HiRez Poll King Crimson - IN THE WAKE OF POSEIDON [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of King Crimson - IN THE WAKE OF POSEIDON

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Content, Poor Fidelity

• Total voters
Snood doing a 9

Really enjoyed this more than Court - 5.1 was great and loved the guitar stuff and loved the extra track Groon

Wish the drums were more prominent was only minus.

Really Likey Wakey :spot

Voted "10" - although I'd have to vote the same for all of the Crimson 5.1 releases, honestly. I just have a real affinity for this record. In some ways I like it better than ITCOTKC. It is a shame that "Devil's Triangle" is an upmix, but it certainly is the best of that kind of technique for sure. And it certainly isn't a dealbreaker - the entire experience of Poseidon is all the more shattering in surround. And the same is true of every other release from this series. This and Lizard were the first two I bought and the first I listened to. I found myself laughing out loud at some of the neat surprises in the mix - couldn't have been more pleased with the high level of creativity and attention to detail brought to these 5.1 mixes. Leaves me stunned every time I listen. Cheers!
--------- Chris

Voted "10" - although I'd have to vote the same for all of the Crimson 5.1 releases, honestly. I just have a real affinity for this record. In some ways I like it better than ITCOTKC. It is a shame that "Devil's Triangle" is an upmix, but it certainly is the best of that kind of technique for sure. And it certainly isn't a dealbreaker - the entire experience of Poseidon is all the more shattering in surround. And the same is true of every other release from this series. This and Lizard were the first two I bought and the first I listened to. I found myself laughing out loud at some of the neat surprises in the mix - couldn't have been more pleased with the high level of creativity and attention to detail brought to these 5.1 mixes. Leaves me stunned every time I listen. Cheers!
--------- Chris

Heck yeah. The Crimson 5.1's are just crazy good.

I was very impressed with the surround mix. I was blown away by the immersive feeling of the first few tracks. I kept looking around my room, not knowing what would happen next. That is a good experience.

I'm reviewing the blu ray on the Sailors' Tales box, and even though "The Devil's Triangle" (my least fave song on the LP anyway) is an upmix, I'm still giving it a 9! Not quite as immersive an experience as Lizard, I actually like this album more and am ecstatic about this box!!

The bluray version has the discrete 5.1 SW mix of Mars. I guess there's a little overdub near the end missing? I actually haven't studied it close enough to know. I preferred the original stereo mixes for both this and Court when they were originally released on DVDA. There was also something with the mastering on those DVDAs that had a subdued quality. Something weird happened with the downsample to 48k maybe? (I don't hear such things from 96k -> 48k downsamples... so, who knows. A telltale but also a red herring I imagine.) Whatever the story is there, the bluray with the discrete Mars and in 96k is right on point! And so it the 5.1 Court now mixed from the master multitrack.

Excuse me... "Devil's Triangle" that is.

The early albums aren't my favorites, which is why this was among the last of the 40th Anniversary series I acquired. (And why it probably won't get repeated listenings. Still: worth coming back to for "Cat Food" alone!) When I finally peeled off the shrink wrap, popped the DVD in the Oppo, and began flipping through the booklet, I was momentarily startled by these credits--some version of which (I'd completely forgotten!) appeared in most of the early releases: "DVD QC testing by Jon Urban, Bob Romano, Bob Squires, Patrick Cleasby, Tim McDonnell & Chris Gerhard."

So, 13 years, many surround releases and some setup changes after, how do I feel about this?

When I first heard it, I was astonished and I could not believe that I was hearing all these new details in 3d fashion. Today I am not that impressed, but I still like it.

Don't get me wrong, I still think that is a great mix (especially Cat Food as everyone seems to agree). However, I am not so sure about the sonics, not much detail and a bit lacklustre. The previous and next KC records sound a lot better to me.

This is also not my favourite KC album, but I guess mostly out of comparison: it is kind of ItCotKC part 2, a bit redundant and I miss Greg Lake.

But I still like it so I'll give it an 8. It would have been a 9 in 2010.

Back