Requesting Updates for the Quad Video Discography

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Anderson

Staff member
Requesting Updates for the Quad Video Discography

I am requesting any updates you would like to have added to the Anthology/Sampler Discography including corrections.

If the title is new please include the following

1. Artist
2. Title of video
3. label
4. Catalog number
5. Quadraphonic format (QS, SQ, CD4, UMX)
6. Country of origin (U.S., U.K, etc.) since catalog
numbers change with country of origin

I will create separate threads for the other discographies for updates.

I have seen that KENNY LOGGINS - Alive (1982) is rumored to be SQ. I have listened to a fan made DVD Audio disc and am impressed with how it sounds. I am also intrigued with the fact that Bruce Botnick is listed as the Engineer, Mixing, Producer on the original album. We know he was involved with some Doors quad recordings and also "Dreams" - A CBS T.V. series produced by Bruce Botnick that was recorded in Ambisonics as reported in Pro Sound News in 1984.
I wonder if the original LP is also SQ and if not what difference can one hear between that recording and the video to confirm a different mix. I also wonder about the time period it was recorded and the video released as it predates the other quad videos we know of as mentioned in the MCS article on the quad video discography page.
There are also DVD's released of "Alive" in 5.1 Dolby digital. The first issued in '92 and another in '98 outside of the U.S. Market. I wonder if these are legit and what is contained on the Dolby 2.0 soundtrack.

I would appreciate your input on how this rumor came about and why you think that it is true or not.

I have seen that KENNY LOGGINS - Alive (1982) is rumored to be SQ. I have listened to a fan made DVD Audio disc and am impressed with how it sounds. I am also intrigued with the fact that Bruce Botnick is listed as the Engineer, Mixing, Producer on the original album. We know he was involved with some Doors quad recordings and also "Dreams" - A CBS T.V. series produced by Bruce Botnick that was recorded in Ambisonics as reported in Pro Sound News in 1984.
I wonder if the original LP is also SQ and if not what difference can one hear between that recording and the video to confirm a different mix. I also wonder about the time period it was recorded and the video released as it predates the other quad videos we know of as mentioned in the MCS article on the quad video discography page.
There are also DVD's released of "Alive" in 5.1 Dolby digital. The first issued in '92 and another in '98 outside of the U.S. Market. I wonder if these are legit and what is contained on the Dolby 2.0 soundtrack.

I would appreciate your input on how this rumor came about and why you think that it is true or not.

I no longer have a 2 US LP set of Kenny Loggins Alive, after replacing it with with a 2 CD set.

I also own a US release of Pioneer Artists DVD PA-98-576-D. It is DEFINITELY LEGITIMATE. It is in a standard CD case, packaged in a cardboard sleeve. It was purchased new in '00 and has a '98 Pioneer copyright date ('81 Kenny Loggins Productions.)
DVD:
968.jpg

As time permits, I'll try to report back as to whether the DVD 2 ch mix and CD are SQ encoded. The DVD is 5.1, but not a very active mix.

PS: Likely Ty (Disclord) has a LaserDisc of it, if you need to verify the LD. And he has great decoders. The Pioneer LD has two different packages:
Japan original release:
$(KGrHqN,!k8FGkL5WfkHBR)jvWimuQ~~60_35.JPG

US:
mpvFJMyVBLMzVH7tRzxOJgw.jpg

Thanks Quad Linda. I am curious how it came to be suspect of being encoded, Was it an accident or was it reported some where? Hum..................

Back