HiRez Poll Petty, Tom - DAMN THE TORPEDOES [Blu-Ray DTS-HD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Tom Petty - DAMN THE TORPEDOES

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Mix, Poor Content

• Total voters
Be sure to deduct a point or two for the flimsy paper packaging. And what was it Petty said about doing more titles? Well that never happened.

for what ever reason , i had never heard Casa Dega .
with the lyrics from the insert , its now become my favorite Tom Petty song.

the fidelity and mixing in 5.1 is incredible .

i agree the paper jackets are the worst , so i phonyied this up so it stacks with my others

Attachments

• IMG_4809.jpg
    IMG_4809.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 267
I really like the MFSL pressing but I love the BDA!! The separation is fabulous and I love that you can hear the picking of the strings on some of the riffs it's like having the band in your living room.

i agree the paper jackets are the worst , so i phonyied this up so it stacks with my others

Did you cut up the blu-ray packaging or create something from scratch (scan and print?) ?

i used sites like CD COVERS and i've got a ton of SLEEVE CITY dvd audio cases ,

their SACD's cases dont stay closed

If I could have the opportunity to revote on this one, I would go slightly lower (from a 10 to a 9), cause honestly, I find a lot of the mix to have that "big stereo" sound to it rather than a truly discrete presentation. Mix-wise, they saved the best for last with "Louisiana Rain". I also found "Here Comes My Girl" and "You Tell Me" to be standouts too.
Nice that UMe got behind this release and it's out for us to enjoy. :)

Couldn't agree more! How in heaven could Casa Dega not be included on the original album. It is better than all the other songs imho with the sole exception for Refugee. And the fidelity and 5.1-mix on Casa Dega is as good as it gets. It is one of the first reference demo tracks I reach for when I want to demo lossless multichannel music at home.

Please p[ost your thoughts and comments on this surround sound issue of the Classic Rock Album "Damn the Torpedoes" from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

(y):phones(n)

Are ALL of the copies "Region : ALL", even the USA ones?
(In amaz*n, it says for the US one that it's Region 1/A....)
My BD player will only play the Region 2 (Europe)

Anybody??

Thanks....

Are ALL of the copies "Region : ALL", even the USA ones?
(In amaz*n, it says for the US one that it's Region 1/A....)
My BD player will only play the Region 2 (Europe)

Anybody??

Thanks....

I got my copies of Dam The Torpedoes & Mojo from amazon.co.uk, and my Denon is Region 2 only as well, they both play the without any issues.

Dam The Torpedoes, B0014775-59 (60252749012)
Mojo, 9362-49667-6

I've just looked at them and they both come with FLAC downloads which I never realised before!

Thanks DuncanS!, but I still am doubting what you are referring to (can't find those numbers in the amaz*n pages....
well, I see that the version in .com(ASIN: B003RIBQE6) for $16.78
and the .co.uk one (ASIN: B0042KZJ50) is 23.99 GBP.
The image posted by Jon shows "ALL REGION", what does yours say?

I got my Damn The T's BDA from Amazon UK (not a marketplace 3rd party but Amazon UK themselves) and its the US version with FBI Warning legal info etc on rear (UPC/EAN 6 02527 49401 2 / Catalogue No. B0014775-59) but it plays no problem in my Region B-locked BDP.

Thanks DuncanS!, but I still am doubting what you are referring to (can't find those numbers in the amaz*n pages....
well, I see that the version in .com(ASIN: B003RIBQE6) for $16.78
and the .co.uk one (ASIN: B0042KZJ50) is 23.99 GBP.
The image posted by Jon shows "ALL REGION", what does yours say?

Hi Kapn'n

I just went back and looked at my amazon.co.uk order from 2010

This is the disc I ordered in 2010, still available at about £24.

Product details

Blu-ray Audio (22 Nov 2010)
Number of Discs: 1
Format: Blu-ray
Label: Commercial Marketing
ASIN: B0042KZJ50

The package has the region symbol ALL.

CCF15092013_0000 - Copy.jpg

Scanned album.

CCF15092013_0000 (2048x1272).jpg

Hope that helps.

Duncan

Thanks for your help guys....inexplicably. .co.uk LOWERED the price from 27.99 GBP to 13.00GBP between yesterday and today...order placed!
Heads up too!!

Cheers,
:smokin

Right...listened to it a couple of times now and I don't think I need to wait anymore for my verdict. (LPCM MCH)

The Sound:
The sound is one of the most crystalline I've EVER heard, especially on the LIVE songs.
The s/n ratio here is a lot, although this kind of music is basically "up there" all the time.
So , as they state on their liner notes , this sucker is "Good Soundkeeping" crankeable certified...I'd bet a LOT that no compressors were used to mix down this baby (yes, the compressors used for voices and instruments are still there in the Multis , but none on the mix bus), and , if it was compressed , it barely "touched" the signal.
A 10 for sound quality.

The Music;
No, I had NEVER heard this whole album before, just the hits , ma'am... and it is a VERY solid effort overall, a definite 10.

The mix:
Welllllll, here is where it all starts to get shaky....aside from reverbs , keyboards and the occasional back vox(EDIT: I forgot, some intros with weird sounds are also in the rears)...those are the rears, in a nutshell...
BUT,
I should add that the overall effect (bubble) is quite efficient, so..a 7.

The package;
Interesting cardboard with no "sleeve" or death grip holder , only a "slip in" pocket (I already put mine in a nice plastic one), great liner notes , etc...a 7..

Highly recommendable...
a total of 8.

Thanks for your help guys....inexplicably. .co.uk LOWERED the price from 27.99 GBP to 13.00GBP between yesterday and today...order placed!
It's gone down some more. Bought mine from the same site 3 years ago for £7.49

I bought two. One is still sealed of course.

Jon this thread should be moved to the Hi-Rez Spotlight Discs section as it's Audio only! :)

Edit: wow…that was quick! :)

Just threw this on after not hearing it for a long time. Yes, those rears are much too weak. The sound isn't full like a good 5.1 mix is full. From what I was hearing I could imagine what it should sound like but it didn't.

I finally got the correct disc, not the making of, but the real DTT disc. I liked this for as long as I have known who Tom Petty was and even more now in surround. I hope more artists take notice and release their collection in hi rez surround.

Back