HiRez Poll King Crimson - ISLANDS [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of King Crimson - ISLANDS

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Content, Poor Fidelity

• Total voters
Good for you! Islands is a revelation! I had some experiences with it back in the day, in college, that are forever burned into my brain. I am exercising my non-completionist pride by not buying WOP. that is the one album that I can do without.

Anxiously awaiting word on the next batch!

At first, I thought I was going to abstain from both Lizard and Islands, being my least favorites. But now I will end up with all of them. :)

I agree with all the accolades about how well this disc was done and all the bonus material. I just go back and forth as to whether I really like the music or not. When I had the vinyl years ago I felt the same way.

Wow, this album is uneven! :mad:@: Some parts are really struggling, some are fantastic. I definitely do not regret buying it, though. Musically it points more to frippertronics and Fripp's playing in the late 70's than to Larks.

Great to have, and great extras as well. The sound is also excellent, feels like all dynamics are preserved. Still has to vote acording to the other records, so an 8 for me.

I'll probably play this more than I thought. :)

Does anyone else hear a high-pitched noise in the track Islands? It starts somewhere around 6 minutes into the song. It sounds like my ear is ringing, but it's coming from the left speaker (on stereo). I've tested both CD and DVD-A and they both have it. Anyone else have this issue?

Other than that, the new mix (CD and stereo DVD-A played on DVD Video player) sound amazing. Islands was always one of my favourite albums. The only extra track I've listened to are A Peacemaking Stint Unrolls and Islands with Oboe Prominent. Amazing stuff!

Another unbelievable job on the surround mix. Holy cow....just astounds me how great this older stuff can sound when it's opened up.

10!

I gave this an 8. Many QQers like this album, but, of the 4 Peter Sinfield era albums, I feel this is the weakest. The material sounds disjointed and just thrown together. If memory serves, Fripp didn't know if there would still be a KC after this album (luckily KC came back with the exceptional Bruford/Wetton incarnations). Prelude:Song Of The Gulls is a nice piece but doesn't seem to belong here, and none of the tunes really grab me. My biggest saving grace is Mel Collins' saxes. I could listen to his baritone sax riffs all day.

That being said, I rate about 6 for content, but 10 for the fidelity, and 10 for the surround. I know that averages to an 8.6 but in this case I have to round down, so 8 it is.

Last edited:
Truthfully, I bought this to support SW & progressive music in 5.1 HIFI. Crimson is too atonal for me but I am enjoying more KC as I go along.
I do love the 1st KC album, however...

Sound here is flawless. This is what 5.1 should be.

This one was tough for me... on first listen, the first song reminded me of a bad acid trip; the "Sailor's Tale" solo sounded like chaos; "Ladies of the Road" was love at first listen, "Prelude" didn't seem to belong on this album, and "Islands" put me to sleep... but like all great progressive music, something kept calling me back for "just one more listen"... and eventually I "got it"! Now, "Formentera Lady" takes me on an ethereal psychedelic journey; the "Sailor's Tale" solo blows my mind and brings a smile to my face; "Ladies Of The Road" continues to make me wish it reminded me of a cherished personal memory; "Prelude" is simply a beautiful classical piece that I enjoy every time; and my mind just relaxes with "Islands" mellowness. The fidelity is great and the mix is discrete, enveloping Steven Wilson all the way. 8.

So tempted to give this thing a poor rating. Like 6 maybe. I just don't like "noodly" tracks.
This period of KC finds them very noodly, indeed.
Still, something provoked me to pick up this DVD-A. It was the track "Islands." I love it in stereo and it shines brighter in surround.
It elevates the album for me too, which has other high points. This isn't as good as KC gets for me, though.
Because of content, I find it hard to be willing to rate this one much above the 7 or 8 range.
Still, regardless of the exact poll rating, get this! It's weird and pretty cool.

I played 'Formantera Lady/Sailor's Tale" the other night.... it still sounded brilliant. A/B'ing between the old stereo mix and the new 5.1 mix was startling -- a massive improvement in clarity, without loss of crucial atmosphere and 'feel'.

(Of course there's an apples-to-watermelons aspect to comparing 5.1 to 2.0 ...except that a surround mix, for me, does NOT always trump a 2.0. Steven Wilsons's Yes 5.1 remixes for CttE and Relayer, played on the same night, still sounded wrong compared to Offord's stereo mixes. Whereas for me, the only KC remix that Wilson didn't hit out of the ballpark was Red, a sparser and more unforgiving album overall.)

I love this album and the remix, both stereo and surround. Among the KC 40th anniversary releases, this is probably the one with most extras.
It's not an exemplar remix (like Larks', Lizard, Discipline or Thrak) but I'd recommend it.
I'd give it a 9, but I'm voting 8 because an alternate cornet take was used to remix the title track (starting at about 2:30). I don't necessarily think this is an inferior take, it's just different.

As with the others in this series, fantastic mix and sound, copious extras, and informative notes/lyrics. Some of Crimson's most beautiful melodies are found here and Ladies of the Road even sees KC getting a bit lascivious...who'd have thought?

Can't believe I hadn't voted on this! ISLANDS is one of my favorite KCs simply for the first side and its haunting take on Homer (well, it mentions Odysseus and has a siren! Judy Dyble was considered as a vocalist at one point, I remember reading, and recorded this bit). Great album for a stormy day.

Sinfield's love of the Med shows through the lyrics, but his flowery style may finally have alienated Fripp, who dropped him after this point.

I gave this a "9" as I never have really warmed to the "Song of the Seagull." Can't say why, I just haven't. I find it filler like "The Talking Drum" on the next album.

Last edited:
Back