Columbia SQD101 - 7" Sampler from the CBS Technology Center

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Found this listing on eBay, it was a 'Buy It Now' for $50. (Anyone here get it?)
The seller posted some decent pictures, so I grabbed them for this thread so this disc can be documented at QQ. I had never heard of it before. I would assume that it's pretty rare, and that the buyer got a good deal. Here are the pictures posted from the auction:

SQ EP 1.jpg
SC EP 2.jpg
SQ EP 0.jpg
SQ EP 3.jpg
SQ EP 4.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/BARBRA-STREISAND-Santana-CBS-SQ-QUAD-DEMO-7-LP-Booklet-/130451777857

Note they list "Sly and the Family Stone - There's a Riot Going on" as 'Coming Soon'.

Still waiting...................... :D

Some considerations:
- Rock On and The Way We Were are 1973 releases, so this sampler is not something that was released at the beginning of Columbia quad era, which was 1972.
- The back cover clarify that "Bitches brew" was NOT available on 8 track, once for all.
- There is a "coming soon" Bob Dylan: which one? "Nashville Skyline" does have a title. Something else?
- There is listed a Laura Nyro - and it wasn't a "coming soon". Released and deleted very quickly for some reason?
- Where in the world has been released "Riot going on" in quad????? :) Probably a planned title but never done?
- It's the n-th time that some tracks from Santana I (evil ways) surfaces on a demo and that wasn't released in quad before 1974. Crazy people at Columbia.... never understood why holding this title for a long time on the storage dept.

I have the impression that the cover is kinda older than the disc, as if it belongs to a previously-released disc in 1972 (a SQD 100?) and reused for another "demo disc" one year later. The cover itself is totally unrelated to the songs on the disc and by 1973 some titles showed as "coming soon" as Santana 3 and BS&T were already out on the market.

That's what I found interesting as well, that "Bitches Brew" was not available on 8 track. I know a few members here have been looking for it for years.

Sly & the Family Stone's "There's a Riot Goin' On" Quadraphonic, did it get a release # number? Would they even announce such a thing if it wasn't already a completed mix? It would be interesting to go through Columbia/Sony's vaults. I suspect there are a lot of unreleased Quad material there.

It would be interesting to go through Columbia/Sony's vaults. I suspect there are a lot of unreleased Quad material there.

I think that's a given what with the Mike Robin reels that have surfaced lately. Johnny Winter, White Trash, Child is Father, etc.

I'm equally surprised to both see this listed (never seen it mentioned anywhere before) and that it remains either incomplete or unreleased. It was a million-seller upon it's original release. I'd be curious about the multitracks themselves though. Was this not the album that Sly repeatedly wiped overdubbed tracks? Even my stereo LP of this album is pretty hissy. I'd be willing to bet the multi's are pretty worn and haphazardly arranged.

That's what I found interesting as well, that "Bitches Brew" was not available on 8 track. I know a few members here have been looking for it for years.

Sly & the Family Stone's "There's a Riot Goin' On" Quadraphonic, did it get a release # number? Would they even announce such a thing if it wasn't already a completed mix? It would be interesting to go through Columbia/Sony's vaults. I suspect there are a lot of unreleased Quad material there.

When we got into Sony Special Markets for the DTS releases, they were all digitalized already, and that is 15 years ago. It may be time for special markets to be contacted again, someone take the plunge!

Back