Requesting Updates for the NOT RELEASED Quad Discography

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Anderson

Staff member
I am requesting any updates you would like to have added to the the NOT RELEASED Quad Discography including corrections.

If the title is new please include the following

1. Artist
2. Title of album
3. Record label
4. Catalog number
5. Quadraphonic format (QS, SQ, CD4, UMX)
6. Format - LP (vinyl), Q8 (Quad 8-track), QR (quad reel to reel)
since catalog numbers change w/format
7. Add a D in front of the tape format code listed above if Dolby
was used on the tape.
8. Country of origin (U.S., U.K, etc.) since catalog
numbers change with country of origin

I will create separate threads for the other discographies for updates.

Hi Mark, I have found a title on eBay that isn't quite the listing you have, but I think merits mention. The Max Morath plays Scott Joplin you have listed as unreleased as an American LP, but I have found a listing for a French issue, purporting to be the quad version. The picture appears to show the US designated number and a French label. I can not see if there is a French record number. I did not see the French issue in your discographies, so am posting it here.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Max-Morath-Plays-the-Best-of-SCOTT-JOPLIN-QUADRAPHONIC-DOUBLE-vinyl-record-RARE-/181823721928?hash=item2a5589d1c8

Thanks for alerting me to that. The low resolution of the photo makes it difficult to validate. I have seen the listing for a while and since another copy has not surfaced it has been hard to confirm if it is an anomaly or a rarity. Could it be that it is a misprint or an error? We would need to compare it to the stereo release.
Hopefully by the next time I do an update we will learn more but if not it could always be listed as a rumor until we know more.

Hi Mark, I have found a title on eBay that isn't quite the listing you have, but I think merits mention. The Max Morath plays Scott Joplin you have listed as unreleased as an American LP, but I have found a listing for a French issue, purporting to be the quad version. The picture appears to show the US designated number and a French label. I can not see if there is a French record number. I did not see the French issue in your discographies, so am posting it here.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Max-Morath-Plays-the-Best-of-SCOTT-JOPLIN-QUADRAPHONIC-DOUBLE-vinyl-record-RARE-/181823721928?hash=item2a5589d1c8

Hi Mark,

Bill Brent, who occasionally posts to QQ, has a reviewer's copy of an unreleased 2-reel QR edition of Peter Schickele's The Wurst of PDQ Bach, a title that was released on QSLP. The catalog number on the box of the reviewer's copy (US, I'm assuming) is VSS 40007/8. No mention of Dolby.

I'm guessing you saw the note that for everything Deutsche Grammophon recorded between 1969 and 1976 (about 500 records) a quad master exists. A few have gotten out recently via Pentatone.

Don't know if the Guy Lombardo title on london was ever officially released but it was mixed for quad because I have a copy of a copy of the reel. Channels are reversed though with audience in the fronts.

Hi Mark,

Bill Brent, who occasionally posts to QQ, has a reviewer's copy of an unreleased 2-reel QR edition of Peter Schickele's The Wurst of PDQ Bach, a title that was released on QSLP. The catalog number on the box of the reviewer's copy (US, I'm assuming) is VSS 40007/8. No mention of Dolby.

Thanks for the info. It was issued as a single reel but with only Excerpts (J-1408 [Excerpts] (QR)). I would place this in the popular category with the other lisings. Do any pictures exist?

Drool, drool...

Should BILLY COBHAM - Spectrum. Atlantic QD-7268 (CD4), QT-7268 (Q8) be removed since it was released on SACD?

Also Streetlife Serenade?

Yeah, me too.
The not released list pertains to the formats listed (CD4) & (Q8).
Are we lucky or what? only 40 years later and we get the hi-res quad version so we do not need to worry about not having the CD-4 & Q8

I'm guessing you saw the note that for everything Deutsche Grammophon recorded between 1969 and 1976 (about 500 records) a quad master exists. A few have gotten out recently via Pentatone.

Isn't it wonderful that these gems are being released. I am not familiar with the post but am familiar with a few test records that were made, I would enjoy any info that I may have missed

And Phillips .
Was Polydor included?
Deutsche Grammophon VP 301.JPG

Don't know if the Guy Lombardo title on london was ever officially released but it was mixed for quad because I have a copy of a copy of the reel. Channels are reversed though with audience in the fronts.

I would like to know more about that, like which title and how does it sound?

Isn't it wonderful that these gems are being released. I am not familiar with the post but am familiar with a few test records that were made, I would enjoy any info that I may have missed
Look here: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?20318-Discussion-with-Thomas-Mowrey

Especially Post 25: "I am quite sure that all symphonic and operatic recordings were in quad during that period (roughly 1970-76). I believe DG made about 300 of them."

Back