HiRez Poll King Crimson - ISLANDS [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of King Crimson - ISLANDS

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Content, Poor Fidelity

• Total voters
The sound quality and surround mix are excellent.
Probably it's me, but musically I find this to be the weakest Crimson in the 40th ann. series up to now.

Probably it's me, but musically I find this to be the weakest Crimson in the 40th ann. series up to now.

Of the four I own, I agree. I like Lizard a little better and Court and Poseidon a lot better. I am going to give this one some time before voting, it is so different that I might eventually like it more as it seems to be popular here. As with all of the four I own, I think a great job was done by all involved with the DVD-A.

The sound quality and surround mix are excellent.

Everybody has their opinion of course but Islands is my second favorite but it has something to do with an evening in college many years ago and a mysterious bit of paper. Left an amazing impression in my mind. Larks' Tongues is definitely number one and I am waiting, waiting, waiting.... I put Lizard at maybe a tie for number two with Islands. I feel fortunate that these have been done so well and made available. I awaited the Genesis sets with much anticipation and they still leave me disappointed.

With so little love for hi rez music thank goodness for Mr. Fripp and all those involved who really have made this a labor of love. I am guessing they are maybe making their investment back, but nobody is getting rich off of these releases but us.

:)

I finally got my copy from Amazon. Fantastic! I sort of waver between liking the surround mix and stereo on a lot of releases. I find myself going back to the stereo mixes a lot of the time. Even Lizard I might prefer the stereo mix. With Islands it really seems like the surround mix is how the music was meant to be listened to. It opens up a panorama of sound that is truly enveloping. I love it!

Now, the waiting starts for Larks Tongues....

All of the banter is depressing.:(

I gave up waiting for my copy to arrive. Almost three months has gone by since I placed my order and verified that it shipped and all I can do is read reviews.:mad:

After talking numerous times with customer service at Burning Shed, I have decided to place my second order as this sounds like one wonderful effort by all involved.

Patiently waiting to join your enthusiam.:smokin

I am so sorry. I feel your PAIN! Seems like us hi rez fans spend a lot of time waiting. Worth it for sure with Islands. fantastic! Now the waiting starts for Lark's Tongues...

will it ever end????

amazon has it in stock for $18.59.

Well Frantic, I finally received my copy from my brick & mortar buddy on Saturday, so don't give up hope...I pick up Poseidon tonight also. After two run-throughs I have to admit that the surround mix is awesome, perhaps the best of the KC releases to date, an easy 10. I actually prefer the music here over Lizard, so I give it a 9 overall.....not my favorite King Crimson, but not the least engrossing either. Oh yeah, I like the extra tidbits that were included.

Neal- Are there any more video bits floating around that we might eventualy see, such as came on Red?? John S.

Neal- Are there any more video bits floating around that we might eventualy see, such as came on Red?? John S.

There are certainly supposed to be....it's all down to getting usable masters from the various 3rd parties involved.
Complicated ain't the word!
But yes, there are some seriously good things lined up in this series.

Wonderful! Just rec'd Islands and Poseidon via Amazon for $16 and change and once again I'm over the moon at experiencing these albums in this format. Kudos to all involved. I rated it a 9, just because I would have preferred a less dry mix of instruments on the title track as it is an ethereal and haunting piece. Nonetheless, this has been a real treat revisiting the work as a whole album experience in surround.

... I rated it a 9, just because I would have preferred a less dry mix of instruments on the title track as it is an ethereal and haunting piece. ....
You probably know this, but the Maestro Frippster is a self proclaimed "reverbaphobic"-so all the early 70's stuff that used to have it will not anymore...can't say I can blame him , though....reverb is like noise reduction-a very dangerous thing in the wrong hands....

You probably know this, but the Maestro Frippster is a self proclaimed "reverbaphobic"-so all the early 70's stuff that used to have it will not anymore...can't say I can blame him , though....reverb is like noise reduction-a very dangerous thing in the wrong hands....

He may have described himself that way, but in fact one of the great pleasures of revisiting these albums in surround (for me) is hearing the exquisite modulation of ambience. I just have two little nits to pick: the oboe and cornet are just aching for a little something, but I know this is by design.

After patiently waiting for delivery after a long ordeal, I finally have my copy.
A solid, solid 10 !!

My favorites are "The Letters", and "Ladies of the Road" what beautiful separation of channels.
One of the most interesting parts that I would love more of is when the song "Islands" ends and the disc plays silently for about a minute and then this wonderful surround mix of studio warm up starts. It actually sounds like you are there with them. Very real! I could have listened to an entire disc of that material in 5.1.

Thanks to all who made this happen. This is my favorite of the five so far.:smokin

After patiently waiting for delivery after a long ordeal, I finally have my copy.
A solid, solid 10 !!

My favorites are "The Letters", and "Ladies of the Road" what beautiful separation of channels.
One of the most interesting parts that I would love more of is when the song "Islands" ends and the disc plays silently for about a minute and then this wonderful surround mix of studio warm up starts. It actually sounds like you are there with them. Very real! I could have listened to an entire disc of that material in 5.1.

Thanks to all who made this happen. This is my favorite of the five so far.:smokin
"The Letters" is an absolutely stunning piece and IMHO a highlight in the KC catalog. Just so powerful on so many levels. And the surround mix just takes it into the stratosphere.

There are certainly supposed to be....it's all down to getting usable masters from the various 3rd parties involved.
Complicated ain't the word!
But yes, there are some seriously good things lined up in this series.

Great to hear! Do you know if some more live improvs from 1972-1974 have been mixed in 5.1 as bonus tracks for the rereleases of Larks' and Starless & Bible Black?

My first listening to this was the CD, in the convertible with the top down, and I was still floored! The opening string bass parts in "Formentara Lady" got me thinking about upgrading my rear speakers (JBL HLS610's) as they had trouble keeping up (or going down as the case may be). The dynamic contrast throughout is one of the hallmarks of this album, and this mix really brings them out. The cymbals have an amazing "metallic" sound to them that I've rarely heard in other recordings, and the cacophony that comes in halfway through "The Letter" with the baritone sax and saturated guitar lines echoes the pain of the story that comes across "impaled on nails of ice".

Two huge thumbs up!

WHEW!!!!
As a first time listener of this and ITWOP (which I'll post my thoughts later)...
I AM BLOWN AWAY (and it takes quite a bit to do so)
Musically it is something out of left field after ITWOP (which as another member noted here, sounds like a "copy" -a good one though- of ITCOTKC, but with one of the songs that have freaked me out the most in my whole life "The Devil's Triangle"...no wonder they never found the multis for these -wouldn't be surprised if the devil himself took them with him).
Very rich, new exciting territory covered and ...almost no gtr on the first side...The instrumental is brilliant......and of course the cover photo of the Triffid Nebula is great...one of the cases where I wish the"jewel case" was LP sized...
need a few more listens to appreciate the extra tracks...
A SOLID 10 (2 enthusiastic thumbs up!)
Excellent work everyone!!!
Money VERY well spent!!!!

This album keeps growing on me the more I listen to it I just love 'Formetera Lady' and then 'Sailors tail' with its outragious guitar solo. The beautiful Islands itself great stuff.

Back