What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So from the back cover notes, the new Ray Staff 2012 remaster IS in 24/96 PCM Stereo!
WHOOPPEE..!! :banana:

...and it appears Ray Staff has remastered the 2003 Ken Scott 5.1 remixes too..!?

Good grief!

So the 5.1 is not just a transfer of the old SACD..?!?

This new Ziggy just got even more interesting!

Thank you once again, Markus! (y)

So from the back cover notes, the new Ray Staff 2012 remaster IS in 24/96 PCM Stereo!
WHOOPPEE..!! :banana:

...and it appears Ray Staff has remastered the 2003 Ken Scott 5.1 remixes too..!?

Good grief!

So the 5.1 is not just a transfer of the old SACD..?!?

This new Ziggy just got even more interesting!

Thank you once again, Markus! (y)

It was really a deal. Cost me just 21 Euros with shipping and comes with a 180g LP, incl. a nice LP cover. I never had the original LP cover but I guess it is the very same except the 40th anniversary notes and the pouch for the DVD.
I already have the SACD and now to find out which edition I like more. Puh, hard work ahead :)

Markus

It was really a deal. Cost me just 21 Euros with shipping and comes with a 180g LP, incl. a nice LP cover. I never had the original LP cover but I guess it is the very same except the 40th anniversary notes and the pouch for the DVD.
I already have the SACD and now to find out which edition I like more. Puh, hard work ahead :)

Markus

that is a good deal..!

I'm ready to throw down £30 @HMV next week for it.. my fault for holding out and wanting to get it in person.

if the notes on the back cover scan are correct and the new DVD has had some form of remastering by Ray Staff of Ken Scott's 2003 mixes, I suspect you may well prefer this new disc to the old SACD.. but we shall see!

that is a good deal..!

I'm ready to throw down £30 @HMV next week for it.. my fault for holding out and wanting to get it in person.

if the notes on the back cover scan are correct and the new DVD has had some form of remastering by Ray Staff of Ken Scott's 2003 mixes, I suspect you may well prefer this new disc to the old SACD.. but we shall see!

The good thing with SACD is, that you can put it into the player and it plays what you expect. These DVDs need you to do a audio setup on your TV first. Let's hope the new mix is in a way that it is worth the extra work. And then there are four extra tracks...

Let's hope Bowie's Heaven SACD will be re-released as DVD as well. The SACD is far out of my budget for a single disc.

Markus

The good thing with SACD is, that you can put it into the player and it plays what you expect. These DVDs need you to do a audio setup on your TV first. Let's hope the new mix is in a way that it is worth the extra work. And then there are four extra tracks...

Let's hope Bowie's Heaven SACD will be re-released as DVD as well. The SACD is far out of my budget for a single disc.

Markus

I totally agree with you, SACD is more user-friendly, without all the fuss of having to have your tv on and the annoying menu faffing.. and loud music during the menu selection procedure.. aagghh!

that said there are a fair number of DVDAs where the advanced resolution 5.1 just plays straight away without you having to do anything beyond hit "Play", or even just load up the disc.

off the top of my head, the Winelight DVDA is one disc that does that on my Pioneer player, wham-bam, one button press and you're right in there, just as you would with an SACD.

As for Bowie's Heathen SACD, I'd practically given up hope of finding it at sensible money a few years ago.. but I still check online and in thrift stores etc just in case a copy pops up. Its not happened for me or you, yet.. but you never know.. maybe one day!

At this point though, the chances of a 5.1 DVD-V of Heathen being released are virtually nil, imho, sadly.

Gram Parsons GP stereo SACD. Not too impressed by this. Doubt it if I'll buy the 2nd title that is planned.

The Manhattan Transfer - Vibrate (SACD)
David Crosby - If I Only Could Remember My Name (DVD-A)
Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - Mojo (BluRay, as my last Tom Petty it comes with a voucher for bonus download. This time the offer is still valid, but the code I got is invalid... ouch, the second disappointment in a row. I always thought a bonus is to make the customer happy, not frustrate. my disc was from Amazon.de, shrink-wrapped, so the code should not have been in use before)
One Twelve - Hot & Wet (DVD-A)

Just wanted to share that the fan service of Tom Petty helped me with a new code in the meantime. Excellent - frustration level reduced dramatically :)

Markus

I totally agree with you, SACD is more user-friendly, without all the fuss of having to have your tv on and the annoying menu faffing.. and loud music during the menu selection procedure.. aagghh!

that said there are a fair number of DVDAs where the advanced resolution 5.1 just plays straight away without you having to do anything beyond hit "Play", or even just load up the disc.

off the top of my head, the Winelight DVDA is one disc that does that on my Pioneer player, wham-bam, one button press and you're right in there, just as you would with an SACD.

As for Bowie's Heathen SACD, I'd practically given up hope of finding it at sensible money a few years ago.. but I still check online and in thrift stores etc just in case a copy pops up. Its not happened for me or you, yet.. but you never know.. maybe one day!

At this point though, the chances of a 5.1 DVD-V of Heathen being released are virtually nil, imho, sadly.

Short update. Gave the disc a spin and must say it sounds very good. Can not say it is better than the SACD since I did not listen to the SACD again. A pity that it does not start automatically, so you need your TV to make a decision what stream to hear first. Bonus tracks are also surround in some extra menu. Let's dream that more hard to get SACD are re-released at this quality and price.

Markus

Pat Metheny - Imaginary Day - DVD-A

Whats wrong with this picture :mad:@:......

213351958.jpg

Short update. Gave the disc a spin and must say it sounds very good. Can not say it is better than the SACD since I did not listen to the SACD again. A pity that it does not start automatically, so you need your TV to make a decision what stream to hear first. Bonus tracks are also surround in some extra menu. Let's dream that more hard to get SACD are re-released at this quality and price.

Markus

thank you Markus. it is a shame that you have to have the tv on just to play it back. I wonder if it's authored in such a way you can just hit "Play" and then tap the "Audio" button on your remote until you get the stream you want?

then again, if you have to goto another menu altogether for the 5.1 bonuses anyway rather than them be tacked onto the end of the album, with a 10-15 second delay or something, then it seems "tv on" for this one is a necessity.

i agree, it is great to have an old and now overpriced SACD reissued with more content than before at a great price.. but I can't help thinking how much nicer it'd be to have some other classic Bowie albums in 5.1, rather than the same one as we already had 10 years ago!?

did you get a chance to play the high-res stereo of this yet, Markus?

oh and how do the bonus tracks sound? same surround mix approach as the 5.1 album tracks?

Is this a sticky thread? :mad:@: Well, it IS multichannel. How cum my SACD player won't play this? Wasn't Columbia pressing WEA at this point? They just wanted to see if you'd notice. The SACD stickers used on some titles would peel off the shrink wrap, if you were careful. Someone's idea of a joke. :ugham:

Pat Metheny - Imaginary Day - DVD-A

Whats wrong with this picture :mad:@:......

View attachment 5252

thank you Markus. it is a shame that you have to have the tv on just to play it back. I wonder if it's authored in such a way you can just hit "Play" and then tap the "Audio" button on your remote until you get the stream you want?

then again, if you have to goto another menu altogether for the 5.1 bonuses anyway rather than them be tacked onto the end of the album, with a 10-15 second delay or something, then it seems "tv on" for this one is a necessity.

i agree, it is great to have an old and now overpriced SACD reissued with more content than before at a great price.. but I can't help thinking how much nicer it'd be to have some other classic Bowie albums in 5.1, rather than the same one as we already had 10 years ago!?

did you get a chance to play the high-res stereo of this yet, Markus?

oh and how do the bonus tracks sound? same surround mix approach as the 5.1 album tracks?

I never care for the stereo tracks. All I can say after trying it for 5 secs: they are there and play.

The bonuses: One is an instrumental of en existing title. The last one is with noise while the band prepares. It is rather rough. None of the bonus title is something I was missing so far. Good luck they did not added it to the album tracks. I don't like if the order of tracks is changed. After listening to an album often I get used to it I prefer it to stay the way I got used to it :)

Markus

haha! me too! wouldn't it have been even more deliciously ironic if this had been a DualDisc with a sticker on it saying:
"Plays on ALL DVD and CD players"...

Then it would be a "Double sided hybrid multichannel disc - that (never) plays on SACD,CD and DVD players ;)"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back