What Do You Think The Next Rhino Quadio Title Will Be?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you aware that AOQ has just released "Company" on a certain site, taken from a Q4

OD

No, can you PM me where to get it?

Are you talking about Big Brother & The Holding Company - Cheap Thrills? I have the SACD and it can still be found at a "reasonable" cost. No need to make that the next Quadio title, IMO.

Edit: Never mind - Company is a Broadway musical, not the album above I thought it was. My quadio vote is NOT for that!

Last edited:
Hmm. Makes me think about the cut from "Holland" that was on the VH1 Classic Rock DVD-A. That was obviously from a discrete source. They could have that in the vault as well.

The track from "Holland" is "Sail on Sailor" and is on the Silverline "Inside the Music - Surfs Up" DVD-A. Yeah Clark, that would great to have "Holland" but I would prefer the original "Surf's Up" album as the next Quadio title.

I wish somebody would put out Black Sabbath "Sabotage" in quad. The quad master tapes are just sitting in a vault somewhere. I believe Tony Iommi confirmed that they exist.

Really? Now there i'm with you. I do question the idea of releasing albums where there are already good copies available anyway. Releasing un-issued quad masters, and releasing them in enough numbers that everyone who want a copy can actually buy it, would bring ithe money rolling in, i would have thought.

OD

My prediction for the next Quadio release:

Beach Boys: Wildflower/Surf's Up (a two-fer)
What's the prediction based on?

I guess you mean Sunflower. I'd prefer Surf's Up by itself, rather than a twofer.

DTS uses data/content compression, not dynamic-range compression, so it's impossible to "hear it working". You may hear differences between a DTS mix and a lossless-format mix, but you won't "hear it working" in real time.

DTS uses compression, and it's easy to hear it working. I do find it interesting that they go to all the trouble of digging out these old masters, then release them watered down instead of allowing them to be heard in as good as quality as possible.

DTS uses data/content compression, not dynamic-range compression, so it's impossible to "hear it working". You may hear differences between a DTS mix and a lossless-format mix, but you won't "hear it working" in real time.

This is an area where people will never agree. Having been in audio since 1970, i know the difference between pure and "compressed" sound, and if you have hearing that is sensative to data compression, then you can hear it easily. Like many, i'm envious of those who are more than happy with DTS/MP3 etc. Me, it put's my e
teeth on edge.

OD

I just got an email from my contact at Rhino, and he says that titles are still being kicked around, but they expect to have an announcement soon. He also says to tell the curious to buy the Aretha Franklin disc (maybe it's not selling as well?).
My own comments:
If you passed on this one, buying it could keep the program going, the suits at Warner are not hesitant to cut anything, as Rhino is exhibit "A".

I just got an email from my contact at Rhino, and he says that titles are still being kicked around, but they expect to have an announcement soon. He also says to tell the curious to buy the Aretha Franklin disc (maybe it's not selling as well?).
My own comments:
If you passed on this one, buying it could keep the program going, the suits at Warner are not hesitant to cut anything, as Rhino is exhibit "A".

Hey, I bought one, but don't you think if they would have chosen a title like "On The Border", "Chicago VII", or "One of These Night", they'd be all gone by now? If they want to guaranty a "sell out", they should pick titles that non-surround fans would buy as collectable items. Broaden the scope, broaden the sales.

Being that the Aretha already exists as a decent-sounding QR and that quality conversions have already been made, it just won't sell as well as something that was only available on a crappy Q8 like the CTA was. Maybe the remaining people at Rhino need to be reminded of this.

Being that the Aretha already exists as a decent-sounding QR and that quality conversions have already been made, it just won't sell as well as something that was only available on a crappy Q8 like the CTA was. Maybe the remaining people at Rhino need to be reminded of this.

Eric,

When John from Rhino posted here, I made it clear that the CTA was welcome because it was an SQ/Q8 only title, and there were multiple posts in "his" thread imploring him to release titles that were not available on quad reel. That's why I am hoping they do NOT release the Doobie Brothers titles (but they probably will) over the Eagles or other releases that were never Q4s. The conversion aspect of the quad community has driven the eBay sell prices of most quad releases way down, and putting out a Quadio title that has been converted to DVD-A with skill will put a damper on sales of the Quadio disc.

Please RHINO, if you want big sales, release stuff from the vault that never saw the light of day, or stuff that was only available on LP and Q8. THAT is the formula for success. A converter cannot make something sound as good as a master sourced release when they're starting out with a Q8 or old vinyl.

Please RHINO, if you want big sales, release stuff from the vault that never saw the light of day, or stuff that was only available on LP and Q8. THAT is the formula for success. A converter cannot make something sound as good as a master sourced release when they're starting out with a Q8 or old vinyl.

I bought the Aretha Disc, reluctantly and after much debate, because I wished to support the format. I certainly agree that many other titles would have had me jumping on it instantly, even in DTS format. The un-issued quad masters would be my first choices, and I second the call for Sabbath-Sabotage. Also, at the risk of being virtually "bitch-slapped" I say release in Blu-Ray!

How about anything? It would show the programs not dead, and a new Quadio release now would be a popular stocking stuffer at WallMart (just kidding...)

I'd imagine the licensing issues with anything Beach Boys would be such a nightmare as to make it un-viable :((

Maybe it's time to rename the thread:
There will be another Rhino Qaudio release?

Back