Requesting Updates for the Popular Quad Discography

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone translate Russian?
Billboard Reported on Oct. 15, 1977 that the Russian Melodiya label was releasing 2 quad classical albums and a quad album by Ariel, a contemporary rock group.

The bands website mentions that the album "Russian Pictures" were recorded for the first time in the system suraund with some of our classics - but it did not stick ... left "stereo". The album can be downloaded as a mp3 in a RAR file
http://www.yarushin.com/music/#russkie-kartinki

All I can find is a photo of the album cover. I wonder if it mentions anything about surround, what system it used like QS and catalog number
http://wanderer-records.com/images/w13441.jpg

Can someone translate Russian?
Billboard Reported on Oct. 15, 1977 that the Russian Melodiya label was releasing 2 quad classical albums and a quad album by Ariel, a contemporary rock group.

The bands website mentions that the album "Russian Pictures" were recorded for the first time in the system suraund with some of our classics - but it did not stick ... left "stereo". The album can be downloaded as a mp3 in a RAR file
http://www.yarushin.com/music/#russkie-kartinki

All I can find is a photo of the album cover. I wonder if it mentions anything about surround, what system it used like QS and catalog number
http://wanderer-records.com/images/w13441.jpg

What I can tell you about the Melodiya quad records in question is that that they use what they called the "ABC" matrix. The parameters have never really been published, as far as I know, and it may be something akin to SQ or QS. I've seen a test/demo record on Ebay that showed on the front cover their prescribed speaker layout. When I tried to order a copy, it had already sold. How this would sound through QS or SQ decoders, I can't say. I'd be curious to know.

I also went to the page where the albums could be downloaded. If you use Google Chrome, as I do, the page translated. There's no mention of the album being in anything other than stereo.

Thank you Mark for all you do. Your site is quite possibly the most important for collector reference.

Also, didn't ABC Records use QS? ABC/Impulse/etc.

I have a Melodiya quad album released on American Angel and it is identified as SQ. Russian folk music recorded in Russia. But, was it recorded in 4 channels there, then the tape sent to Angel where it was run thru an SQ encoder? Who knows?
Actually looking at the album it gets wilder. This is The Volga Flows On. USSR Melodiya/ Angel SR-40269. On the back cover it says recorded by Melodiya in the USSR.
BUT recording producer and engineer listed have English names.
Next looking at the record label it is quite beautiful with a picture of the Kremlin above a red horizon with MELODIYA in large letters and an old fashioned flying disk Angel symbol. The number is SRQ-1-40269. At the bottom of the label it says recorded in England 1976 EMI Records Limited. The matrix number on the run out omits the Q in the number. Oh yes Stalin is waving from an onion dome window....just kidding.
So what is the story here?

I have a Melodiya quad album released on American Angel and it is identified as SQ. Russian folk music recorded in Russia. But, was it recorded in 4 channels there, then the tape sent to Angel where it was run thru an SQ encoder? Who knows?
Actually looking at the album it gets wilder. This is The Volga Flows On. USSR Melodiya/ Angel SR-40269. On the back cover it says recorded by Melodiya in the USSR.
BUT recording producer and engineer listed have English names.
Next looking at the record label it is quite beautiful with a picture of the Kremlin above a red horizon with MELODIYA in large letters and an old fashioned flying disk Angel symbol. The number is SRQ-1-40269. At the bottom of the label it says recorded in England 1976 EMI Records Limited. The matrix number on the run out omits the Q in the number. Oh yes Stalin is waving from an onion dome window....just kidding.
So what is the story here?

Hopefully they sent the multi masters to the UK to be mixed and released by Angel and they decided to make a quad for the UK/International audience. Sounds really cool.

What I can tell you about the Melodiya quad records in question is that that they use what they called the "ABC" matrix.
I also went to the page where the albums could be downloaded. If you use Google Chrome, as I do, the page translated. There's no mention of the album being in anything other than stereo.

Being that the article was published in late '77 I think it predates the ABC matrix.

The website stets "were recorded for the first time in the system suraund with some of our classics - but it did not stick ... left "stereo"
I took that the album was in surround but the format did not stick. Do not understand the statement "....left stereo" maybe that pertains to the album not being released in quad even though it was recorded in surround.

Venture On Stage '73.jpgVenture On Stage '73 - 2.jpgVenture On Stage '73 - 3.jpghttp://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k152300700

Just found this one that is not listed.

Thanks Circular Vibes for the post. This title was included in the last update I did in June but I do appreciate the effort, nice looking copy of the album. I sure wish folks who post at Yahoo auctions would provide more info on the titles as sometimes you cannot read label and number of the photos.

I sure wish folks who post at Yahoo auctions would provide more info on the titles as sometimes you cannot read label and number of the photos.

I agree Mark, and I wish Japanese translated well with Google Translate. I won't bid on anything I can't fully understand. Unless it is ridiculously cheap.

Thanks for catching that post. That one is missing from the discography.
The link you provided appears to have a SQ logo above the #4 on the left, a little hard to make out on the photo though.
I have never been able to identify the label but the OBI looks the same as one i saw on the soundtrack to Sunset Sunrise which I thought was on the Cine Disc label.

Mark,

I have this info on SQ DISCS from an ad in High Fidelity Mag Dec 71

Page 1 is Sony, page 2 , SQ DISCS to come. I thought you might want to incude this in your "announced but never released" for the AMPEX discs anyway.Two on that Ampex disc list were of course released.20150715_202535.jpg20150715_202543.jpg20150715_202608.jpg20150715_202617.jpg

Thanks fizzywiggs41 for bringing this up. I have seen the ad for years and neglected to add those to the not released list. I have saved this info in order to include during the next update

Thanks fizzywiggs41 for bringing this up. I have seen the ad for years and neglected to add those to the not released list. I have saved this info in order to include during the next update
Your most welcome, Mark.I derived numbers from the discs via Scwann's,but the actual quad listing I could only guess at from the Schwann stereo disc #'s.

Anyway, I have more Quad Sleuth info to come, a sort of along the lines of your Gaynor QS (excellent sleuth job btw).I'm still looking it over so I will post my find later.

thanx-derek

Back