What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've still got to wonder what HDS was thinking when they put this one out instead of They Only Come Out At Night.

very true.. but this is still a very fun quad mix with lots of wild round the room panning on the last track!
I've already played it through twice tonight and love it! I didn't know the album beforehand so it could be the mix is a poor relation to the stereo but it's so discrete on the HDS/DTS, it's hilarious!!

also just added to the pile (getting nearer to having all of that first wave of Warner DVDAs now! woo!)..

Road Rock Vol.1 - Neil Young (Friends & Relatives) - DVDA

I couldn't resist, it was £3 :D

Perhaps they were thinking that Jasmine Nightdreams was unavailable on CD, which it still is in the US. It is available from the UK (coupled w/featuring Rick Derringer) and Japan. Still, I don't believe this wonderful album ever sold well. Like Cupboy, I was surprised, though elated, to see it released in DTS. I much prefer that to the 2ch SACD that TOCOAN was released as.

I've still got to wonder what HDS was thinking when they put this one out instead of They Only Come Out At Night.

Perhaps they were thinking that Jasmine Nightdreams was unavailable on CD, which it still is in the US. It is available from the UK (coupled w/featuring Rick Derringer) and Japan. Still, I don't believe this wonderful album ever sold well. Like Cupboy, I was surprised, though elated, to see it released in DTS. I much prefer that to the 2ch SACD that TOCOAN was released as.

Really!? I cannot believe it's not available on CD in the U.S..!! Thats crazy, you're bang on, its wonderful..!!

I'm waiting upon the DTS CD of Poco's "Crazy Eyes", coming from 5.1 Marketing, seemingly another 70's hidden gem, just from the sounds of the samples on iTunes.. like Jasmine Nightdreams, I'd never heard either of these albums before I discovered they were on quad>DTS CDs!

There's an SACD of TOCOAN!? crikey! A Sony jobby? I see on the Jasmine DTS rear inlay it's a Sony title.

Yes, it comes from Chicago's own MoFi/Music Direct. http://www.musicdirect.com/ They also have EWF That's the Way, Billy Joel Turnstiles & Piano Man, Blood, Sweat & Tears, Santana/McLaughlin & Caravanserai, Carole King and several Stevie Ray Vaughns. Doobies from WEA. Pet Sounds & The Band from Capitol. All in "glorious" 2ch.

...There's an SACD of TOCOAN!? crikey! A Sony jobby? ...

Well, you could ask QuadTrade (Tad). He was with HDS when they were licensing Surround Titles from CBS/Sony in the pre-SACD days.

Just received and watched the first disc of the KC- Live in "Gaucho/Ché" land...will comment when someone creates a poll...mixed feelings...still good , but mixed...

I did a negative add on my Doors Perception box today. Shipped it out priority mail.

... awaiting the SACDs.

Yes, it comes from Chicago's own MoFi/Music Direct. http://www.musicdirect.com/ They also have EWF That's the Way, Billy Joel Turnstiles & Piano Man, Blood, Sweat & Tears, Santana/McLaughlin & Caravanserai, Carole King and several Stevie Ray Vaughns. Doobies from WEA. Pet Sounds & The Band from Capitol. All in "glorious" 2ch.

Ah brillo! Thank you for the info Linda :)

I'll have to hunt down the TOCOAN SACD for sensible money someday. It doesn't seem outrageously priced but still i'd rather not pay £30 for it.

I've only got the Doobies' Takin' it to the Streets MoFi SACD as I was quite happy with my Japanese Mini LP Doobies' CDs. Ultimately the SACD of TitTs was a letdown for me, too smooth and lacking the treble and bass boost of the remaster, which for me this album in particular needs to give it just that extra bit of welly!

I've heard the stereo MoFi SACD of EWF's That's the way is worth getting and that the quad wasn't that great, so not such a sadness not having it on the SACD after all. Still, would have been nice to have the quad and hear it for myself to judge!

Well, you could ask QuadTrade (Tad). He was with HDS when they were licensing Surround Titles from CBS/Sony in the pre-SACD days.

This thread on the Steve Hoffman forums, with contributions from QuadTrade Tad, explains why Jasmine Nightdreams was chosen first, in favour of the TOCOAN, to be transferred from quad>DTS HDS.

Since I've not heard the Japanses Titts, I can't judge. It is their best album. I liked the Mofi SACD, perhaps 'cause I don't know better.

I should have mentioned that I believe EWF's TtWOtW and Edgar's TOCOAN are both OOP. Even SQ encoded would beat 2ch. Wasted opportunities.

Ah brillo! Thank you for the info Linda :)

I'll have to hunt down the TOCOAN SACD for sensible money someday. It doesn't seem outrageously priced but still i'd rather not pay £30 for it.

I've only got the Doobies' Takin' it to the Streets MoFi SACD as I was quite happy with my Japanese Mini LP Doobies' CDs. Ultimately the SACD of TitTs was a letdown for me, too smooth and lacking the treble and bass boost of the remaster, which for me this album in particular needs to give it just that extra bit of welly!

I've heard the stereo MoFi SACD of EWF's That's the way is worth getting and that the quad wasn't that great, so not such a sadness not having it on the SACD after all. Still, would have been nice to have the quad and hear it for myself to judge!

I did a negative add on my Doors Perception box today. Shipped it out priority mail.

... awaiting the SACDs.

Neil Wilkes is convinced the upcoming SACDs will feature the same 5.1 mixes as the Perception DVDAs
and will differ only in being non-cat-friendly due to the spooky audio cd DSD ultrasonic noise guff stuff!

Oh and without the extra visual material of the DVDAs, too, of course.

If that turns out to be the case, I see no reason for the new Doors' set, other than it being a shameless cash-cow.

We shall see..

Since I've not heard the Japanses Titts, I can't judge. It is their best album. I liked the Mofi SACD, perhaps 'cause I don't know better.

I should have mentioned that I believe EWF's TtWOtW and Edgar's TOCOAN are both OOP. Even SQ encoded would beat 2ch. Wasted opportunities.

hehe! I don't think I've come across any Japanese tits in my travels either! :D

Japanese Obi's, yes.. but tits, no!

I'd guessed those must be OOP by now :(
I passed by the EWF MoFi when it was @RRP as it was "only" 2-ch.. silly me!

I totally agree, wasted opportunity time ahoy! MoFi could have even stealthily released the SQ encoded tracks on one of the hybrid layers, just for fun!

I think at least one SH forum member has tried playing back his original 1st issue CD pressing of TOCOAN in PLII, as the liner notes are lifted from the Quad LP and thought it might be a stealth SQ like one of the CD masterings of Neil Diamonds' Serenade which decodes in PLII quite nicely.

Not unlike the redbook remaster of Dylan's Desire, which uses the scan of the Quad LP sleeve, containing the credits for the Quadraphonic mix. I must try putting that through DPLII someday.

Kwad Kitty has hidden my credit cards so I won't decide to replace my Perception DVD-A's with screeching SACD's. Besides, will the $270 SACD box come with a peep hole?

Neil Wilkes is convinced the upcoming SACDs will feature the same 5.1 mixes as the Perception DVDAs
and will differ only in being non-cat-friendly due to the spooky audio cd DSD ultrasonic noise guff stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back