What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
King Crimson - Live In Argentina 1994 (2 x DVD-A)
Alan Parsons - A Valid Path (DTS-DVD DualDisc)
COC - America's Volume Dealer (DVD-A, Silverline, hope it is OK)

Markus

Indeed, being a MC disk hunter is a terrible fate :)

In Germany we have very strong customer rights making it a bit easier. We also have no real post office anymore but our post man is the best we could get and he not only brings stuff in time: He also picks them up if already at my door. Anyway, it is hard if you open the envelope and you find a stinking redbook disk instead the treasure you hoped for days if not weeks. Some Marketplace vendors send from the US, New Zealand, and so on while they state to be domestic.

Yes, it is a cruel world :)

Markus

very interesting point, Markus, I've noticed increasingly over time, Amazon marketplace sellers here in the UK are calling themselves "CDs UK" or "UK DVD 4U" and then the stuff comes from the USA, takes ages to arrive and you either get whammed by Customs' charges, the thing is destroyed in transit, or it turns up and its the wrong thing! grr!

i've found private sellers on eBay package stuff better, with plenty of bubble wrap etc. plus of course the descriptions and pics there help enormously but even the businesses on there tend to do a better job.

i can't help wondering if that is also due to the feedback system seeming to be more meaningful and transparent on eBay, like more of a community approach (i realise its too huge now for all that but in some ways it still has the slightly cosy feel it had 10 years ago) whereas Amazons' marketplace can be a scary, bleak place sometimes.

In my eyes, when you're buying records from overseas, you can NEVER have Too Much Information..!!

I must give honourable mention to 5.1 Marketing's Larry Klenin, who I've bought quite a bit of stuff from over the years, always packs discs very well indeed! in fact, among the best sellers from the USA in my experience. i'd rather pay more for a new disc and be sure it arrives in one piece!

very interesting point, Markus, I've noticed increasingly over time, Amazon marketplace sellers here in the UK are calling themselves "CDs UK" or "UK DVD 4U" and then the stuff comes from the USA, takes ages to arrive and you either get whammed by Customs' charges, the thing is destroyed in transit, or it turns up and its the wrong thing! grr!

i've found private sellers on eBay package stuff better, with plenty of bubble wrap etc. plus of course the descriptions and pics there help enormously but even the businesses on there tend to do a better job.

i can't help wondering if that is also due to the feedback system seeming to be more meaningful and transparent on eBay, like more of a community approach (i realise its too huge now for all that but in some ways it still has the slightly cosy feel it had 10 years ago) whereas Amazons' marketplace can be a scary, bleak place sometimes.

In my eyes, when you're buying records from overseas, you can NEVER have Too Much Information..!!

I must give honourable mention to 5.1 Marketing's Larry Klenin, who I've bought quite a bit of stuff from over the years, always packs discs very well indeed! in fact, among the best sellers from the USA in my experience. i'd rather pay more for a new disc and be sure it arrives in one piece!

In Germany Amazon has a guarantee called A-Z. It helps you to get your money back if you got junk.
But you can only use it 5 times in your whole accounts life. If you are a heavy marketplace customer you reach the limit soon. After that I always have to complain and ask for manual handling - what they do... Oh yes, I can create a new account with 5 new attempts. I'm already in my third reincarnation :)
To my knowledge there is also such limit for PayPal and purchaser protection. But so far I did not reach that.

You are right, on eBay the description is often better, I look for auctions with own photos and the feedback system is much more important than on Amazon = more positive experience - but Amazon is often cheaper.

Markus

Jonatha Brooke - Steady Pull - DVD-A (88.2/24 5.1 & 176.4/24 Stereo - its a "flipper" disc - DVD-A on one side - DVD-V on the other)

In Germany Amazon has a guarantee called A-Z. It helps you to get your money back if you got junk.
But you can only use it 5 times in your whole accounts life. If you are a heavy marketplace customer you reach the limit soon. After that I always have to complain and ask for manual handling - what they do... Oh yes, I can create a new account with 5 new attempts. I'm already in my third reincarnation :)
To my knowledge there is also such limit for PayPal and purchaser protection. But so far I did not reach that.

You are right, on eBay the description is often better, I look for auctions with own photos and the feedback system is much more important than on Amazon = more positive experience - but Amazon is often cheaper.

Markus

really!? what's the point of that A-Z feature on Amazon if you only get 5 appeals with it!? Crazy!

the biggest problem I've ever had with eBay was buying a games console years ago.
it arrived, faulty, so I sent it back via registered & insured mail at my own expense.
the seller maintained they never received it.
the post office wouldn't pay up as they insisted it had been delivered..
long story short I just ran out of patience and (stupidly) let it go.. hundreds out of pocket.
it just all seemed too much hassle!

with CDs, DVDs, music etc though, the worst stuff that's happened on eBay has been the wrong thing being sent and in every case the seller has told me just to hang onto it and then sent me the correct item :)

really!? what's the point of that A-Z feature on Amazon if you only get 5 appeals with it!? Crazy!

the biggest problem I've ever had with eBay was buying a games console years ago.
it arrived, faulty, so I sent it back via registered & insured mail at my own expense.
the seller maintained they never received it.
the post office wouldn't pay up as they insisted it had been delivered..
long story short I just ran out of patience and (stupidly) let it go.. hundreds out of pocket.
it just all seemed too much hassle!

with CDs, DVDs, music etc though, the worst stuff that's happened on eBay has been the wrong thing being sent and in every case the seller has told me just to hang onto it and then sent me the correct item :)

****more derail alert*****

Well, the worst experiences have been with ebay for me (although the good ones have outnumbered them, the bad ones are really head shaking)
-a guy selling me a "CD-Video" of "Exit stage left" (before they were officially rereleased)-it was a CD-R, I played nice , but he wanted me to send it back and have me pay for the return S&H...so I got in touch with Rush management(sent them what he had sent me)-had him busted from ebay and got a cool 2112 shirt AND the "Replay" triple DVD set as a reward! (It's not like I haven't given the Rush boys a LOT of money during my lifetime-so it's good getting something back!)
-a woman who sold me Aerosmith's "GYW" and "Rocks" in SQ , NM according to her....the auctions were 2 weeks apart and after the 1st one ended I wrote to her I was bidding on the 2nd one to which she said it was fine at first , but then she forgot her meds or something cause a few days later she wrote to me "Shut up and pay me!!"(LITERALLY!). She actually sent me the LPs, only to find that one of the "NM" LPs (GYW) had a 3 inch gouge on side B. Long story short, I opened a dispute, she called me a "m*therf*cker" on an email, I promptly resent this email to ebay with the full header and she got kicked out of ebay AND I got my money back....

With amazon UK, it was with Goldfrapp's "Black Cherry" LP. Got the 1st copy, which was VERY noisy in the first song of both sides, sent it back, got a 2nd copy (with the same problem, although not as bad), but I had to ASK them (cost me a bit too) for the S&H refund cause it wasn't MY fault-they had this attitude of , well "we're doing you a FAVOR by paying you the S&H charges"...Geez!!!

****end of derail******

****more derail alert*****

Well, the worst experiences have been with ebay for me (although the good ones have outnumbered them, the bad ones are really head shaking)
-a guy selling me a "CD-Video" of "Exit stage left" (before they were officially rereleased)-it was a CD-R, I played nice , but he wanted me to send it back and have me pay for the return S&H...so I got in touch with Rush management(sent them what he had sent me)-had him busted from ebay and got a cool 2112 shirt AND the "Replay" triple DVD set as a reward! (It's not like I haven't given the Rush boys a LOT of money during my lifetime-so it's good getting something back!)
-a woman who sold me Aerosmith's "GYW" and "Rocks" in SQ , NM according to her....the auctions were 2 weeks apart and after the 1st one ended I wrote to her I was bidding on the 2nd one to which she said it was fine at first , but then she forgot her meds or something cause a few days later she wrote to me "Shut up and pay me!!"(LITERALLY!). She actually sent me the LPs, only to find that one of the "NM" LPs (GYW) had a 3 inch gouge on side B. Long story short, I opened a dispute, she called me a "m*therf*cker" on an email, I promptly resent this email to ebay with the full header and she got kicked out of ebay AND I got my money back....

With amazon UK, it was with Goldfrapp's "Black Cherry" LP. Got the 1st copy, which was VERY noisy in the first song of both sides, sent it back, got a 2nd copy (with the same problem, although not as bad), but I had to ASK them (cost me a bit too) for the S&H refund cause it wasn't MY fault-they had this attitude of , well "we're doing you a FAVOR by paying you the S&H charges"...Geez!!!

****end of derail******

bloody HELL!! maybe I got off lightly with just one complete disaster on eBay after all..!? I'm so sorry to hear of all the b-s you've been through on there, Kap'n. Not least all the counterfeit stuff, sheesh! :(

Jonatha Brooke - Steady Pull - DVD-A (88.2/24 5.1 & 176.4/24 Stereo - its a "flipper" disc - DVD-A on one side - DVD-V on the other)

Sounds like as nice and cheap one. I just ordered a used copy for EUR 0.38 + s/h on Amazon. Let's hope it is the flipper and not a redbook. The description and the photo on Amazon.de is clearly for a flipper.

Markus

I just checked and "A-to-z Safe Buying Guarantee" is also available on Amazon.co.uk. It just seems to be less present.

In Germany s/h for CDs in the Marketplace is always EUR 3. If a vendor of is in the US he has no chance to send with tracking. Even inside of Germany a registered letter costs at least EUR 3.05. Since most vendors calculate s/h as part of the profit nearly no CD is send with tracking.

If I would be a bad guy I always could complain not getting my goods. Since there is no tracking the guarantee would always be in my favor and give me back my money. So I understand that there has to be some protection against abuse in favor of the vendors. But something like 2% of all purchases (at least 3 for new customers) in a year would be much more realistic. Question: Have you every tried to discuss with Amazon? Keep your breath or talk to your hand :)

Markus

Sounds like as nice and cheap one. I just ordered a used copy for EUR 0.38 + s/h on Amazon. Let's hope it is the flipper and not a redbook. The description and the photo on Amazon.de is clearly for a flipper.

Markus

I got it for $3.75 new... FYI - It was in a standard DVD case not a DVD-A Super Jewel (or whatever you call them)...

Bob Dylan - Love And Theft (SACD)
John Mayer - Heavier Things (DD-DVD)
Alicia Keys - Songs In A Minor (DVD-A)
Sonia Dada - Test Pattern (DD-DVD)

Emma Shapplin- Etterna (DVD-A)
K.D. Lang - Invincible Summer (DVD-A)
Derek And The Dominios - Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs (SACD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back