable matrix, cancellation decoding system, so both DTS and PL II actually decode it better. Oh, the Neural system will also decode Circle Surround.

Look in the credits in the booklet for Circle Surround. If you find no CS credits then it is a Shure Stereosurround encoded recording which is the same as Dolby Surround except the rear channels are full range. Telarc used Shure's Stereosurround process before switching to Circle Surround. They switched because Circle Surround had stereo surrounds and Shure Stereosurround did not.

Thank you for taking the time to explain it all, I do appreciate it :)

FWIW, my Universal player reads this Holst Planets disc as a redbook CD, so I tried it thru PLII and it was very nice indeed with lots of neat rear activity.

Was so impressed/surprised by it in fact, I went hunting for more Telarc "Surround Sound" CDs and bought a few more tonight.

Wendy Carlos' "Switched On Bach 2000", The Ray Brown Trio's "Summertime" & Steve Reid's Bamboo Forest's "Mysteries" were the three that grabbed me, so in the shopping basket they went! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back