Best Modern Surround Series: Your opinion

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best Modern Surround release by band/artiste

• Total voters
All great choices and I own all of them, except for the Moody Blues. Despise is not too strong a word for how I feel about them. Talking Heads was an easy choice though.

I think it's best to leave the poll as it is, because if I start adding others (up to 12), then those that have already voted might want to change. The 'other' choice is fine with me.

How about James Taylor? 'Hourglass', 'Flag', 'October Road', 'Dad Loves His Work', 'James Taylor' - all fine discs as well.

Talking Heads. Don't listen to them very often but I still enjoy them. After The Incident I lost interest in Porcupine Tree, which would have been my choice a few years back.

So Talking Heads is leading the pack as expected. Elton, PT & KC are tied in 2nd place. REM & Doors did not receive any...

The Doors set is ..... uneven. Without pulling the entire set out and reviewing them all, I cannot name names, but I definitely recall that the multichannel was "mo bettah" on some discs than others.

Interesting that nobody chose The Doors. I'd say that it would have been my second choice, even though I would agree completely that is was very uneven. But it's the one set that I listen to the most. I think they did a great job with what they had to work with and, for me, it's a great collection of music.

K

I see REM have no votes yet either.

For me if you pushed me for an order it would be:
King Crimson (so far all very good (and seem to be getting better) and I have to assume the rest will come and love the format)
Talking Heads (All the Studio Albums)
Steven wilson related discs (Porcupine Tree would love to have Signify in surround, Bass Communion, No-man, would love to have Wild Opera and returning jesus in Surround, Solo top notch, and where are teh Blackfield discs, so for that reason lower down the order.)
The Doors (All Jim Morrison Studio albums spotty but not silverlined)

I think it is curious and, on the other hand, disappointing that almost all the performances discussed here are not modern but classic and, in many cases, dated recordings. For example, I love the Doors set but, even in the current mastering garb, the sound is far from "modern." Talking Heads is much better, technically, but still not up to current standards. I bought both sets because I didn't have any of the originals.

Kal

almost all the performances discussed here are not modern but classic
Kal

Clarification... by Modern I meant modern surround formats like SACD, DVD-A, Blu Ray Audio. Not the artistes themselves. I wanted to take legacy quad formats out of equation so that we can only focus on digital formats & so that most people can participate. (I think younger members like me have never listened to legacy format as it existed before we were born :).

Hi-rez & minimum 5 albums were other crtiterias.

shame if you expand the criteria by reducing to say three discs then for DVDA you could add :
Neil Young (3 multichannel and 4 stereo DVDA plus many Hi Rez DVD including archives)
Barenaked Ladies(3 DVDA)
Steely Dan (3 DVDA)
Donald Fagin (100% of his solo catalog)
Mark Knopfler (two solo and one Dire Straits)
Flaming Lips (3 DVDA)

Clarification... by Modern I meant modern surround formats like SACD, DVD-A, Blu Ray Audio. Not the artistes themselves. I wanted to take legacy quad formats out of equation so that we can only focus on digital formats & so that most people can participate. (I think younger members like me have never listened to legacy format as it existed before we were born :).

Hi-rez & minimum 5 albums were other crtiterias.

I understand that was your criteria. Nonetheless, what I found curious and disappointing was the minimal presence of contemporary performances. Is that a reflection of our demographics?

Kal

Yes Kal, we are old! I guess the only contemporary who works in surround formats is PT. I guess no other working musical artists out there have any interest in hearing their music in surrond playback? I find that hard to believe, there are lots of popular bands that would benefit from surround mixes. So, what is the problem....downloads and earbuds? Personally, I had to vote for King Crimson because when all is said and done, it looks like it will be the most complete, well mixed, with additional features, compilation of any one band's work ever released in any surround format. That's pretty impressive. For discography coverage and overall mixes, Depeche Mode and Talking Heads are probably second. John S.

IMHO, the problem is that the iPod/download market is the only one that seems to count for popular music.

Back