Requesting Updates for the Popular Quad Discography

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know of the existence of Classic Film Themes (Stratta/Rome Philharmonic). Ampex Q-10129 (SQ)?
I have the Q8 but do not recall ever seeing the LP version and wondered if it should be moved to the not released list

Hi. Mark Anderson

The only ref: I found was on Amazon I don't now if this is any help..

Vinyl Number of Discs: 1
Label: Ampex
ASIN: B01MY9CGQG

ddddd.jpg

Likes timbre4 liked this post

Thanks timbre4, I take it from your message and the thumbs up that I can move on second guessing myself and that the title was printed.
I am adding some titles to the not released list and needed to confirm that only two titles from the Ampex records quad catalog were issued on Vinyl. This one and the Purlie soundtrack

Mark,

As always I await your new updated listings. To me they're quite helpful and most informative .

I'm certain that speaks for many of us QQ'RS.

I'm hoping you've had plenty of time to view and scrutinize the listings (most with pics) of the recent aquistions by collectors on the matrix quad thread, cd quad, threads, CD-4, and tape, etc.

Here are some links if you haven't (but likely you have )

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?1776-Matrix-Quad-CD-s&p=342361#post342361

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?23548-RARE-QUAD-LP-S-TAPES-or-CD-S

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...t-MATRIX-LP-CD-Added-to-Your-Pile-SQ-QS-RM-EV

And there are some smaller threads contained as well.

Anyway thanks for your due diligence .:D

-Fizzy

Mark,
As always I await your new updated listings. To me they're quite helpful and most informative .
I'm certain that speaks for many of us QQ'RS.

I'm hoping you've had plenty of time to view and scrutinize the listings (most with pics) of the recent aquistions by collectors on the matrix quad thread, cd quad, threads, CD-4, and tape, etc.

Here are some links if you haven't (but likely you have )
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?1776-Matrix-Quad-CD-s&p=342361#post342361
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?23548-RARE-QUAD-LP-S-TAPES-or-CD-S
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...t-MATRIX-LP-CD-Added-to-Your-Pile-SQ-QS-RM-EV
And there are some smaller threads contained as well.

Anyway thanks for your due diligence .:D
-Fizzy

Thanks for the kudos, I am humbly honored.
And thanks for the links. I don't get on the site as much as I would like to but did see the rare quad and found a title that was not listed. The matrix CD has some new titles but I have to say that the quad CD list has always taken a back seat since it takes so much more investigation to confirm it is encoded. So I sit on the fence when it is not apparently obvious. I could certainly use some help with that list.
The added to your pile list I always enjoy but I have to wonder why we would want to post what was just added to our pile as in my case the wife might find out.
It sure is great to have another eye keeping a look out so thanks again

If there is anything I have posted or photo'd of my list/listings that require clarification...please feel free to PM me., I'll do my best to clarify.

(I know the QS Japanese list I photo'd is at best confusing,4 me 2)

Mark -

First and foremost, thank you so much for the discography. It's a fantastic resource. Thank you for all the work you put into it.

I have two additions regarding Frank Zappa.

Roxy & Elsewhere is listed in the "rumored" section. One Size Fits All is listed in the "never issued" section.

A while back, a friend of mine got to interview Joe Travers who is the curator of the Zappa vault. I got my friend to ask Joe about 5.1 & quad Zappa mixes. Joe had the following to say:

Frank's quad mixes and quadraphonic material that's in the vault, should all be prioritized for surround releases and should have been years ago...... I want to see Overnight Sensation, Roxy & Elsewhere and Apostrophe(') quad mixes made available to the consumer. Everyone thinks One Size Fits All was mixed in quad but it actually wasn't. Those were the three that were.

The interview can be heard on iTunes. It's a podcast called Zappacast. It's episode #30. This portion comes around the 2hr 50m mark.

Hope this helps.

Mark -

First and foremost, thank you so much for the discography. It's a fantastic resource. Thank you for all the work you put into it.

I have two additions regarding Frank Zappa.

Roxy & Elsewhere is listed in the "rumored" section. One Size Fits All is listed in the "never issued" section.

A while back, a friend of mine got to interview Joe Travers who is the curator of the Zappa vault. I got my friend to ask Joe about 5.1 & quad Zappa mixes. Joe had the following to say:

Frank's quad mixes and quadraphonic material that's in the vault, should all be prioritized for surround releases and should have been years ago...... I want to see Overnight Sensation, Roxy & Elsewhere and Apostrophe(') quad mixes made available to the consumer. Everyone thinks One Size Fits All was mixed in quad but it actually wasn't. Those were the three that were.

The interview can be heard on iTunes. It's a podcast called Zappacast. It's episode #30. This portion comes around the 2hr 50m mark.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and thanks for the info.
Just to let you know the never issued page refers to format listed and in this case the LP & Q8 that were issued catalog numbers were not released.
The rumors page refers to an add that reports an LP release and perhaps that should be moved to the never issued page as I recall the ad.

Mark
A Q8 Not on list
JVC QW 7011 Theme from Godfather (Soundtrack)
Has Al Martino singing

Mark
A Q8 Not on list
JVC QW 7011 Theme from Godfather (Soundtrack)
Has Al Martino singing

Thanks Ron, I have that one and thought it should go on the Movie/Cast Soundtrack page as it appears to be the same as the Japanese vinyl soundtrack - Godfather (Soundtrack). Paramount JVC CD4W-7014 (CD4) [Japan]
Godfather (Soundtrack). Paramount JVC CD4W-7014 (CD4) [Japan]a.JPG
Godfather (Soundtrack). Paramount JVC CD4W-7014 (CD4) [Japan]b.jpg

Godfather (Soundtrack). Paramount JVC QW-7011 (Q8) [Japan]
Godfather (Soundtrack). Paramount JVC QW-7011 (Q8) [Japan]A.jpg

It is interesting how closely the catalog number matches the Q8 below and strange that the Q8 does not match the number of the vinyl version
Film Studio Orchestra -Emmanuel, Earthquake and Other Screen Themes. JVC NQW-7011 (Q8) [Japan]
Film Studio Orchestra -Emmanuelle, Earthquake and Other Screen Themes. JVC NQW-7011 (Q8) [Japan].jpg

Hi Mark,

I did this thread about the NQW tapes a couple of years back - probably not a lot of 'new news' in it, but maybe interesting for people who are interested in Japanese quad.

I'd love to know if there are more tapes in the 'QW' series aside from the Godfather soundtrack. It seems weird to have one tape with a different catalog prefix, especially in Japan where they seemed to be very methodical and organized about naming and numbering things. I was always surprised that those two Glenn Miller 'String Of Pearls' albums that seem to be ubiquitous on CD-4 vinyl for example don't show up as Q8's - or haven't as far as I know.

Hi Mark,
I did this thread about the NQW tapes a couple of years back - probably not a lot of 'new news' in it, but maybe interesting for people who are interested in Japanese quad.

I'd love to know if there are more tapes in the 'QW' series aside from the Godfather soundtrack. It seems weird to have one tape with a different catalog prefix, especially in Japan where they seemed to be very methodical and organized about naming and numbering things. I was always surprised that those two Glenn Miller 'String Of Pearls' albums that seem to be ubiquitous on CD-4 vinyl for example don't show up as Q8's - or haven't as far as I know.

I agree completely and thanks for the link to the post. As I recall it contained a clarification for one listing I had. Nick P and I have discussed this same thing over the years trying to figure out the system of catalog numbers. I think the they were using an enigma machine and a roulette wheel myself.
Good point on the Glen Miller, I do not recall a 2 tape Japan Q8 set and wonder if that might be why we did not see a corresponding Q8 release.

Hi Mark, I just got a package from Japan of some Quad8's that don't seem to be in the discography. The the link below for pictures of the 5 tapes and 1 sleeve that unfortunately had a stereo tape in it. If indeed they are listed, I just didn't look in the right place.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?14938-What-s-the-Latest-QUAD-TAPE-Added-to-Your-Pile-Q8-Q4&p=349108&viewfull=1#post349108

Thanks again for the post. I find it interesting that the titles that have a CD-4 equivalent that the catalog numbers do not match.
The 1st title (QH-1014) I have not seen and cannot find it in any of the marketing literature from the day. I am also unaware of a CD-4 release.
QH-1017 I am aware of and it's CD-4 release "YASUNOBU MATSUURA & THE VICTOR ORCHESTRA-Harlem Nocturne. JVC CD4B-5014E (CD4) [Japan]"

I have not seen the Clarion sampler but have seen the one below. I am unaware of the artists and what record label supplied them
CLARION 8 track 4 Channel Demonstration Pak. CLARION CTE-824-100 (Q8) [Japan]c.jpg

The Sylvie Vartan Title I was unaware of a Q8 release to the CD-4 "SYLVIE VARTAN-Live in Tokyo Japan. RCA R4P-5013 (CD4) [Japan]"

The Hugo title is another surprise! I was only aware of the Japan CD-4 "R4P-5002 (CD4) [Japan]"

What a great find on all

Blue Oyster Cult - Extraterrestrial Live Columbia KG 37948. (SQ ?)

Not quite certain if it even qualifies , but one tune "Dominance And Submission " is taken fr KBFH and some of the other live tunes hail fr FM broadcasts which at the time were " quadcasting " , so.......

a possible live quad encoded album at the height of matrix quad broadcasting in the U.S.

20171028_200150.jpg20171028_200140.jpg

Not quite certain if it even qualifies , but one tune "Dominance And Submission " is taken fr KBFH and some of the other live tunes hail fr FM broadcasts which at the time were " quadcasting " , so.......
a possible live quad encoded album at the height of matrix quad broadcasting in the U.S.
View attachment 30965View attachment 30966
I think the KBFH 1980 show was a little late for being SQ encoded as 1977 ended that practice, not sure about the other recordings on this set.
http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quaddisc/quadradi.htm

Thanks Mark. I figured that any Japanese Q8 was pretty rare nowadays and the 100 yen price was too good to pass up. I have to admit that the Elvis tape was the prize for me and was surprised not to see it in the discography. Having the sleeves was also a nice part of the find. When I get a reliable Q8 deck hooked up and running, I will check out all of them and also let you know what the Clarion sampler is like. I will try Google Translate at some point as well to attempt finding out the contents. I am also happy that I was able to contribute to the discography as it is my most used web resource after email.

Thanks again for the post. I find it interesting that the titles that have a CD-4 equivalent that the catalog numbers do not match.
The 1st title (QH-1014) I have not seen and cannot find it in any of the marketing literature from the day. I am also unaware of a CD-4 release.
QH-1017 I am aware of and it's CD-4 release "YASUNOBU MATSUURA & THE VICTOR ORCHESTRA-Harlem Nocturne. JVC CD4B-5014E (CD4) [Japan]"

I have not seen the Clarion sampler but have seen the one below. I am unaware of the artists and what record label supplied them
View attachment 30945

The Sylvie Vartan Title I was unaware of a Q8 release to the CD-4 "SYLVIE VARTAN-Live in Tokyo Japan. RCA R4P-5013 (CD4) [Japan]"

The Hugo title is another surprise! I was only aware of the Japan CD-4 "R4P-5002 (CD4) [Japan]"

What a great find on all

View attachment 30965View attachment 30966

77, huh ? I originally thought 78, myself but it would seem KBFH issued quad reels up to Feb 1980 . Listings here-

http://www.eclipse67.com/kbi.htm

As to that BOC recording the evidence is somewhat lacking. Unless it's a rebroadcast from an earlier show , and unless it's
encoded , it surely can't be considered .

thought I'd toss it up for comments.

Back