What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back on topic :)

The Thrills - So Much for the City - DVD-A

sorry for steering away from the OT! its funny you should mention, I've been toying with getting that Thrills DVDA as its so readily available still (and cheap to boot!) but the one or two things I've heard about it point to a terrible recording, with heaps of nasty compression etc..

of that EMI Signature collection of DVDAs it would seem only the two live Bowie's and the Simple Minds are the winners.
most of the others seem to have their fair share of deficiencies.. Cassandra Wilson's has a rear channel swap on the High-res 5.1 but it's DTS 5.1 stream has the correct channels, bizarrely! d'oh!

have you given The Thrills a spin yet LizardKing?

The Manhattan Transfer - Vibrate (SACD)
David Crosby - If I Only Could Remember My Name (DVD-A)
Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - Mojo (BluRay, as my last Tom Petty it comes with a voucher for bonus download. This time the offer is still valid, but the code I got is invalid... ouch, the second disappointment in a row. I always thought a bonus is to make the customer happy, not frustrate. my disc was from Amazon.de, shrink-wrapped, so the code should not have been in use before)
One Twelve - Hot & Wet (DVD-A)

today's acquisitions, all DVDAs:

Peace Sells.. But Who's Buying - Megadeth (DVDA)
So Much for The City - The Thrills (DVDA)
Core - Stone Temple Pilots (DVDA)
Over the Edge and Back - The Best of Mickey Hart (DVDA)

These have all been sitting on the shelves of my local music store and I've resisted getting them for the longest time.

Varying reasons for not getting each one of them but ultimately boils down to none of them being my cup of tea musically, other than the Mickey Hart collection.

As they were all fairly cheap and looking a bit sorry for themselves just sat there gathering dust, I finally caved in and bought them all.

Now they can sit on my shelves gathering dust instead..!

Since I discovered surround sound audio (via DVD-audio discs) back in 2002, I have not turned back! I have sought out to own almost every single "rock" or "pop" rock title out there (not much interest in classical, jazz, hip-hop, though I do like some country as well). Although I am currently selling most of my catalogue, I still purchase new SACD and DVD-A's on a regular basis. I would say I have bought at least 10 different titles in the last few months. Many of them new releases. Such purchase include Opeth's "Heritage", Storm Corrosion's new album and Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson 'TAAB-2'. Of course too, like many others, I have purchased all of the new Pink Floyd, Who, and Jethro Tull boxsets, all containing 5.1 mixes....

have you given The Thrills a spin yet LizardKing?

I've given it a couple of spins....quite enjoying it...Like they say on Wikipedia it's "an ocean-soaked, harmony-heavy homage to California's dreamy dreams, shaking ground, and unrelenting sunshine"....:)

I've given it a couple of spins....quite enjoying it...Like they say on Wikipedia it's "an ocean-soaked, harmony-heavy homage to California's dreamy dreams, shaking ground, and unrelenting sunshine"....:)

that's a pretty good précis, oh King of the Lizards!

you know, you inspired me to go today and finally buy the copy of the Thrills DVDA I've been looking at on the store shelf for months now!

I've only played it through once so far but it is rather good, the surround mix is nice and the fidelity is nowhere near as bad as a couple of crackpots I saw discussing it on the SH forums would have you believe.

These two SACDs were at my p o box today.

Attachments

• two_new_sacd.jpg
    two_new_sacd.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 99
Serge Gainsbourg - History De Melody Nelson (DD-DVD)
David Bowie - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars (DTS-DVD)

Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band - Swinging' For The Fences (DD-DVD)
A second factory sealed copy of Dishwalla Opaline (because it was to cheap to skip it; DVD-A)

I have to correct this. ]Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band - Swinging' For The Fences DualDisc also has DTS. And even while it is a Silverline disc it sounds excellent. I pulled up the volume a bit and really was fascinated.

Markus

Yes, its a LP plus a DVD. Got it from Amazon.de today.

Markus

ahh!! fantastic! I wish I'd pre-ordered it now, rather than waited to pick it up in-store on Monday :(

well, the big questions (for me) are..

is the dvd at 24/48 in 5.1 DTS, as has been speculated?

and what is the stereo in? is it 24/96?

oh and.. when are you going to listen to it so you can report back to us all on how the bonus 5.1 tracks and the new stereo remaster sound!? hehe.. ;)

ahh!! fantastic! I wish I'd pre-ordered it now, rather than waited to pick it up in-store on Monday :(

well, the big questions (for me) are..

is the dvd at 24/48 in 5.1 DTS, as has been speculated?

and what is the stereo in? is it 24/96?

oh and.. when are you going to listen to it so you can report back to us all on how the bonus 5.1 tracks and the new stereo remaster sound!? hehe.. ;)

Please see the scan of the DVD cover.

New-2.jpg

Markus

P.S. Sorry, did not hear it yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back