Requesting Updates for the NOT RELEASED Quad Discography

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looking at these, was the version of The Planets the Steinberg/Boston Symphony recording? Thomas Mowrey has indicated he produced these recordings in fairly active quad, but I wasn't aware a copy had gotten out. It's one of the definitive versions...

Is the Tchaikovsky 6 the same as this release?
51bCZmnlt3L.jpg

Looking at these, was the version of The Planets the Steinberg/Boston Symphony recording? Thomas Mowrey has indicated he produced these recordings in fairly active quad, but I wasn't aware a copy had gotten out. It's one of the definitive versions...

Is the Tchaikovsky 6 the same as this release?
View attachment 30665

I do not have an answer to that as no other info is listed other than the corresponding stereo release # that I cannot read

Some additions, Mark.

Scroll down halfway at this thread for quad mixes by Jim Reeves.

http://www.reevesaudio.com/references.html

Four titles never released but mixed :

LAURA NYRO -BEADS OF SWEAT Columbia

SIMON AND GARFUNKLE -BOOKENDS Columbia

EDGAR WINTER -WHITE TRASH (with Jerry LaCroix) Epic

PAUL REVERE AND THE RAIDERS -PAUL REVERE AND THE RAIDERS Epic

More additions, Mark.

ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA -ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA Q4 SHVL 797 (SQ) Harvest Britian [ stereo only vinyl record inserted in quad album ]

ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA -ELO II. Q4 SHVL 806 (SQ) Harvest Britain [two tracks from this quad mix turned up on the 2004 cd Early Years ]

Both never released , though .

And,

THE MOODY BLUES -SEVENTH SOJOURN Threshold (SQ ) promo/test Britain # unknown
(elsewhere in a corresponding thread , it was established that in 73 a test or promo of the SQ quad edition was provided . It's mentioned in the SACD liner notes that this SQ QUADRAPHONIC disc was definitely made. Exact numbers produced are speculative .)

And,
THE MOODY BLUES -SEVENTH SOJOURN Threshold (SQ ) promo/test Britain # unknown
(elsewhere in a corresponding thread , it was established that in 73 a test or promo of the SQ quad edition was provided . It's mentioned in the SACD liner notes that this SQ QUADRAPHONIC disc was definitely made. Exact numbers produced are speculative .)

Thanks for the additions and thread link. I wonder if the Moody's title above should be in the popular discography if titles were actually pressed and can be verified, if not than I would think the rumors section would be the best fit until one surfaces for confirmation

Thanks for the additions and thread link. I wonder if the Moody's title above should be in the popular discography if titles were actually pressed and can be verified, if not than I would think the rumors section would be the best fit until one surfaces for confirmation

Would not this be akin to the test/demo pressings of "Clockwork Orange" and "Switched On Bach " in CD-4 also on the NR release.

Two sources confirm it was made . The SACD liner notes and more importantly the quad mix engineer for the Moodies , Derek Varnals .

POST #17 at this thread.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?21098-SEVENTH-SOJOURN-SQ-SINGLE-INVENTORY!

No not single inventory but likely demo/test pressings for FM radio , The Moodies, industry insiders at Decca and of course the Engineer and Producer .

FWIW , NO ONE on those proceeding posts indicates it does not exist .

If you choose another of your sites ? Well I suppose, but you will have to indicate caveats .

Thanks for taking the time to do that

Well after a lot of digging I finally found the tape. The title is Every Night is New Years Eve with Guy Lombardo Live at the Waldorf Astoria. A search shows it as London 904. Enclosed with the tape are copies of the song titles and photos from the gig.
From what I remember there was a little static in the background slightly heard during the very quiet parts. Almost sounded like static from a radio station. Could this title possibly have been played live on New Years Eve in quad and simulcast on 2 stations, then recorded by the guy I got it from. I can't ask him because he is no longer with us. It is a copy of a copy as I said.
Anyway I will try to play it again tonight or tomorrow and will report back.

Would not this be akin to the test/demo pressings of "Clockwork Orange" and "Switched On Bach " in CD-4 also on the NR release.
Two sources confirm it was made . The SACD liner notes and more importantly the quad mix engineer for the Moodies , Derek Varnals .
POST #17 at this thread.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?21098-SEVENTH-SOJOURN-SQ-SINGLE-INVENTORY!
No not single inventory but likely demo/test pressings for FM radio , The Moodies, industry insiders at Decca and of course the Engineer and Producer
FWIW , NO ONE on those proceeding posts indicates it does not exist .
If you choose another of your sites ? Well I suppose, but you will have to indicate caveats .
After much thinking and second guessing myself I deferred to putting it on the not released. Released meaning a production run to the public.
I will add the Moody's disc to the not released. Thanks for the reminder on that thread.

Well after a lot of digging I finally found the tape. The title is Every Night is New Years Eve with Guy Lombardo Live at the Waldorf Astoria. A search shows it as London 904. Enclosed with the tape are copies of the song titles and photos from the gig.
From what I remember there was a little static in the background slightly heard during the very quiet parts. Almost sounded like static from a radio station. Could this title possibly have been played live on New Years Eve in quad and simulcast on 2 stations, then recorded by the guy I got it from. I can't ask him because he is no longer with us. It is a copy of a copy as I said.
Anyway I will try to play it again tonight or tomorrow and will report back.
Thanks for do some digging. Either way, an unreleased mix or a discrete quad broadcast it should be preserved, I hope you can get it transferred as a backup. I look forward to your thoughts upon listening. It has been my experience that an FM broadcast is pretty detectable due to compressing the signal to limit bandwidth. If it is a radio broadcast that has me excited as so many 2 station discrete broadcast have not been preserved. When you think about the effort to do a broadcast like that it is amazing anyone heard it or could record it properly. 1st you need full bandwidth phone lines to connect the concert location to the station(s), time correct them and then the person listening to the transmission needed to have two tuners and 4 speakers and then to tape it you needed a 4 channel recorder! Jeez. It was usually a special event one would plan a party around and then fight for who gets the sweet spot.
Although Guy Lombardo would not be my kind of party, It is a time capsule in surround and I find I can listen and appreciate a lot more things than when I was younger and at a party for new years.

Thanks for do some digging. Either way, an unreleased mix or a discrete quad broadcast it should be preserved, I hope you can get it transferred as a backup. I look forward to your thoughts upon listening. It has been my experience that an FM broadcast is pretty detectable due to compressing the signal to limit bandwidth. If it is a radio broadcast that has me excited as so many 2 station discrete broadcast have not been preserved. When you think about the effort to do a broadcast like that it is amazing anyone heard it or could record it properly. 1st you need full bandwidth phone lines to connect the concert location to the station(s), time correct them and then the person listening to the transmission needed to have two tuners and 4 speakers and then to tape it you needed a 4 channel recorder! Jeez. It was usually a special event one would plan a party around and then fight for who gets the sweet spot.
Although Guy Lombardo would not be my kind of party, It is a time capsule in surround and I find I can listen and appreciate a lot more things than when I was younger and at a party for new years.
OK I gave it a closer listen last night than I did years ago. I don't think the channels are reversed as I stated in my former post. Crowd noise is from all channels but still a bit louder in the fronts. In fact the crowd never shuts up throughout the concert. You can hear then all the time, like they couldn't care less about the music.
As for the mix, It's does sound like quad but barely. Reminds me of the rechanneled Mantovanni reels. Instruments sometimes can be heard from the rears. The announcements and the singing all come from the fronts. There is the noise issue I mentioned previously, mostly from right rear. Could be just hiss. The one new thing I noticed was that at the end of side one just before the noise stopped I heard what might have been a click sound that sounded like from a needle drop. Now I'm wondering if this might be a copy of a test disc.
As far as backing this up I don't have the ability to do this. If I ever get my other reel deck fixed I could make a reel copy but that's about it.
Bottom line, I does seem like some sort of quad but nothing to get too excited about.

OK I gave it a closer listen last night than I did years ago. I don't think the channels are reversed as I stated in my former post. Crowd noise is from all channels but still a bit louder in the fronts. In fact the crowd never shuts up throughout the concert. You can hear then all the time, like they couldn't care less about the music.
As for the mix, It's does sound like quad but barely. Reminds me of the rechanneled Mantovanni reels. Instruments sometimes can be heard from the rears. The announcements and the singing all come from the fronts. There is the noise issue I mentioned previously, mostly from right rear. Could be just hiss. The one new thing I noticed was that at the end of side one just before the noise stopped I heard what might have been a click sound that sounded like from a needle drop. Now I'm wondering if this might be a copy of a test disc.
As far as backing this up I don't have the ability to do this. If I ever get my other reel deck fixed I could make a reel copy but that's about it.
Bottom line, I does seem like some sort of quad but nothing to get too excited about.

Thanks for taking the time to give it a listen again. Do you think that it might be synthesized to 4-channel from a 2 channel source?

Thanks for taking the time to give it a listen again. Do you think that it might be synthesized to 4-channel from a 2 channel source?
I don't think so but I've heard some very good synthesized to 4 channel results in the past. I've received many quad tapes from this guy over the years and none of them were from stereo sources. He was a big quad collector and everything else I received from him was the real deal so who knows. I would say yes It's quad but just so and so mix.

Well after a lot of digging I finally found the tape. The title is Every Night is New Years Eve with Guy Lombardo Live at the Waldorf Astoria. A search shows it as London 904.

The Not released discography list this title, do you think the tape you have could be the same

GUY LOMBARDO & THE ROYAL CANADIANS -
Every Night is New Year’s Eve. London J-17904 (QR), L-77904 (Q8)

The Not released discography list this title, do you think the tape you have could be the same

GUY LOMBARDO & THE ROYAL CANADIANS -
Every Night is New Year’s Eve. London J-17904 (QR), L-77904 (Q8)
It appears to be the same. There are some photos included with the tape that look like they were copied from the artwork on the Lp. These tapes from this person are all fairly old so if it is actually stereo converted to quad he must have done it with vintage equipment.

It appears to be the same. There are some photos included with the tape that look like they were copied from the artwork on the Lp. These tapes from this person are all fairly old so if it is actually stereo converted to quad he must have done it with vintage equipment.
Then it is very possible you might have a copy of the unreleased recording!

Just saw the list

JOHN McLAUGHLIN -
Apocalypse. Columbia CQ-32957 (SQ), CAQ-32957 (DQ8)

Is this actually the Mahavishnu Orchestra 'apocalypse' album?

If so I'd add this to D-V's potential list for release. Quite a surprise as I'd only heard that 'birds of fire' and possibly the live 'between nothingness...' Had been mix in quad, hasn't heard anything about this.

I still prefer 'visions of the emerald...' From MO2 but I never heard anything about a quad for this and it's highly unlikely.

I'd also be up for the live Jeff Beck / jan Hammer quad

I just checked the database where Billy Cobham/Spectrum and Jethro Tull/Minstrel In The Gallery are listed. The Audio Fidelity SACD of Spectrum contains a Quad mix as does the Steven Wilson box of MITG. I'm fairly new to the forum and am admittedly nowhere near as sophisticated as others here on all thing quad so I'm just checking to see if I might be missing something.

I just checked the database where Billy Cobham/Spectrum and Jethro Tull/Minstrel In The Gallery are listed. The Audio Fidelity SACD of Spectrum contains a Quad mix as does the Steven Wilson box of MITG. I'm fairly new to the forum and am admittedly nowhere near as sophisticated as others here on all thing quad so I'm just checking to see if I might be missing something.

The database refers to CD-4 quad LPs of those two titles that were supposed to come out in the 1970s, but were cancelled. The quad master tapes lay dormant until those recent digital releases you pointed out.

Back