Requesting Updates for the Compact Disc Quad Discography

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Anderson

Staff member
I am requesting any updates you would like to have added to the Compact Disc Quad Discography including corrections.

If the title is new please include the following

1. Artist
2. Title of album
3. Record label
4. Catalog number
5. Quadraphonic format (QS, SQ, CD4, UMX)
6. Country of origin (U.S., U.K, etc.) since catalog
numbers change with country of origin

I will create separate threads for the other discographies for updates.

THE ELECTRI LIGHT ORCHESTRA EARLY YEARS cd has listed six of it's thirteen selections as "Quad mix", "Quad SQ Mix", or "Discreet Quad Mixdown"; also there is practically a full page of liner notes dealing with the release of the "Quad" mixes on this and two previous releases, ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA/FIRST LIGHT and ELO 2. All of the selections sound wonderful through the SQ setting on the Tate 101A.
Dwight

The following CD's are Quad encoded:

AIRTO MOREIRA -
Fingers. PJL (CTI) Japan MTCJ-4001 (SQ) 2002

GATO BARBIERI -
Chapter 1/ Latin America. MCA (Impulse) MCAD-39124 US (QS) 1989

Chapter 3/ Viva Emiliano Zapata. GRP (Impulse) GRD-111 US (QS) 1992
GRP 11112 Europe (QS) 1992

There are '09 US reissues of all these albums on CD, as well as Chapter Two, but I cannot vouch for the encoding being in tact on those issues.

The One Way version of the "Chase" album is definitely SQ as the opening does the "run around the room" gimmick. It's actually been my test recording for a while and what got me to realize my Tate had died.

The One Way version of the "Chase" album is definitely SQ as the opening does the "run around the room" gimmick. It's actually been my test recording for a while and what got me to realize my Tate had died.

This is a screenshot of Logitech Media Server streaming "Open Up Wide" via Rhapsody. Note the cover art...and no, this isn't me pulling a Photoshop prank! OpenUpWide.PNG

Thanks for the updates Quad Linda & atrocity. I will amend the discography

You're welcome. By the way, I should point out that the MP3 version Rhapsody streams matches the cover art and is in fact SQ encoded.

There's an interesting review on Amazon:
Amazon reviewer Elwood Conway said:
Chase was great. They played our town's Holiday Inn and blew the roof off. But if this CD sounds weak in the low end, it's because it is a 2 track reduction taken from the QUAD LP master (as was the Japanese import CD). After I called One-Way Records, I was able to confirm that the original LP master is MISSING (lost perhaps in CBS' vault fire that consumed much of Chicago's and Simon & Garfunkel's master tapes). The original album producer has a DAT copy of the original master, but was not used for this CD.
Other than sounding somewhat tinnier than the original LP, other not so subtle differences are the slightly different vocals on Grocery List and Bill Chase's intro Trumpet solo on River. If you have the original yellow label Epic (or even orange label 2nd pressing) LP, A/B it with the CD and you will see what I mean. If you have the 2 LP reissue (with Ennea) on the blue Epic label, the you have this two track mix-down from Quad. So hit the old record stores (or ebay) and find the original LP because, until they re-release this CD as a multi-channel SACD from the Quad mix and release the ORIGINAL 2 track master recording as well, this is the only way to find the original.

Both of Dzyans SQ (German) albums were released on a two for one cd a few years ago. It was an import here and I cannot find the label name, but these were single inventory SQ encoded releases so the cd is encoded too. At least I remember it that way....

I had a peek through the CD Discography .

You did a great job with those Sun Ra titles , Mark but I thought the general consensus with Magic City , is that one side is quad but the other is stereo ? Yes No.

Also I gave you CD titles all in the "Popular Discography", thread , including numbers etc. Please see posts #198...#202.for....
Norrie Paramor , Doug Carn .

and the AIG TEST And Reference CD ,post #196.

Also : Ned Lagin - Seastones is indicated in the CD liner notes as QS not SQ ....and the vinyl album in 75 stated SQ.

Add to Mike Oldfield - Exposed .. 2CD Virgin CDVD 2511 ..this copy I have.

And I got a kick out of your typo for : Various Artist's, section re Atrists

All in all a great so far Mark. We keep adding to that listing , and keep you busy , so thanks for all your due diligence. It's a thankless job sometimes.

Fizzy

Back