HiRez Poll Petty, Tom - DAMN THE TORPEDOES [Blu-Ray DTS-HD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Tom Petty - DAMN THE TORPEDOES

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Mix, Poor Content

• Total voters
Never owned it back in the day, but familiar with the multiple hits that came off this album. It's fun to have new surround where half the material is like an old friend.

Had to go with a 9 because while the fidelity is terrific, the surround format was under-utilized. Not keen on the packaging either, will take care handling for now.

Sorry for the duplicate post but I realized that I first put this comment on the wrong thread.

Found mine at my local Border's - a nice surprise as I had a 40% off Border's Bucks coupon plus an additional 10% Border Plus - came to $13.49. Very happy. Not bothered by the cardboard sleeve or the logos at the beginning. Sounds great for what it was - great album plus great bonus tracks all in lossless 5.1 - a very "you are there" mix. Wide soundstage with great presence. I gave it a 10. We really need one of the majors to step it up and go with BD audio - release 10 or so titles at once - and not the same old same old - come on UME you can do it!

I got mine, eventually, from Amazon UK and it cost me £8.95! The sound is great and it's nice to see all the bonus material (and it's really very good indeed) treated to hi-res surround too. I have one, very minor, quibble though, the spoken line "...it's just the normal noises around here..." is quieter in the surround mix than I remember...as I said, a very minor quibble. I'm OK with the 5.1 mix, although the rears could have been used more, it's still pretty immersive. I'd give it a 9.

If only this disc were available in stores[making it an Amazon exclusive was a dumb move imho].

I think maybe some stores accidently ordered this when they meant to order the 2 CD version, or that "Making Of" video. They wouldn't have stocked it intentionally. They probably don't even know what it is.

Finally arrived and after a few listen-throughs (yes, it's one of those that you just spin again and again and again...) I'm ready to opine. I'd call it uneven in an interesting way. There are tracks like "Century City" that sound a little like multispeaker stereo, followed by "Don't Do Me Like That" where the mix is more extreme, almost dwindling into audible phase shifts. My favorite mix is on one of the extras, " Surrender". All in all a highly enjoyable surround album, and the carton packing is something I can live with. A clear 9 from me, and it leaves me with a crave for more TP reissues.

I finally got ahold of this disc today and it was well worth the wait.....I gave it a 10 btw.[the next album they should do imho is Full Moon Fever]

Just got a Blu-Ray player for Christmas, and the first thing I did was order this title from Amazon (after looking for it with no luck at Fry's, Best Buy and a local independent). Just two days later, it was in my player and being examined at loud amplitude :)

LOVE this disc! Great album, great music, great performances, excellent (not spectacular) surround mix. I wish the mix were just a little more active, but it's certainly not disappointing the way it is. It's noticeably discrete where it's intended to be, but the mixer's intent was obviously to provide a more subtle surround experience, and it succeeds in doing so.

I sure hope more artists begin releasing things in Blu-Ray.

I tried this disk in a Panasonic BDP10A, which is the machine I reserve for dvd-audio disks and after the disk loads it just says "NoPlay". Tried it twice. I put in a regular Blu-ray movie, and it played so I know the machine can still play Blu-ray.

Narcopolo,
Have you tried updating the firmware on your player? I had the same thing happen to me when I played this album. Enjoyed this release much more than Mojo.

The mix here is different than Mojo, more discreet use of the rear channels, though not anywhere close to Flaming Lips territory. I was very happy to rediscover this album, as I had gotten rid of the original vinyl years ago. I thouroughly enjoy Ryan Ulate's mix here - lots of different textures that reveal some of the craftsmanship that went into this recording. I did notice that Mike Campbell's little 3-note signature run that comes right after Petty sings "Don't do me like that" is somewhat more recessed or not quite as prominent or clarion-like in this mix. I missed that from what I remember of the vinyl. The bonus cuts are fine too - I especially like the alternate version of "Refugee".
9 of 10 for me.

I gave it a 10. It's pretty hard not to; it sounds great, has a very good mix that is suitable for the music and it exists. This is probably his best album too (though I've probably only heard a few of his all the way through). My only complaint is that when I hear it I keep wanting him to tear loose a bit. I saw them in concert on the Full Moon Fever tour and they played a Clash cover, so I know they have it in them...

For those of you with a Harmony (mine is an 880) the steps are:
1. Once disc is inserted wait for it to cycle through the adds (or press the skip buttom until you get through them).
2. Press the "right arrow" button. Mine is on the center circle that surrounds the "OK" and includes left/right/up/down arrows.
3. Press Down arrow.
4. Press Down Arrow.
5. Press the OK button (for some it may be enter).
6. Press Left Arrow.
7. Press OK.

Thats it. I have worked it in the blind multiple times.

One benefit if they issued a DVD-Audio of this you wouldn't have these problems - as you can easily go straight to Group 1, Track 1 on a DVD-Audio just by hitting "Play"..(y)

This is a front-3 mix: the left, center, and right do 80% of the work. The rears add depth but serve a background role. If you try to turn them up to the same level as the fronts/center the overall mix does not sound right. Aside from that this is an enjoyable listening experience. This is my second DTS-HD MA disc and I'm starting to believe that this format is better than anything previous. There is a fullness to the instruments that is very satisfying to listen to and never seemed to be there before. However I might have to chalk that up to my hardware because I have separate dvd-a/sacd (Pioneer DV-79AVi) and Blu-ray (Panasonic DMP-BD85) players. But the DST-HD MA sounds great on Aqualung and Damn the Torpedoes. Grace for Drowning is in the mail. Bottom line - DTT sounds wonderful just don't expect a complete surround experience. Gave it an 8.

Just recently got a blu ray player and my copy of Damn the Torpedoes arrived today. I'm just previewing it now. The beginning of Louisiana Rain with that around the room sfx at the start just scared the crap out of my cat. :) Will give my rating as soon as I've had a chance to preview the entire disc, but so far, I'm loving it.

I think what I enjoy most about this release is that it's a classic rock album that previously was never released on surround. So many of the classic multi channel releases are titles that were originally released in quad in the 70's. While those new releases can be a vast improvement on the originals, it's just great to get the opportunity to hear a record given multi channel treatment for the first time. I was never a giant Petty fan, but I do like his music. This album has some great songs on it. They have some fun with the surround mix in spots and the overall presentation is an enjoyable listen. Because it's multi channel, because it's a classic album with great hits, I give it a 10.

An "8".

Lovely fidelity, nice enough mix (not discrete enough for me tho).. the songs are classic and the whole package is rather nice.

Not one I play very often, however, as its such a PITA without the tv on to navigate but apart from that solid and just a shame it didn't mark the start of a new format for us surround-heads. Ah well..

I just got this & need to spin it another time or two before voting, though my first impression is very good. One thing that I did notice on this one is that it sounds great from the sweet spot, but sounds more out of synch than some of my other surround titles when you are not in the sweet spot (if that makes any sense)...

Back