Requesting Updates for the Popular Quad Discography

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BGOCD1129 - John Lee Hooker - "Born in Mississippi, Raised up in Tennessee"/"Kabuki Wuki" (2 CD reissue from 2013) appears to retain the QS encoding. Original liner notes for both albums are included and both mention the compatible quad mixes. My ears say they both decode very nicely with the first title often having some obviously discrete activity.

http://www.amazon.com/Kabuki-Wuki-Born-Mississippi-Raised/dp/B00EP3UFXK

Last edited:
Mark, fwiw

This list of ABC/COMMAND titles comes from SANSUI'S trade info "The Four Channel Scene" March 75.

Of note are the two "announced but never released" Three Dog Night" titles in QS ; DOG STYLE and JOY TO THE WORLD, GREATEST HITS.

20150819_105356.jpg20150819_105505.jpg20150819_105517.jpg

Thanks fizzywiggs41. I will add that one to the NOT Released list. That could have been a great album.
It would be great if we could get a scan of the Tommy Rocks in QS. The whole mystery of it being quad over the years always intrigues me.

Thanks fizzywiggs41. I will add that one to the NOT Released list. That could have been a great album.
It would be great if we could get a scan of the Tommy Rocks in QS. The whole mystery of it being quad over the years always intrigues me.

Okay, done!

I started a TOMMY SOUNDTRACK THREAD.

fizzle

Is this the Tommy that you guys are referencing? I hope I didn't buy a fake quad. It says QS on the Obi.

http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/x436737694

Tommy.jpgTommy 2.jpg

Used record
MP-9492/3
jacket: EX-
record quality: EX
range: about average as used goods. Liner: average degree secondhand goods as.
Docket number (Y-6)
■ record quality of the used record (condition) for the notation
record quality, representation of the jacket has been expressed in detail in the self-introduction column.
On the check, please tender.

Is this the Tommy that you guys are referencing? I hope I didn't buy a fake quad. It says QS on the Obi.

The Japan OBI is the only place QS is identified and you have to wonder why. A large majority of quad collectors do not believe it is encoded. I have not listened to it in years so won't add any judgement but have taken the majority rules opinion and moved it to the NOT quad list.

I have a copy of this LP I think I brought it
from The USA years ago it has a QS sticker on it
But when you hear it against the other QS copy it is just stereo
Sorry
Ron

Here is a link to my latest attempt to update the Popular Discography. A lot of these updates consist of items I have known about for years but I waited until I could verify for myself. For those folks that have the time and interest I would appreciate your review and comments as my eyes hurt at this point and sometimes I can't see the forest though the trees. Thanks for the help.

http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quaddisc/quadpall-UPDATE.htm

Thanks Mark for compiling all the info, I've been curious about a title I swear was a Q8 release and haven't found anything to verifying its existence.
Even looking at the never released list no dice, so I'm stumped or crazy, it was a cartridge to plug in when showing off the quad sound (73-74). Montrose's "Bad Motor Scooter" the sounds at the end rotated around all 4 Co-Axial speakers, sounding much like Karn Evil 9. Sold the deck with the car and then my mother sold all cartridges Q8's/Stereo, 45's, LP's, Hot Wheels, Matchbox and everything else I collected when living under her rules until 17.
The other rule about possession 9/10's, found out too late. I was raising a family and when I asked about my stuff it was already garage sales away. So no way to prove I had it as a Q8 instead of just stereo always wondered....:rolleyes: all those un opened red wall tire cars......?

Thanks Mark for compiling all the info, I've been curious about a title I swear was a Q8 release and haven't found anything to verifying its existence.
Even looking at the never released list no dice, so I'm stumped or crazy, it was a cartridge to plug in when showing off the quad sound (73-74). Montrose's "Bad Motor Scooter" the sounds at the end rotated around all 4 Co-Axial speakers, sounding much like Karn Evil 9. Sold the deck with the car and then my mother sold all cartridges Q8's/Stereo, 45's, LP's, Hot Wheels, Matchbox and everything else I collected when living under her rules until 17.

Well if it did have a Montrose track on it I would want one of those! I am not aware of a demo that had a Montrose track even covered by another band. I would put this type of demonstration tape on the ANTHOLOGIES/SAMPLERS/TEST/SOUND EFFECTS discography at http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quaddisc/quadsamp.htm

It is amazing the amount of different sampler Q8's out their so anything is possible but I doubt by the original artist in this case. I have a bunch of updates to add, do you recall what it looked like or what equipment it was packaged with?

I never heard of this one til somebody sent me the DVD-A the other day sourced from a 1977 Japanese CD-4 white label test pressing of David Cassidy called Shooting Star - which contains selected tracks from.

The Higher They Climb (1975)
Home Is Where the Heart Is (1976)
Getting It in the Street (1977)

I pulled the stereo versions of the tracks up on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGROya7Fc_w and even there you can tell it was arranged to show off quad - especially with the strings and guitars - because it sounds exactly like my Japanese CD-4 of Mama Cass's `The Road Ain't Noplace for a Lady' which is also not in the discography to my knowledge (or Larry Clifton's original either) - and it sounds just like my CD-4 of Colors of the Day.

The only difference I can tell between the stereo mix and the DVD-A mix is that the backup singers are split left and right and there's lots of effect returns from the electric guitar and harmonica in the rear.

Front seems to be panned a little harder left and right than the stereo mix.

Pretty sure it's not an upmix - who would care about remixing a former teen itol whose record didn't even catch the Bubbling Under in the US and only got Top 20 in the UK (which only had SQ) and South Africa (which didn't have anything).

Hi ndiamone. I have never heard of these titles being quad. Curious the David Cassidy being CD-4 since as I am aware he was on Bell records in the US and CBS/Sony in Japan that released vinyl in the SQ Format.
Mama Cass being on ABC/Dunhill in the US which supported QS makes me wonder also about one of her titles on CD-4.
But who knows at this point, do you have any photos?

who would care about remixing a former teen itol whose record didn't even catch the Bubbling Under in the US and only got Top 20 in the UK (which only had SQ) and South Africa (which didn't have anything).[/QUOTE]

not really true that the uk only had SQ, Pye/Nixa released in QS as did Nimbus before they went to UHJ, plus there were a couple of small labels that released in QS. And of course there were the UK CD-4 releases by WEA

Here is a link to my latest attempt to update the Popular Discography. A lot of these updates consist of items I have known about for years but I waited until I could verify for myself. For those folks that have the time and interest I would appreciate your review and comments as my eyes hurt at this point and sometimes I can't see the forest though the trees. Thanks for the help.

http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quaddisc/quadpall-UPDATE.htm

OOPS - This link is 404 with a gator!

Mark,

I have this info on SQ DISCS from an ad in High Fidelity Mag Dec 71

Page 1 is Sony, page 2 , SQ DISCS to come. I thought you might want to incude this in your "announced but never released" for the AMPEX discs anyway.Two on that Ampex disc list were of course released.View attachment 20055View attachment 20056View attachment 20057View attachment 20058

Does anyone know of the existence of Classic Film Themes (Stratta/Rome Philharmonic). Ampex Q-10129 (SQ)?
I have the Q8 but do not recall ever seeing the LP version and wondered if it should be moved to the not released list

Back