Requesting Updates for the Popular Quad Discography

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
77, huh ? I originally thought 78, myself but it would seem KBFH issued quad reels up to Feb 1980 . Listings here-
http://www.eclipse67.com/kbi.htm
As to that BOC recording the evidence is somewhat lacking. Unless it's a rebroadcast from an earlier show , and unless it's
encoded , it surely can't be considered .
thought I'd toss it up for comments.
I don't know if the link to that web page is from the same person who posted a while back that KBFH was issue on 4 channel discrete quad reels and then dropped off after a lot of folks questioned the existence of Q4 KBFH but I am unaware of any KBFH quad after '77 and the possibility of one broadcast in '78 which all were sent to stations on 2-track SQ encoded reels. Any Q4 reels were only privately traded.

I don't know if the link to that web page is from the same person who posted a while back that KBFH was issue on 4 channel discrete quad reels and then dropped off after a lot of folks questioned the existence of Q4 KBFH but I am unaware of any KBFH quad after '77 and the possibility of one broadcast in '78 which all were sent to stations on 2-track SQ encoded reels. Any Q4 reels were only privately traded.

That would be the comprehensive listings via QQ member Mrfloydin who has informed me he has yet to find an SQ encoded reel in his collection. He has ONLY uncovered all Q4 DISCRETE.

Mark,

thought you might find this tidbit interesting. Don't know if you still want a quad 45rpm find but this is one on CYMA records.
Not familiar with that label, myself.

View attachment 31921

Whoops.

20180125_162226.jpg

That would be the comprehensive listings via QQ member Mrfloydin who has informed me he has yet to find an SQ encoded reel in his collection. He has ONLY uncovered all Q4 DISCRETE.
KBFH where on 2 track reels SQ encoded. Played on a 1/4" track reel might be why he thinks they are 4 channel. Everyone I have ever seen or owned was SQ 2-track.
Why would the announcer indicate they were SQ encoded at the intro to each show and what would be the benefit of issuing a discrete 4 channel reel when discrete FM was not approved by the FCC until 1980?
I do not doubt that copies of the discrete recordings have made it into collections but they were not issued thru the subscription process to radio stations.
It would be wonderful if it is true that he shares that with everyone and I would love to be proven wrong in the process. See if you can give him a nudge to do so

KBFH where on 2 track reels SQ encoded. Played on a 1/4" track reel might be why he thinks they are 4 channel. Everyone I have ever seen or owned was SQ 2-track.
Why would the announcer indicate they were SQ encoded at the intro to each show and what would be the benefit of issuing a discrete 4 channel reel when discrete FM was not approved by the FCC until 1980?
I do not doubt that copies of the discrete recordings have made it into collections but they were not issued thru the subscription process to radio stations.
It would be wonderful if it is true that he shares that with everyone and I would love to be proven wrong in the process. See if you can give him a nudge to do so

I have approximately 8 different era KBFH Concert conversions and none of those state at the intro they are SQ encoded .They come from approx. 3 or 4 different members of this forum btw.

They (some anyway ) reference quadraphonic and sponsor , though.

Do I think there are indeed SQ encoded tapes.?...yes. But I also believe there are Discrete masters until someone can correctly dispell otherwise .

You can however contact the individual (via his site ) which I've already supplied previously. And that goes for anyone on QQ for that matter .

Here's the link to the KBFH controversy which I most definitely got involved in to help refresh our fleeting memories. It was some time ago so I though it might provide adequate answers to questions , or at the very least stimulate interest .

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?19975-King-Biscuit-Flower-Hour/page2

Thanks for the post I am aware of the following

TANDEN HEYES -
* Here Comes That Song Again B/W Hanna Playin' On My Head. Cyma
75-1003 (QS45)

JACK KUSHER -
* Fire Island Ferry B/W Suzie Sunshine. Cyma 75-1004 (QS45)

But have not seen the the Sandra Brown or John Standish

Here's a couple of pics of the John Standish single I got from eBay a while back. It's also listed on 45cat.com. Oddly enough, it's currently showing on eBay in a stereo version, which is odd considering the hype in that press clipping posted earlier.

CYMA 75-1001[1].jpgCYMA 75-1001[2].jpg

MINOR minor FIXES to QR section:

1. SYL JOHNSON -
Back for a Taste of Love. Hi H-12081 (QR)
should be
SYL JOHNSON -
Back for a Taste of Your Love. Hi H-12081 (QR)

2. There is no B separator between A & B artist names.

3. There is no O separator between N & O artist names.
The rest of the alphabetical separators are intact.

4. RONNIE ALDRICH quad reel section should not include all of the Q8 catalog #s?

5. THE GUESS WHO quad reel section should not include these #s?
Best Vol. 2. RCA APD1-0269 (CD4), APT1-0269 (Q8)

6. SAMMY KAYE quad reel section should not include this #?
Swing & Sway with Sammy Kay. Project 3 PR 5065/LLP QD-263 (QSEP)
{Includes-Everything Is Beautiful; We've Only Just Begun; For The Good Times;
I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing; You Got Me Crying}

Last edited:
MINOR minor FIXES to QR section:

1. SYL JOHNSON -
Back for a Taste of Love. Hi H-12081 (QR)
should be
SYL JOHNSON -
Back for a Taste of Your Love. Hi H-12081 (QR)

2. There is no B separator between A & B artist names.

3. There is no O separator between N & O artist names.
The rest of the alphabetical separators are intact.

4. RONNIE ALDRICH quad reel section should not include all of the Q8 catalog #s?

5. THE GUESS WHO quad reel section should not include these #s?
Best Vol. 2. RCA APD1-0269 (CD4), APT1-0269 (Q8)

6. SAMMY KAYE quad reel section should not include this #?
Swing & Sway with Sammy Kay. Project 3 PR 5065/LLP QD-263 (QSEP)
{Includes-Everything Is Beautiful; We've Only Just Begun; For The Good Times;
I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing; You Got Me Crying}

Thanks so much for the corrections. I always start with the update of all formats and then save the file to another and manually delete the other formats not to be included, how archaic, prone to errors. I do appreciate it and will make these minor changes ASAP.

Xavier Cugat and his Orchestra
Birdree Record (also says Columbia on the back) PLS-8005
33 1/3rpm 7" EP
QS Encoded
Japan

A: Begin The Beguine / Oye Como Va
B: Cumana / La Bikina

View attachment 33534View attachment 33535
Thanks Steelydave, that is one I have not seen before. Glad to see someone on that label that I know of and have listened too.

Came across this one recently and didn't see it listed anywhere, or even mentioned on QQ..

Vera Lynn 'Favourite Sacred Songs'
EMI/Columbia Q4-SCX 6530
33 1/3rpm LP
SQ Encoded
UK, 1972
/QUOTE]
There be one I have not seen. Rather Odd that we had not seen this one until now. You would think a big name artist title like that would be advertised and plentiful. Thanks Steelydave

Last edited:
Evening, I am reviewing a massive archive on HDD where catalog #s of sources are in the album file titles; just came across CROCE, JIM - YOU DON'T MESS AROUND WITH JIM CQT-40006 which I didn't see listed. Catalog # is in series with the Canadian Q8 of Life & Times you have listed.

Evening, I am reviewing a massive archive on HDD where catalog #s of sources are in the album file titles; just came across CROCE, JIM - YOU DON'T MESS AROUND WITH JIM CQT-40006 which I didn't see listed. Catalog # is in series with the Canadian Q8 of Life & Times you have listed.
Thanks for catching that. I appreciate it.

Back