Requesting Updates for the Quad Radio Broadcast Discography

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes - I found it late at night just as I was logging off. After reading it more closely, I saw that Tab Patterson was involved, so I should have figured it was on here somewhere.

The files on the "other" site claim to be in the broadcast 256 rate, I think the files on the radio station's site are 128.

Where is the Quad Radio Broadcast Discography? This is the thread for requesting updates, but I can't find the original list!

Actually the 1969 Discrete Quad FM Broadcasts were done with K-101 (KIOI) and several partner stations including one in the Sacramento area that also had the 101 position on the FM dial.
It involved Lou Dorren and his "Quadracast" FM technology. Also, K-101 broadcast the Front Channels as I recall - not the rear channels.

During those "experimental" 4 Channel Discrete Quad demo broadcasts, K-101 owner Jim Gabbert had some really cool Surround Sound source material including a 4 Channel mix of the "Paint Your Wagon" Soundtrack, Sound Effects and
Mystic Moods albums produced and mixed by Quad pioneer Brad Miller and several more only for the demo Surround tapes.

Some great listening..... !

I have in my hand a reel to reel of K101 and KBFG san francisco. This was done on July 24 1976. This show was 1.5 hours of a variety of songs including Doobies, Jeff Air, Creedence, Guess Who, Open Road by Donovan (Rare) and the Paint your Wagon opening. It includes the chatter but not the commercials. If there is a demand, i will send it to Bob and get it out. It is interesting to hear. I am gonna get Bob another drive full to convert, i can send this.

I have in my hand a reel to reel of K101 and KBFG san francisco. This was done on July 24 1976. This show was 1.5 hours of a variety of songs including Doobies, Jeff Air, Creedence, Guess Who, Open Road by Donovan (Rare) and the Paint your Wagon opening. It includes the chatter but not the commercials. If there is a demand, i will send it to Bob and get it out. It is interesting to hear. I am gonna get Bob another drive full to convert, i can send this.

That would be great. Brings back some early Quad memories here.

Who was Jeff Air? I remember the other material - as I recall some of it (Doobies, Guess Who) was from the record labels doing CD-4 Quad since they were also advocating for the use of the Dorren Quadracast Discrete 4 Channel System for FM. The Paint Your Wagon opening and "They Call The Wind Mariah" surround mixes were very impressive as I recall.

Just stumbled across this thread and had a couple of things to add, and I apologize for any redundant info. Also, am enclosing a couple of questions regarding some quad shows I need some help with, so hope you don't mind.
1) Genesis Knebworth 1978 BBC Rock Hour- Matrix H or HJ. If stars align a decoded version of that should surface within the next year or so.
2) Steely Dan Record Plant is definitely QS. Did anyone ever post a decode of this?
3) ELP Ontario Motor Speedway (CalJam) Quad is questionable. Was able to track down one of the broadcast mix engineers last year who said no quad mixes were done at the time. Been trying to find a rip of the vinyl bootleg that claims to be QS, but no luck yet. At the same time, I have a bootleg video clip of the show that says "broadcast in quad on KLOS", so apparently that is wrong.
4) Genesis Shrine '75 show. Although supposedly SQ, sounds pretty bland decoded. Actually sounds pretty good in QS, but have not been able to find any definitive documentation on the matrix used. King Biscuit was always SQ, however the show was recorded and mixed by Genesis engineer John Burns with the Heider mobile and not the biscuit people, so this show might possibly be a "loaner." Also, compared to other King Biscuit shows, this one is incredibly rare, and outside of the Vault, I only know of one pre-fm source.
5) WXRT Chicago apparently made a bunch of SQ broadcasts in the late 70's. The most famous of these is the Genesis Uptown theater show from 1978, and also a show by the Cars. Been trying to find any kind of listings, and there is virtually no info to be found out on the web. Heard that the tapes might actually be getting digitized, but rebroadcasts are incredibly rare if not nonexistent because of the usual licensing issues.
6) Elton John 2 part SQ King Biscuit May and June of 75. If anyone knows any info about this one, would love to hear it. Haven't been able to find any tracks or info from this show. Also, Elton didn't do shows in 75 until after these broadcasts were made, which makes the broadcasts even more of a question mark.
7) Was told not too long ago that the BSO quad broadcasts that used two radio stations had one station carry the left channels and the other station carry the right channels, as they couldn't agree on who would get the fronts and the backs.

Just stumbled across this thread and had a couple of things to add, and I apologize for any redundant info. Also, am enclosing a couple of questions regarding some quad shows I need some help with, so hope you don't mind.
5) WXRT Chicago apparently made a bunch of SQ broadcasts in the late 70's. The most famous of these is the Genesis Uptown theater show from 1978, and also a show by the Cars. Been trying to find any kind of listings, and there is virtually no info to be found out on the web. Heard that the tapes might actually be getting digitized, but rebroadcasts are incredibly rare if not nonexistent because of the usual licensing issues.
6) Elton John 2 part SQ King Biscuit May and June of 75. If anyone knows any info about this one, would love to hear it. Haven't been able to find any tracks or info from this show. Also, Elton didn't do shows in 75 until after these broadcasts were made, which makes the broadcasts even more of a question mark.
7) Was told not too long ago that the BSO quad broadcasts that used two radio stations had one station carry the left channels and the other station carry the right channels, as they couldn't agree on who would get the fronts and the backs.
The Cars exists in true discrete (not SQ) quad. I did the Steely Dan twice - the latest uses the QS final script. Lots of KBFH (Not SQ but also true quad) in the pipeline. And a special BOC from WLUP in Chicago from '79 coming soon.

The Cars exists in true discrete (not SQ) quad. I did the Steely Dan twice - the latest uses the QS final script. Lots of KBFH (Not SQ but also true quad) in the pipeline. And a special BOC from WLUP in Chicago from '79 coming soon.

Always interested in the SQ and QS Final stuff. But true discrete quad - that's always best !

Originally Posted by quadaholic View Post 1) Genesis Knebworth 1978 BBC Rock Hour- Matrix H or HJ. If stars align a decoded version of that should surface within the next year or so. said:
The British library hold this on two CDs archived from the master tape.

This show is currently up on yeeshkul from the pre-FM reel. Dont know if it is H or HJ encoded.

Dear Neb,
In regards to your question about stereo mix versus quad mix, here is what I THINK is the case. I feel reasonably confident that all versions circulating are in fact the quad mix (the only mix that exists I am guessing). The problem is that the H encoding is very fragile and falls apart quickly with any kind of added eq or processing. The original mix is pretty dark sounding, possibly because the multiple phase angles are cancelling out some treble. As a result, anyone with ears wants to brighten up the mix, which is where things fall apart. The best sounding version circulating is a version that is supposedly sourced from bbc rock hour reels, and the encoding is present but unusable.
However, am confident that usable (enough) versions of all the tracks from the broadcast can be cobbled together from various other sources (thanks to some of the folks at the Genesis movement for their patience with my emails.). I started to work on decoding the show last year, but then my family and I had to move, then my computer died and I lost a lot of decoding settings I had been working on with Audition. Thankfully I saved my notes, but at present real world responsibilities are keeping me away from putting in the time. Being a responsible adult just sucks sometimes.
For the record, the person that probably has the most in depth knowledge of everything H, HJ, and UHJ is OD, who has been extremely helpful in discussing the technical aspects of this with me. Decoding H is tricky, and sound quality tends to fall apart quickly when you start to "dig deep" into the extracting process. Also, want to mention that the various "short cut" methods I've seen mentioned don't really work, at least not with the Knebworth tracks.
In any case, be patient, am sure that someone will sort this one out in the next year if not sooner. Whomever ends up doing it, I look forward to hearing the results as well.

We had a ABC station here that played
QS SQ records and some BBC transcriptions
Does that count as Quad broadcasts?

Back