What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toulouse Street.

Compared too the other three (I agree bland) MFSL Doobies. This one stands out. It retains more of that airy analogue sound. You can play it loud and the double drumming kicks ass. All four were mastered by Rob Lo Verde on the GAIN 2 SYSTEM :mad:@:.

That one sounds like a Kevin Gray mastering job. I wonder if he did it. Bland.

Toulouse Street.

Compared too the other three (I agree bland) MFSL Doobies. This one stands out. It retains more of that airy analogue sound. You can play it loud and the double drumming kicks ass. All four were mastered by Rob Lo Verde on the GAIN 2 SYSTEM :mad:@:.

yes, bland! thats the word!

it's uncanny how mastering decisions and equipment can take exciting albums (basically most of the Tom Johnston era Doobies that's been represented on MFSL SACD so far) and make them sound uninteresting :(

thank for the tip on Toulouse Street, beached :)
I've passed that SACD by on store shelves a good few times, not least because I prefer everything from The Captain & Me onwards but after the "Takin' it" SACD disappointment I lost interest!

Neil Wilkes is convinced the upcoming SACDs will feature the same 5.1 mixes as the Perception DVDAs
and will differ only in being non-cat-friendly due to the spooky audio cd DSD ultrasonic noise guff stuff!

Oh and without the extra visual material of the DVDAs, too, of course.

If that turns out to be the case, I see no reason for the new Doors' set, other than it being a shameless cash-cow.

We shall see..

That's why I kept mine... not bothering with the SACDs especially since the SACD set will be missing one (or is it two?)

A friend of mine just went to a flea market and saw a sign...
Classical CD's 10 for $1...
So, he started going through them and she said, I'll give them all to you for a dollar...
So he took them... 50 some odd discs.
When he got home there were 15 Hybrid - MultiChannel SACDs in the pile (well, one was stereo only)
and him knowing I'm into surround, he surprised me with them today.
There are several PentaTone selections, 2 Harmonia Mundi Discs, Delos, Tudor etc.
Most are the usual Warhorses though.
I have to go through them. They are all in perfect condition... the discs and art are, the cases have a few light scuffs.
I do like classical but I'm not a huge buff.
I have been collecting the Living Stereo stuff which I started because I do so love to hear Jascha Heifitz play!

John Legend - Get Lifted (SACD)
Metallica - Black (DVD-A)

My Odyssey: Sam Cooke - Live at the Copa (SACD). Seems I'm unable to get this. Ordered it twice from Amazon.de Marketplace and got CDs. Ordered again from Amazon.de directly and also got an "overpriced" regular CD. Got all my money anb shipping costs back but gave up hunting for it now. Somebody have a real Sam Cooke - Live at the Copa MC SACD for trade???

Markus

^^I know the Metallica dvd-a doesn't get much love, but I like it a lot. Nothing Else Matters sounds great really loud in 5.1!

John Legend - Get Lifted (SACD)
Metallica - Black (DVD-A)

My Odyssey: Sam Cooke - Live at the Copa (SACD). Seems I'm unable to get this. Ordered it twice from Amazon.de Marketplace and got CDs. Ordered again from Amazon.de directly and also got an "overpriced" regular CD. Got all my money anb shipping costs back but gave up hunting for it now. Somebody have a real Sam Cooke - Live at the Copa MC SACD for trade???

Markus

Oh no Markus! I feel your pain :(

I had to get the Sam Cooke SACD from 5.1 Marketing to be sure it would be in surround, every other copy turned out to be the regular stereo!

I think both the SACD & the redbook have the same UPC info, hence the constant problems!?

The same UPC is a problem, but the bigger problem is the sellers. Why would they try to get a SACD price for a standard CD? That's the real mystery.

As George Harrison sang, Beware of Abkco!! The Abkco titles MUST be in paper sleeves, or they won't be SACD's!! Yes, they have the same UPC!!

Oh no Markus! I feel your pain :(

I had to get the Sam Cooke SACD from 5.1 Marketing to be sure it would be in surround, every other copy turned out to be the regular stereo!

I think both the SACD & the redbook have the same UPC info, hence the constant problems!?

John legend Get Lifted and Sequentia Lost Songs of a Rhineland Harper. Both mc sacds for $6.99 each at fryes today.... Sequentia do medieval music quite good, and the Legend I'd been planning to check out for years.

John legend Get Lifted and Sequentia Lost Songs of a Rhineland Harper. Both mc sacds for $6.99 each at fryes today.... Sequentia do medieval music quite good, and the Legend I'd been planning to check out for years.

nice one! for $6.99 you can't really go wrong can you!?

that said, although I've not heard the SACD of Get Lifted, I have heard a DTS rip of it and it's not upto much.

some folks have suggested its a bit of a waste of a multichannel SACD, as the surround mix is lacking and the sonics aren't upto scratch. I'd be interested to see what you make of it, jefe1 :)

Yes, it's funny, but it's true. All Things Must Pass with the blue cover does have a Beware of Darkness outtake where George sings Beware of Abkco! Yes, EVERYTHING on Abkco that was available as SACD still has the same UPC/SKU # for later pressings that are NOT SACD. That includes Herman's Hermits, Animals, Sam Cooke and Rolling Stones. Every one I've encountered, except the Stones, doesn't has an SACD logo, but does have a DSD logo, all on the back cover. The Stones releases did not have DSD or SACD logos on the back. If they're in jewel boxes, they are NOT SACD. Beware of Abkco!!

hahaha!!! :D

or as John Lennon might have sung..
"Oh Abkco.. Oh Abkco!"

did the same Abkco UPC curse befall the Stones' SACDs too, Linda?

Yes, it's funny, but it's true. All Things Must Pass with the blue cover does have a Beware of Darkness outtake where George sings Beware of Abkco! Yes, EVERYTHING on Abkco that was available as SACD still has the same UPC/SKU # for later pressings that are NOT SACD. That includes Herman's Hermits, Animals, Sam Cooke and Rolling Stones. Every one I've encountered, except the Stones, doesn't has an SACD logo, but does have a DSD logo, all on the back cover. The Stones releases did not have DSD or SACD logos on the back. If they're in jewel boxes, they are NOT SACD. Beware of Abkco!!

really!? Good Lord! Beware the ides of Abkco! (and beware their UPCs too!) :D

The same UPC is a problem, but the bigger problem is the sellers. Why would they try to get a SACD price for a standard CD? That's the real mystery.

In this case Amazon was wrong as well. Their price was ~EUR 20. The marketplace vendors offered for < EUR 10.
The description and the title of the product had been clear that it is a SACD in surround so I had no problems returning the redbooks.

Markus

While it became better already. In the beginning they listed any edition just by the look of the cover photo. After you got the wrong stuff they tried to argue the disk you got is the right one. I often had to write that I could have got the redbook they send for < EUR 1 from many vendors.
Now the rating system is more important and refunding became easier. Since German law says they also have to pay for shipping costs to them they became more careful. Some simply say: keep the wrong disc and refund in full. If a disk costs EUR 6 is does not work for them to pay me EUR 3 to send it back. While recently I had even this...

You need a strong will if you dive into the Marketplace and eBay to hunt for hidden treasures. I

watch this thread carefully for ideas what to hunt. I also post my new finds in the hope others do the same.

Markus

While it became better already. In the beginning they listed any edition just by the look of the cover photo. After you got the wrong stuff they tried to argue the disk you got is the right one. I often had to write that I could have got the redbook they send for < EUR 1 from many vendors.
Now the rating system is more important and refunding became easier. Since German law says they also have to pay for shipping costs to them they became more careful. Some simply say: keep the wrong disc and refund in full. If a disk costs EUR 6 is does not work for them to pay me EUR 3 to send it back. While recently I had even this...

You need a strong will if you dive into the Marketplace and eBay to hunt for hidden treasures. I

watch this thread carefully for ideas what to hunt. I also post my new finds in the hope others do the same.

Markus

you do indeed need a strong will when buying on the Amazon marketplace, Markus, you're quite right.. it's not too often you'll get a fulsome description of an item without contacting the seller first! by which time, if it really is a rare disc, you might well have lost it to another buyer!

as for eBay I have learned the hard way now to only buy discs from sellers who have taken the trouble to post photos of the actual item they are selling. I cannot be bothered with all the aggro of sending the damned things back anymore when they turn out to be the redbook CD! Especially since I'm not working in an office or retail environment these days where I can more easily return it and now my local Post Office has closed down, it's just all too much bloody hassle!

If I lose out, I lose out.. C'est la vie.. que sera.. And all that jazzapalooza! it's not meant to be!

you do indeed need a strong will when buying on the Amazon marketplace, Markus, you're quite right.. it's not too often you'll get a fulsome description of an item without contacting the seller first! by which time, if it really is a rare disc, you might well have lost it to another buyer!

as for eBay I have learned the hard way now to only buy discs from sellers who have taken the trouble to post photos of the actual item they are selling. I cannot be bothered with all the aggro of sending the damned things back anymore when they turn out to be the redbook CD! Especially since I'm not working in an office or retail environment these days where I can more easily return it and now my local Post Office has closed down, it's just all too much bloody hassle!

If I lose out, I lose out.. C'est la vie.. que sera.. And all that jazzapalooza! it's not meant to be!

Indeed, being a MC disk hunter is a terrible fate :)

In Germany we have very strong customer rights making it a bit easier. We also have no real post office anymore but our post man is the best we could get and he not only brings stuff in time: He also picks them up if already at my door. Anyway, it is hard if you open the envelope and you find a stinking redbook disk instead the treasure you hoped for days if not weeks. Some Marketplace vendors send from the US, New Zealand, and so on while they state to be domestic.

Yes, it is a cruel world :)

Markus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back