What Do You Think The Next Rhino Quadio Title Will Be?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"What Do you think the next Rhino Quadio Title Will be?"
Anything PLEASE! Just keep 'em coming.

"What Do you think the next Rhino Quadio Title Will be?"
Anything PLEASE! Just keep 'em coming.
I'm pretty sure it's over with, since the people involved were apparently laid off. Laid off generally means the position is not to be refilled.

I wonder what would happen if a DTS HDMA track was played on a standard DVD player. Would it default to standard dts or would it just not play at all? Could a Blu-ray player play a DTS HDMA track on a DVD?

The answer to the third question is yes. A standard DVD can have DTS-HDMA recorded on to it. Just like DVD-A can be recorded on to a standard DVD.

Aren't you then referring to BD5 and BD9 discs? They are very different from a DVD-Video compilation.

It isn't likely we will ever see commercial music releases using DTS-HD MA on DVD media. BD5 and BD9 (Blu-ray file structure on a DVD5 and DVD9) isn't an officially supported format therefore many Blu-ray players and 100% of DVD players won't play those discs. Even AVCHD isn't supported by all Blu-ray players although it is officially supported by most Blu-ray players, notably all Sony and all Panasonic players do support it if I recall correctly. I don't know if the PS3 will play BD5 and BD9 discs since I don't have any of them to test.

Here is what Wikipedia offers on BD5 and BD9:

BD9 and BD5
The BD9 format was proposed to the Blu-ray Disc Association by Warner Home Video as a cost-effective alternative to the 25/50 GB BD-ROM discs. The format was supposed to use the same codecs and program structure as Blu-ray Disc video, but recorded onto less expensive 8.5 GB dual-layer DVD. This red-laser media could be manufactured on existing DVD production lines with lower costs of production than the 25/50 GB Blu-ray media.[67]

Usage of BD9 for releasing content on "pressed" discs has never caught on. After the end of the format war, major producers ramped up the production of Blu-ray Discs and lowered their prices to the level of DVDs. On the other hand, the idea of using inexpensive DVD media became popular among individual users. A lower-capacity version of this format that uses single-layer 4.7 GB DVDs has been unofficially called BD5. Both formats are being used by individual users for recording high definition content in Blu-ray format onto recordable DVD media.[68][69]

Despite the fact that the BD9 format has been adopted as part of the BD-ROM basic format, none of the existing Blu-ray player models supports it explicitly. As such, the discs recorded in BD9 and BD5 formats are not guaranteed to play on standard Blu-ray Disc players.

AVCHD and AVCREC also use inexpensive media like DVDs, but unlike BD9 and BD5 these formats have limited interactivity, codec types, and data rates.

Last edited:
As far as my guess for the next Quadio title, no idea and I don't know if it will be a DVD-V or a Blu-ray release if it does happen.

It isn't likely we will ever see commercial music releases using DTS-HD MA on DVD media. BD5 and BD9 (Blu-ray file structure on a DVD5 and DVD9) isn't an officially supported format therefore many Blu-ray players and 100% of DVD players won't play those discs. Even AVCHD isn't supported by all Blu-ray players although it is officially supported by most Blu-ray players, notably all Sony and all Panasonic players do support it if I recall correctly. I don't know if the PS3 will play BD5 and BD9 discs since I don't have any of them to test.

Here is what Wikipedia offers on BD5 and BD9:

The OPPO BDP-83 will play DTS-HDMA recorded on to DVD-R and DVD+R. I assumed that was a common capability. Since that assumption has been somewhat cast in doubt, I am curious to hear which other players can or can not do the same. Blu-Ray players, of course...

The OPPO BDP-83 will play DTS-HDMA recorded on to DVD-R and DVD+R. I assumed that was a common capability. Since that assumption has been somewhat cast in doubt, I am curious to hear which other players can or can not do the same. Blu-Ray players, of course...
How are you creating this disks? Do you have a HDMA encoder or are you somehow stripping it off a Blu-ray disk?

As far as my guess for the next Quadio title, no idea and I don't know if it will be a DVD-V or a Blu-ray release if it does happen.
I think they should keep them all the same at this point. Switching over to Blu-ray part way through the series probably wouldn't help anything, and there's still those Blu-ray hold-outs.

No idea about what it would be but Procol Harum with The Edmonton Orchestra would be cool.

From the jacket notes:

"We found time to try our quadraphonic effect tapes this afternoon; that explosion would shake the foundations. Keith tells me the seagulls sound like they're circling above your head when you're out there. The amplified choir should be coming from both the stage and the back of the theatre to surround the audience with their sound".

Imagine the hype: "Experience the concert as if you had been there".

I agree. I would also like to hear something new to my ears. Something REALLY "from the vaults". A previously never before released Quad would be the shizzle. :)

And would you folks give it a rest about what format it should be? This thread was about artists and titles. Next person that mentions Blu-Ray gets bitch slapped. It's starting to get annoying. Go start your own Record Company if you want Quad Blu Ray.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it's over with, since the people involved were apparently laid off. Laid off generally means the position is not to be refilled.

Those people were laid off before the first quadio disc was released.
That's very unfortunate, because they were good people, but it didn't kill the program, obviously.

If I were betting, I'd put my money on the Doobie Brothers for the next release.

Those people were laid off before the first quadio disc was released.
That's very unfortunate, because they were good people, but it didn't kill the program, obviously.

If I were betting, I'd put my money on the Doobie Brothers for the next release.

Well, I sent John (from Rhino) an email and it didn't bounce, but I didn't get a response, so it either means he's still there and can't talk about future projects, or he has nothing to say. It's another matter of wait and see.

The fun thing about the "Quadio" series so far has been that they're usually very close to release once we finally hear about them. Let's hope that's just the case and they are still planning more, but can't talk about 'em yet.

Hmm. Makes me think about the cut from "Holland" that was on the VH1 Classic Rock DVD-A. That was obviously from a discrete source. They could have that in the vault as well.

I want stuff from the Columbia vaults - like the quad mix of "Company" and Janis Joplin "Pearl" - and Leonard Bernstein's "Mass". I'd pay major bucks to have them, untampered with, from the original quad masters. And unreleased stuff from MCA/Universal's vault, like the quad mix of the soundtrack to the film "Jesus Christ Superstar" and the unused surround sound mix of Olivia Newton-John's "Physical." (A full surround mix, meant to be SQ encoded, was done for the LaserDisc release, but it was never used)

Back