What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How's the Ozawa/LSO Respghi?
I was a bit disappointed there are no birds in it. I was curious how real they'd sound on a SHM SACD. I guess I'll have to wait for another version. I wonder if they could do the Dutoit version on SHM SACD. Maybe not since it was digitally recorded.

How does that new shorter Sam Cooke SACD compare to the Abkco PORTRAIT OF A LEGEND SACD?

The high frequencies are a bit smoother than they are on Portrait. Likely that's because AP processes through tube gear. It's exactly what I expected. Portrait has 30 tracks, Best has 14. The alternate Another Saturday was my impetus for buying Best. IMHO, Portrait is the better choice, albeit with SLIGHTLY inferior fidelity. Portrait has 30 tracks vs. Best's 14. Portrait has his BEST track, A Change Gon' Come, which is missing from Best. Shake and Good News are also absent. If you're a Cooke fan, both are in order.

...How does that new shorter Sam Cooke SACD compare to the Abkco PORTRAIT OF A LEGEND SACD?

The high frequencies are a bit smoother than they are on Portrait. Likely that's because AP processes through tube gear. It's exactly what I expected. Portrait has 30 tracks, Best has 14. The alternate Another Saturday was my impetus for buying Best. IMHO, Portrait is the better choice, albeit with SLIGHTLY inferior fidelity. Portrait has 30 tracks vs. Best's 14. Portrait has his BEST track, A Change Gon' Come, which is missing from Best. Shake and Good News are also absent. If you're a Cooke fan, both are in order.

Ooh! How's the Doobies' "Vices" SACD, Linda?? Fab album!

I believe this is the record company's decision, not MoFi's. It would likely be an additional license fee for an another mix. I'll find out the next time I'm at MoFi.

Right. Mobile Fidelity's license to the album is likely for the Stereo tracks only. Warner may want to issue the Surround tracks on their own label later on.
There are also questions about what the Surround tracks would add to the cost of the license - and to the project itself.

OK-no great shakes. I think my original vinyl sounds better, as well as the CD-4 (yes, I know it stops at 15k.) I haven't had a chance to a/b it to my original CD. I expect it will be better, though not by a great deal.

shame that given the best (master, as ever) tapes and utilising the best DACs & mastering methods, etc.. MFSL still can't improve on the nigh-on 40 year vinyl.. it's no wonder there are people who consider vinyl to be audiophile media when this happens with such regularity.

It may be better by a margin, it could even be worse! The TitTS MFSL SACD, for example, is warmer but less exciting/engaging than the Japanese mini-LP CD remaster, imho.

I believe this is the record company's decision, not MoFi's. It would likely be an additional license fee for an another mix. I'll find out the next time I'm at MoFi.

Oh Linda, that would be wonderful if you could ascertain, from the horses' mouth, why these Quad mixes are continually omitted from these SACDs by MFSL. Thank you.

It certainly can't be for lack of data space on the SACD discs.

Of course I'd kind of understand if it's cost-prohibitive but then an extra $5 or even $10 per disc and that should cover costs and MFSLs' sales would no doubt increase exponentially.

If, on the other hand, Warner are indeed withholding the Quad for a rainy day, that day never seems to come.

So what happens instead!?

The "underground movement" is forced into action and (illegitimately) transfers and then disseminates the Quad.

I'm not condeming such goings on at all, you can't blame Quad/surround folks for doing this when hands are tied by record company b-s, etc.. but it's a nutzoid situation..!!

and MFSLs' sales would no doubt increase exponentially.
That seems like a huge leap of faith. Sales is what it all comes down to. If the people who sell music thought they could make money by making surround available for purchase...well wouldn't they do just that? They have had years to work this out with the license owners. Seems like they are not highly motivated to go in that direction. I don't blame them. The surround market is too small.

That seems like a huge leap of faith. Sales is what it all comes down to. If the people who sell music thought they could make money by making surround available for purchase...well wouldn't they do just that? They have had years to work this out with the license owners. Seems like they are not highly motivated to go in that direction. I don't blame them. The surround market is too small.

fair comment, wavelength, but you really think its unrealistic of me to expect this could be a financially-viable possibility for MFSL?

QuadLinda recently calculated the projected revenue of Rhino Handmade's two Quadio releases.

She came back with some very interesting numbers that made it seem they turned in a profit.

On that basis, I'd be intrigued to know how much the extra licensing from, say Warners, could contribute to overheads, thus rendering MFSL adding the (already-mixed) Quad presentation to the surround layer on the SACDs they continue to release not financially viable?

If numbers are produced that prove the surround market is too small for MFSL to make a healthy return by adding Quad to their SACD programme, I'll button my lip!

I see MFSL did their usual trick by NOT sticking the Quad mix on the spare Multichannel layer..
There is no multichannel layer. It's SACD and CD. Two layers. Except on my preferred format, single layer in which case there is only SACD.

can I ask you LivingForever, how much you paid for the Moloko SACD and where you found it? Thanks :)

sorry to shock you again. I paid earlier this year EUR 21,50 on ebay.de :)
The guy flooded the market with his whole collection and I picked up the not so popular items like Moloko and went away at the pieces going over the top. Be patient and keep your eyes open.

Markus

There is no multichannel layer. It's SACD and CD. Two layers. Except on my preferred format, single layer in which case there is only SACD.

Yes, I know there's no multichannel on these things :)

I meant that hybrid SACDs have plenty of room to accommodate the surround program, so MFSL can't use lack of disc space as an excuse not to include the quad mixes on their SACDs where quad mixes exist.

MFSL are asses. Always have been.

They still make gold CDs too. What is this, 1995?

sorry to shock you again. I paid earlier this year EUR 21,50 on ebay.de :)
The guy flooded the market with his whole collection and I picked up the not so popular items like Moloko and went away at the pieces going over the top. Be patient and keep your eyes open.

Markus

congrats Markus!

one for you to add to the all new sticky thread, methinks..

"the anti shocker log"..! :D

MFSL are asses. Always have been.

haha! Its probably blasphemy to some but I've only been very impressed with a few of the MFSL things i've got or heard.

The last Doobies MFSL SACD I bought (Takin' it to the streets) was pretty underwhelming.

I'm looking forward to hearing what MFSL have got to say to QuadLinda when she asks them why they don't issue quad mixes! :D

haha! Its probably blasphemy to some but I've only been very impressed with a few of the MFSL things i've got or heard.

The last Doobies MFSL SACD I bought (Takin' it to the streets) was pretty underwhelming.

That one sounds like a Kevin Gray mastering job. I wonder if he did it. Bland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back