What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's post man had a good heart and came with a lot of treasures...

Torsten Rasch - Mein Herz brennt (Soft Cover, MC SACD) 16 Euro (incl. shipping)
Groove Armada - Vertigo (MC SACD) 23 Euro (incl. shipping)

From Amazon.com (in one parcel)
Yes - Fragile (MC SACD) 35 Euro (incl. shipping and 17.5% duties and taxes)
Eagles - Hotel California (MC SACD) 35 Euro (incl. shipping and 17.5% duties and taxes)
Deep Purple - Machine Head (MC SACD) 35 Euro (incl. shipping and 17.5% duties and taxes)

I also per-ordered them from Amazon.de at 36 Euro (incl. shipping) each. While the price at Amazon.com looked much better on first sight, after adding shipping, duties, and taxes the price is basically the same. The other SACD re-releases from Japan are higher priced at Amazon.de. So if you are in Germany ordering the above three SACD from Amazon.de is an excellent idea. Funny is, that the shipping from the US took three!!! weeks incl. customs handling. Still it is faster than my Amazon.de order.

Markus

I just see that the price for Chicago V SACD was also lowered at Amazon.de to EUR 36. And it is in stock!
Let's hope the price for Foreigner 4 also drops to this special.

Markus

Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink 40th Anniversary edition with the Wilson 5.1 mix on DVD. Well it's no DVD-A, so technically it does not count... Last one would then have been Bob Dylan's Nashville Skyline, on SACD.

Last edited:
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of the Moon (Immersion Box)

Wow, a lot of stuff I don't need, just to get hands on the quad-mix of DSOFTM....

Markus

Moloko - Status (MC SACD)
Earth, Wind & Fire - That's The Way Of The Wolrd: Alive In '75 (MC SACD)
Jazz At The Movies Band - The Bedroom Mixes (MC DVD-A)
Maná - Unplugged (MC DVD-A)

Rush - Moving Pictures (DVD-A)
Queen - A Night At The Opera (DTS DVD) I'm curious if there is really a difference to the DVD-A issue

Markus

Paul, (a.k.a. dr. simple) invited me to go with him to Finders Records (in Bowling Green OH) yesterday. We had a blast! We spent four hours (and too much money) perusing the countless isles of LP's, CD's, DVD's, and Blu-rays. Music playing, the smell of incense burning, everything a great record store should be. Anyway, I found a couple gems and picked up;

R.E.M. - New Adventures In Hi-Fi (CD+DVD-A)
The Wallflowers - Red Letter Days (SACD)
Gillian's Inn (Dual Disc) (only 5.1 Dolby Digital)

They still had most of the Bob Dylan SACD's and Eric Clapton - Slowhand to name a few, still in stock. They also have an awesome new vinyl section.

A few months ago, while at Finders, I picked up;

Carole King - Tapestry (SACD)
Sheryl Crow - The Globe Sessions (SACD)
Godsmack - The Other Side (SACD)
David Bowie - Let's Dance (SACD)

It's fun to find a few SACD and DVD-A's at regular prices, still in the bins at a brick & mortar! Hell, it's fun to just be at a REAL record store!

Dennis

Paul, (a.k.a. dr. simple) invited me to go with him to Finders Records (in Bowling Green OH) yesterday. We had a blast! We spent four hours (and too much money) perusing the countless isles of LP's, CD's, DVD's, and Blu-rays. Music playing, the smell of incense burning, everything a great record store should be...
It's fun to find a few SACD and DVD-A's at regular prices, still in the bins at a brick & mortar! Hell, it's fun to just be at a REAL record store!

Dennis

Yes, we had a blast! It was surreal to pick up a disc I've been seeking for years, and then buy it for $16.99:

Keane - "Hopes And Fears" SACD Hybrid

WAS TAPESTRY THE 5.1? I have the Q8, always HATED it. The 5.1 is well done! I like Tapestry in stereo better than the Q8. It sounds like you're in a drainage tunnel. My vote for worst Quad mix. All that echo also makes it seem low fi. Tony Orlando/Dawn Greatest doesn't even sound this bad. Before SACD, the CBS Mastersound 1/2 speed LP was the best sounding.

A year or two ago, there were over 4,000 vinyl titles in print. Bet there's lots more now. I usually buy only quad vinyl, or something not out on CD, usually used OOP. I still have over 5,000 hunks o' wax, 10% are Quad and Audiophile, incl DBX, still the best STEREO LP. Wish they did more.

I kept most of my faves on vinyl, but traded the rest, 2 for one as they were released on CD. Thank you, Jim Stagg and Record City! RIP to both. Jim owned a small chain in Chicago and Orlando. Everthing in print domestically and lots of imports. He was a DJ & Program director at WCFL. Sounded like Bill Kurtis. Interviewed the Beatles on air. Both a client and a friend.

I envision rebuying lots of 1/2 speed masters when I upgrade my turntable & cartridge. I kept most of my faves. Need a new Mofi 1/2 speed of Fleetwood Mac. World Turning has incredibly tight low end through my Ortofon Moving Coil. Never should have traded that even up for the CD. Thwack!

Note to Self: Next time in Ohio, make a trip to finders.

Linda
Over My Head, But it Sure Feels Nice

Paul, (a.k.a. dr. simple) invited me to go with him to Finders Records (in Bowling Green OH) yesterday. We had a blast! We spent four hours (and too much money) perusing the countless isles of LP's, CD's, DVD's, and Blu-rays. Music playing, the smell of incense burning, everything a great record store should be. Anyway, I found a couple gems and picked up;

R.E.M. - New Adventures In Hi-Fi (CD+DVD-A)
The Wallflowers - Red Letter Days (SACD)
Gillian's Inn (Dual Disc) (only 5.1 Dolby Digital)

They still had most of the Bob Dylan SACD's and Eric Clapton - Slowhand to name a few, still in stock. They also have an awesome new vinyl section.

A few months ago, while at Finders, I picked up;

Carole King - Tapestry (SACD)
Sheryl Crow - The Globe Sessions (SACD)
Godsmack - The Other Side (SACD)
David Bowie - Let's Dance (SACD)

Dennis

Here ya go: Finders Records. Note that the stuff on the website and the stuff in the store are NOT the same. They've also got a lot of pictures on facebook just so you can see the size... it ain't no Virgin Megastore, but it's bigger than most stores that are still open.
We have something similar here called Salzer's Records and the store was founded by concert promoter Jim Salzer. It's about a half hour drive from me. I haven't been there in a while. Last thing I purchased from them was Porcupine Tree's "Anesthetize" BD. It sure is a fun store and reminds me of the good old days. I'm happy that there still can be this type of store but for how long, is another question. http://www.salzers.com/

Neat place, Salzers. I've been there thru the years. They now once again have a used vinyl section with real bench strength. A great place to visit in Ventura besides the mission.
Don't forget to visit Gradys record refuge nearby, another great independent used record store with good selections and prices. But not much hirez mc.... :(

Last edited:
Neat place, Salzers. I've been there thru the years. They now once again have a used vinyl section with real bench strength. A great place to visit in Ventura besides the mission.
Don't forget to visit Gradys record emporium nearby, another great independent used record store with good selections and prices. But not much hirez mc.... :(
After my last Post, I was trying to remember the time frame when I was last seen in that store, and figured out that it was February 2010. What I will never forget, in 1986, I brought boxes and boxes of my precious vinyl to them to be sold for only a handful of "Perfect Sound Forever" compact discs. :(

Just got Dylan Blonde on Blonde today. Actually it was sitting in a po box locker for at least 7 days. Should check my mail more often.

Single layer and the 2 LP set is on a single disk. Paid $10 plus $3 shipping for a totally mint one on ebay, and it came with a plastic slipcase.

It's stereo only. There's always the other one, but it is on 2 disks, and Dylan in surround isn't my thing anyway.

....Need a new Mofi 1/2 speed of Fleetwood Mac. World Turning has incredibly tight low end through my Ortofon Moving Coil. Never should have traded that even up for the CD.

You like bass? Check that one out on reel to reel.

Was Fleetwood Mac (1975 w/Rhiannon) released on reel? What speed is it? Have you A/B'ed it to the MoFi 1/2 speed vinyl?

Landslide Linda

Just got Dylan Blonde on Blonde today. Actually it was sitting in a po box locker for at least 7 days. Should check my mail more often.

Single layer and the 2 LP set is on a single disk. Paid $10 plus $3 shipping for a totally mint one on ebay, and it came with a plastic slipcase.

It's stereo only. There's always the other one, but it is on 2 disks, and Dylan in surround isn't my thing anyway.

You like bass? Check that one out on reel to reel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back