HiRez Poll Petty, Tom - DAMN THE TORPEDOES [Blu-Ray DTS-HD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Tom Petty - DAMN THE TORPEDOES

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Mix, Poor Content

• Total voters
Music: 8.5
Mix: 7.0
Sonics: 9.0

Wow, great job on this one! Definitely better than Mojo on all fronts. First, I would highly encourage everyone to stick to the 5.1 PCM mix over the slightly compressed (and lower bit rate) DTS-MA option. I thought the music breathes much better with the PCM mix.

This is a great example of how a 5.1 mix elevates even a standard few frills rock album. There seems to be a common perception that 5.1 is only useful for more electronic/densely layered music and this release stones that argument down. The mix really captures the atmosphere and energy of this album. The keyboards are brought to the forefront and the crystaline sonics are really impressive! Love the placement of the instruments in the mix.
Minor complaint: the album is a tad bass shy.

A solid 9. Already pre-ordered Hypnotic Eye.

As much as I want to give this a 10, I love the album.
the BDA is sonically perfect, I have to agree a little more aggressive mix would have made it a more exciting, having said that the mix is wide and full and works really well with the music as a whole and it sounds fantastic. I give this a strong 9

Listened to this recently and the mix wasn't as underwhelming as I remembered. When I first heard it I would've rated the mix (in terms of use of the 5.1 sound field) as a 6 maybe, now I might give it a 7 or 7.5

Incidentally, it was frustration with the authoring of this disc that prompted me to learn how to rip all my discs to FLAC files - the two minutes of logos and other garbage you have to go through to listen to this disc are ridiculous.

This is a hard one to vote on because the music is 10, but the surround mix is lacking. So I vote an 8 overall.

Fantastic songs throughout with pristine, crystal clear, and dynamic sound, but an ultra-conservative surround mix bordering on "Big Stereo" (this seems to be par for Petty's surround discs so far). Still, this surround mix gives the music a full, rich sound that is a big improvement over the stereo mix... But not big enough for me to go higher than 7. (And sitting through all those intro screens is maddening!)

Great classic rock album - sounds very good, dynamic and detailed - but the surround mix is a let down. I rate it at 8!

I also gave it a nine. A really good mix of a great album, I had to deduct a point for the authoring. All of the corporate splash screens were mentioned. I don't mind them so much, but they could have been half as long. Points that they didn't have audio. But then the menu does have audio, so those points get taken back. The menuing is wonky, some features work as you listen, others don't. Worst is the terribly unimaginative "screen saver" visual presentation. Why not use all of the photos which are in a different section of the disc instead of a bouncing logo? Just terrible.

for what ever reason , i had never heard Casa Dega .
with the lyrics from the insert , its now become my favorite Tom Petty song.

the fidelity and mixing in 5.1 is incredible .

i agree the paper jackets are the worst , so i phonyied this up so it stacks with my others
Always loved Casa Dega, I had it for years on a UK 12" 45 single with incredible sound quality. So to get in in surround at such a late point in time is a nice treat. This has to be his finest rare B-Side track.

I'd go with a 9 here. The sound quality is stunning and shows of the production and band chemistry exceptionally well.

What I like to do with rock albums that I have heard many times before, is to lower front L and front R channels to almost zero, and just let center and back L & R work louder together. It reveals the album in new ways. Played this way spotlights the piano and guitar overdubs if you are into that sort of thing like I am. And the disc delivers there. Vocals never fail to stay up and over everything and drums are very present as well with a mix like this one played back with fronts very low. Really impressed with the new found clarity. Benmont Tench is brilliant.

Back