Pioneeer 563 suddenly won't play SACD layer

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eggplant

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
After moving to new location, any SACD I put in plays as a CD.
Setup is set to play SACD in multichannel mode.
I upgraded the firmware a few years ago.

Ideas?

I recently had the same problem with my 563 - would only read the CD layer of of a hybrid SACD disc. This worked for me and is very simple - take off the top cover, remove (carefully of course) the protective covering over the laser lens. Get some canned air (easily had at your local Radio Shack/Electronic store) spray the lens thoroughly to get all the dust and anything else that may have come loose when you moved - do not touch the lens with your finger. Reassemble and voila!

Hope this works for you - it did for me.

Hmmm . . . thanks for the suggestion, but frankly sounds like something I could really f up. Is this protective covering like a sticky label -- like the silvery one found on a little bottle of mouthwash in a hotel room (only clear)? Doesn't it have to be replaced? Can I air-dust the lens without removing it first?

Sorry if these questions sound dumb, but I'm a laser-lens cleaning virgin.

Really not as precarious as it might sound. All you need is a phillips head screwdriver - a small tip is best. No sticky labels - just remove the outer cover (4 screws - 2 on the side/2 on the back) - then front and center you will see the disc carriage - there is a small protective cover that sits right over the lens - again, easily removed - 2 screws. You can try and clean the lens without removing it - just seems simpler (and more effective) to remove the cover. But either way it is a 15 minute procedure. Remember - there are no dumb questions - good luck and remember to wear a condom;)

Finally got around to doing the surgery.

Your screw count was a little low for the outside cover -- it's *seven* on back, two side.
Once inside, it seemed your screw count was low again -- only one screw held down the right side of the lens cover.
After I got that off, I saw why -- there's a left screw missing!

Blasted the lens a few times (it recoiled defensively), then tried to replace the cover.
Something had held it in place the first time -- those plastic snaps on the left maybe?
Tried to put it back but it was still lose. Powering it up, it said LOADING . . .

. . . and then . . . it . . . started SPINNING WILDLY OUT OF CONTROL, LIKE A METALLIC TASMANIAN DEVIL!
HELP JANE -- STOP THIS CRAZY THING!

Hope I didn't wreck it.

Assuming the left side of the lens cover is supposed to be held down only by that missing screw, where can I find one?
Think Pioneer will still stock it?

-- In Pieces in CA

Finally got around to doing the surgery.

Your screw count was a little low for the outside cover -- it's *seven* on back, two side.
Once inside, it seemed your screw count was low again -- only one screw held down the right side of the lens cover.
After I got that off, I saw why -- there's a left screw missing!

You must have a different Pioneer 563 then I do! There is definitely not 7 screws on the back

Blasted the lens a few times (it recoiled defensively), then tried to replace the cover.
Something had held it in place the first time -- those plastic snaps on the left maybe?
Tried to put it back but it was still lose. Powering it up, it said LOADING . . .

. . . and then . . . it . . . started SPINNING WILDLY OUT OF CONTROL, LIKE A METALLIC TASMANIAN DEVIL!
HELP JANE -- STOP THIS CRAZY THING!

Hope I didn't wreck it.

Assuming the left side of the lens cover is supposed to be held down only by that missing screw, where can I find one?
Think Pioneer will still stock it?

-- In Pieces in CA

OK - are you sure you have a Pioneer DV 563A? Here is a step by step including photos. My total screw count is correct, however I was wrong about 2 things - there are 3 screws on the back, and 2 on the side - making 5 total for the cover and 1 screw inside to remove the carriage cover. That's it - here are the photos and instructions;

1. Back Cover - remove 3 screws - identified as "1", "2" & "3" in the picture;

563 back.jpg

2. Remove screws (2) on each side for a total of 5. View the inside of the unit

Inside1.jpg

3. Locate screw on carriage/laser cover on the left notated as "1"

inside 2.jpg

Lift cover up and to the right over tabs A & B. See removed cover with screw

inside 3.jpg

Clean laser (blue glass lens above the word laser) with canned air.

inside 4.jpg

Just assemble in reverse.

Not sure what you did but if you do indeed have this same unit, you definitely removed a few too many screws. Basically 6 total screws. 15 minutes top with a philips head screwdriver.

elmer,

Thanks for the great pics!

Did I say 563? Oops -- I meant 578A.
No matter: Aside from the screw differential (mine does indeed have two extra screws, one on each side holding the back plate), your model's insides look identical.

I successfully removed the lens cover and blasted the lens, but apparently didn't put it back correctly.
Now that I know there's no screw missing, I see that Tab A and Tab B need to lock over the cover.
Problem is, unlike your picture, the two metal tabs on top of the lens cover (in your pic they're pointing at the faceplate) tuck under the the front plate of the unit.
So I'm not sure how to engage those tabs while tucking those metal tabs under without breaking anything.

Any ideas, other than careful trial and error?

Thanks!

Okay, got Humpty Dumpty back together.
Just had to engage Tab A and B first, then push cover into position.

Unfortunately, still says "CD" when fed a hybrid SACD.
(Don't have a non-hybrid to test.)

Is there any way the setup could be causing this?
I double checked everything, but maybe missed something.

Not really - sorry, but I this solution is what worked for me. Not sure if you're up to date on firmware and such but that shouldn't cause this problem. Might be time for an OPPO. I read somewhere that you might try to insert a hybrid disc into the player turn it off, unplug the power cord and reboot/restart it with the disc in. I tried that with mine first but it didn't work. At least it's a non-invasive measure. Other than that I'm out of suggestions.

Back