Requesting Updates for the Popular Quad Discography

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nick Perugini was also a contributor and still has an active site at http://home.dejazzd.com/njperugini/index.htm along with Brian Moura. I recall Brain has been here but am unaware of Nick participating. I have not conversed with Nick or Larry in years.

Nick Perugini is "Quad First": https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/member.php?1269-Quad-First

Brian Moura is "bmoura": https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/member.php?18-bmoura

Larry Clifton is "larryclifton": https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/member.php?42-larryclifton

I am curious why a number of Pye UK/Canadian 4D releases are not in the list. I picked up Wigwam by Sounds Orchestral (NSPL 41003) today. It says Pye 4D Stereo, but doesn't list quad anywhere. I first looked in the quad discography,then went to Dreaming Spires where there is a list of Pye (mostly single inventory QS) quads listed that aren't in the quad discography. To be objective, I listened to it and got very little action in the rears on my 7001, but can't see Pye putting out dual inventory of the title. I am guessing that the numbers are the same for Canadian and UK releases. Any input would be welcome!
Thanks,
Matthew

I was under the impression that all Pye "4D" series records were QS-encoded, regardless of whether or not it was stated on the album cover. It seems to be one of the earlier releases, and it's possible they weren't mentioning it until they knew whether or not it would fly. The Pye "4D" albums I own have great quad separation in QS or even Dolby Pro Logic II. Pye never did dual inventory on these albums, but they didn't need to. I still wonder why, since they had a great stable of pop and rock artists at that time, they didn't release any of their albums in quad.

I was under the assumption that it was quad too. That is why I bought it. I was really disappointed that there was almost no rear info at all. I will have to try to find others to see if there is a difference.

I was under the impression that all Pye "4D" series records were QS-encoded, regardless of whether or not it was stated on the album cover. It seems to be one of the earlier releases, and it's possible they weren't mentioning it until they knew whether or not it would fly. The Pye "4D" albums I own have great quad separation in QS or even Dolby Pro Logic II. Pye never did dual inventory on these albums, but they didn't need to. I still wonder why, since they had a great stable of pop and rock artists at that time, they didn't release any of their albums in quad.

Well, yes...can you imagine a great British soul gem like Sweet Sensation's "Sad Sweet Dreamer" (1974) in quad? If it's out there I missed it...and then there was that "Black Superman/Muhammad Ali" 45 that was pretty cool, too. The US Pye label coulda been an interesting contender if they'd had some more hits (and think how long it took the company to establish its own label here, where it had been in Canada for so long).

ED :)

I think just about all The PYE 4D series
are Quad but only these LPs not everything else
I have a good number of them
But I have 1 or 2 that maybe just a hall effect
and no rear channel action

The PYE quad recordings listed in the discography's list quad either on the cover or disc. The titles that I understand that do not list quad on the UK issue are the following. I have added other countries that do list quad.

LONDON POPS ORCHESTRA Hits Philharmonic Vol. 3 NSPL 41002
Sounds Orchestral 'Wigwam' (1971, NSPL 41003)
Rostal & Schaefer Peter, Paul & Pianos NSPL 41005
The City of Westminster String Band 'Home Loving Hits' (1971, NSPL 41006)
Rogero’s Brazilian Brass Musica Da Noite NSPL 41007
Victor Silvestor’s Strings Music Of Tchaikovsky NSPL 41008
Geoffrey Brand Melodies With Memories NSPL 41009
London Pops Orchestra 'Hits Philharmonic Volume 4' (1971, NSPL 41011)
John MacLeod 'A String Bag Of Bones' (1971, NSPL 41012), ISSUED AS Pye QA-5-Y (QS) [Japan]
Tony Hatch & His Orchestra 'What The World Needs Now' (1971, NSPL 41014), ISSUED AS Pye QPS-5004 (QS) [Japan]
The Denis Lopez Latin Sound 'Caballero' (1971, NSPL 41015), ISSUED AS Pye QA-2-Y (QS) [Japan]
Barbara Moore & British Quadraphonic Brass Musical Carousel NSPL 41016
Sounds Orchestral You've Got a Friend NSPL 41017
City Of Westminster String Band Knock Three Times And More NSPL 41018
The Button Down Brass 'Everbody's Talking 'Bout' (1971, NSPL 41020)
The Button Down Brass 'I Believe In Music' (1973, NSPL 41021), ISSUED AS Astor QUAD 1023 (QS) [Australia]
Acker Bilk His Clarinet and Strings - Some of My Favorite Things NSPL 41022, ISSUED AS QUAD-1025 (QS) [Canada], Astor QUAD 1016 (QS) [Australia]
The Terry Cavendish Orchestra 'All In An Afternoon's Work' (1973, NSPL 41023)
The Harry Roche Constellation 'Spiral' (1973, NSPL 41024)
The Alan Tew Orchestra 'World Instrumental Hits' (1973, NSPL 41025)
Sounds Orchestral 'Clouds' (1974, NSPL 41026)
The Ray Davies Orchestra 'Benny & The Duke' (1974, NSPL 41027), ISSUED AS Pye QUAD 1026
Cyril Stapleton The Stapleton Collection NSPL 41028, ISSUED AS Pye QUAD 1024
Tony Hatch Orchestra Hit The Road To Themeland NSPL 41029, ISSUED AS Astor QUAD 1025 (QS) [Australia]
Alan Haven 'Organ Show' (1974, NSPL 41031), ISSUED AS QUAD 1028 (QS) [Canada], Astor QUAD 1028 (QS) [Australia]
Kenny Ball A Friend To You NSPL 41032
Synthesonic Sounds Ye Olde Moog NSPL 41033
Synthesonic Sounds 'Moog At The Movies' (1974, NSPL 41034)
The Alan Tew Orchestra 'Carnival' (1975, NSPL 41035)
Acker Bilk That's My Desire NSPL 41036
Eden Electronic Ensemble Play Joplin NSPL 41037
Alan Haven 'I'll Walk Beside You' (1974, NSPL 41040), ISSUED AS QUAD 1033 (QS)
Sounds Orchestral 'Love Me For A Reason' (1975, NSPL 41041)
Ken Moule The Wonderful Sound Of Hans Christian Andersen NSPL 41042
The Alyn Ainsworth Orchestra 'Big City Soul' (1975, NSPL 41043)
Alan Tew Orchestra To The One I Love NSPL 41044
Acker Bilk Serenade NSPL 41046 No, LATER ISSUED QUAD 1031 (QS) [Australia]
Vic Lewis & RPO Academy Award Winners & Other Hits NSPL 41050 No
Norrie Paramor Orchestra Classical Rhythm NSPLX 41058 No

Last edited:
Mark
I have nearly all of those LPs
I will check them out after Christmas
But I think from what I remember a lot of them are Quad
Ron

I have a text file that I last updated in 2003 of all the pye 4D listings I have seen in catalogs or digging thru records over the years. I have only listed the ones that mention quad on the cover in the discography.

Thanks Linda. I really appreciate the second set of eyes as that is not one I should have missed.
I also did my first moderator function by moving the post to the "Requesting Updates for the Popular Quad Discography" section. Woo Hoo!

To my knowledge, all US LP copies of Quincy Jones' Mellow Madness A&M QU-54526 were CD-4 (not SQ). Mine is CD-4:
m4vyiavJVW8NqpYwjKPtiwg.jpg

To my knowledge, all US LP copies of Quincy Jones' Mellow Madness A&M QU-54526 were CD-4 (not SQ). Mine is CD-4:

You are indeed correct. Thanks for catching that. I would copy and paste to save time and look where that got me. I will correct that during the next update

Let me be the first to thank you for a fine job, my friend! This listing has been long needed, since these titles are of interest only to the most diehard quad collectors, an 'out where the buses don't run' discography that I believe some of us will find most useful down the road, when these odd and (relatively rare) titles surface.

ED :)

Back