Requesting Updates for the Popular Quad Discography

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. REO Speedwagon
2. This time we mean it
3. Epic
4. 33338
5. Q8/SQ
6. DQ8/LP
8. USA

Erroneously listed as CAQ-34682, Catalog number is actually CAQ-33338

I've never seen any evidence of anything other than Tyranny & Mutation and Secret Treaties either.

I think she's just messin' with us.

leevitalone1 said:
ahh - I wouldn't misjudge QL, she has come up with some real good obscure shit! Plus, she KNOWS her stuff. Inside-out!

She likes messing with people too :)

And it seems highly unlikely that a BOC quad title would be overlooked by everyone in the quad and BOC communities.

It's not like we are talking about something like Bubba and the Jug Band's 4 Channel Adventure

Bubba and the Jug Band's 4 Channel Adventure? I'd like to find a copy of that! I'll start with ebay and amazon, then search google if necessary.

A jug band would be awesome in quad :D

A jug band would be awesome in quad :D

A serious response to a thread that has taken a turn towards humor, but I think this qualifies:

THE CAPTAIN MATCHBOX WHOOPEE BAND -
Smoke Dreams. ESP Discs ESP-3009 (DY)

...as I recall, it ain't too bad. There are probably others...

Mark Z

OMG, What have I started!
I do not want to fart on any contributions to the discography, but the Whoopee band has already passed through the discography!
Thanks for everyone's sense of humor and remember this is the place to correct, challenge and update information in the discography that has been compiled for 35 years. Keep the information coming! as for the BOC title, well............More Cowbell!

I know Mark, that's where I copied the listing from! Guess I should have made that more obvious.

It has been a while since I've checked to see if I have anything new to add to the list, let me give it a look-see...

Mark Z

On a serious note, Mark, I am curious as to what evidence there is for Mary Travers Mary being listed as EV-4. I'm not disputing it per-se, I just can't find any documentation of conversation on the subject.

And thank you so much for maintaining the discography. I use it on a very regular basis and it has helped more than anything else with my quad media collecting.

On a serious note, Mark, I am curious as to what evidence there is for Mary Travers Mary being listed as EV-4. I'm not disputing it per-se, I just can't find any documentation of conversation on the subject.

And thank you so much for maintaining the discography. I use it on a very regular basis and it has helped more than anything else with my quad media collecting.

I have the album, and it sounds great when played through an EV or QS decoder. There's nothing on the record or cover that says it's encoded, but this was when Warner Bros. was dabbling in quad to see which direction they were going in. They originally planned to settle on QS until they were talked into going CD-4.

jaybird100 said:
I have the album, and it sounds great when played through an EV or QS decoder. There's nothing on the record or cover that says it's encoded, but this was when Warner Bros. was dabbling in quad to see which direction they were going in. They originally planned to settle on QS until they were talked into going CD-4.

It's just that no where can I find any discussion about this album being in quad. With a lot of titles you can find discussion about it being quad or not, and the evidence that it is quad, such as an interview with the engineer or something. There seems to be little documentation online other than the fact that it is on the discography. Is the mix so sharp in EV-4 that its quadness is undisputable?

Also I wonder why they didn't do the Peter and Paul albums in EV-4 too then. I'm going to have to pick up a copy and run it through my EV-4 decoder.

MARY TRAVERS - Mary. Warner Brothers WS-1907 (EV) was first listed in Quad Incorporated, the first edition and copyrighted in 1979.
The album was released in 1971. The first and second edition of Quad Inc. was used as one of the basis to start the Quad discography.

I can do not recall any publications indicating that it was mixed while using the benefits of a Hafler circuit like the Beach Boys-Surfs Up.
I assumed at the time that the contributors of Quad Incorporated had good reason for the listing since the accuracy of the large number
of titles has been almost 100 percent.

I do believe that the best confirmation of quad encoding is talking with the engineer which I have done in the past on some titles in the
Ambisonic discography. Listening through a decoder can be misleading especially recordings from the '70's when using panning to more
extremes than what is used today has lead to some surround folks to suspect something that decodes good must be surround encoded
when in fact it was just the mix and the more you pan an instrument the farther back it goes to the rear speakers when decoded.

This is a good case for why I have always requested feed back so information that may be misleading can be corrected. For instance
their are some other titles with no mention of quad that I have always questioned, Climax Blues- Stamp album comes to mind.

After some time if no one can come up with some evidence I can amend the listing to include the suspicion.

Larry Clifton, the author of the Quad Incorporated listings and newsletter used to post here back at the start of QQ. However, we haven't heard from him in quite some time.

His website "Multichannel Surround Shop" is still there, so I wonder if he is?

Back