Best Modern Surround Series: Your opinion

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best Modern Surround release by band/artiste

• Total voters

mch007

400 Club - QQ All-Star
There are not many bands/artistes with a good part of their discography available in modern Hi-res surround formats (SACD/DVD-A/BRA). Who do you think has the best surround releases in terms of fidelity, mix and overall package? (criteria: Need to have at least 5 albums in Hi-Res surround)

Cool idea! We should add Steely Dan to the poll as well.

Hmmm...Steely Dan + Donald Fagen qualifies...but how to add to the poll?

I gave my vote to King Crimson

All of the choices offered in the poll are certainly worthy.

Based on the criteria of fidelity, mix and overall package, I truly believe that the efforts from all involved in the creation of the 40th anniversary series is exemplary. :smokin

Hmmm...Steely Dan + Donald Fagen qualifies...but how to add to the poll?

Ooops. I missed the 'modern' part. I was thinking "Can't Buy a Thrill", etc, but I like your idea. Let's leave the quad stuff out of this and stick with modern SACD/DVD-A titles. I can edit the poll if you cannot.

If anyone thinks of an artist that qualifies, post here and I'll edit the poll in mch007 can't. I think you can edit the poll up to a certain time period, they the poster is locked out.

It's not my cup of tea, but you're missing Bjork.
Voted for Genesis... a dream come true. I'm missing Don't shoot me for EJ!

There are some very very good choices here (Doors, KC, Genesis, Talking Heads) but I gotta vote for the Moodies.

Those are the discs that get listened to in my cave far more than the others.

My vote was for the Flaming Lips, even though they break the "five album" rule. Rules were meant to be broken anyway.

Without question: Ivan Fischer and the Budapest Festival Orchestra: Beethoven, Brahms, Rossini, Dvorak, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, R. Strauss and Mahler on Channel Classics SACDs. Plus the first, and still one of the best, mch SACD demo discs: http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/4487

I cast my vote for King Crimson although it pains me that with the exception of Porcupine Tree (a close second), the best work of the artists listed in the poll is in their rear view mirror. I do agree with DKA that The Flaming Lips deserve mention but they deserted the format without good reason - especially after setting such a high standard for the possibilities of surround for "modern music." Steely Dan/Fagen also should be listed. On the jazz tip, Spyro Grya and Diana Krall have contributed consistently excellent, discrete hi rez releases.

It's not my cup of tea, but you're missing Bjork.

I thought most Bjork albums are not Hi-res...but ok to post if somebody likes them the most.

I understand...
David Bowie - 4
Flaming Lips - 3
Steely Dan/Donald Fagen - 3 each

...are some casualities of 5 album rule.

I thought most Bjork albums are not Hi-res...but ok to post if somebody likes them the most.

I understand...
David Bowie - 4
Flaming Lips - 3

Björk's Surrounded set was 96kHz/24-Bit DTS, not lossless but I certainly consider that high resolution. She also had a couple of the albums released as SACD but doesn't have 5 lossless releases. I don't know if she would meet your criteria or not but I am fairly certainly she wouldn't get any votes if she does. I like the Surrounded set personally but I like most everything you have included so far better. Porcupine Tree/Steve Wilson should meet the criteria.

I understand...
David Bowie - 4
Flaming Lips - 3

David Bowie has 7 surround releases, 5 in lossless, 2 in DTS:
Ziggy Stardust SACD
Heathen SACD
Reality SACD
David Live DVDA
Stage DVDA
Young Americans DVDV (DTS 24/96)
Station To Station DVDV (DTS 24/96)

If hi-rez weren't an exclusion, and I'm not sure why it is given the scarcity of ANY surround music releases anymore, Mike Oldfield would make a good candidate with:
Tubular Bells
Tubular Bells
Tubular Bells
Hergest Ridge
Ommadawn

I don't know just how many they've made, but Pink Floyd's SACD of Dark Side of the Moon is outstanding, to me anyway.
I think The Eagles have done some nice stuff too.

David Bowie has 7 surround releases, 5 in lossless, 2 in DTS:
Ziggy Stardust SACD
Heathen SACD
Reality SACD
David Live DVDA
Stage DVDA
Young Americans DVDV (DTS 24/96)
Station To Station DVDV (DTS 24/96)

I was considering only Hi-res & missed out Ziggy (and that's the only Bowie surround I have :D, sorry)
Jon if you can add it, that'll be great...I doubt it'll fetch many votes though.
Neil Young is another artiste we may add...but poll can have only 12 options.

Last edited:
Back