Lou Dorren's new CD-4 Demodulator - Extra Cartridge/Stylus request thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, Y'all:
Think about it. Is not the cartridge just a stock Grado cartridge fitted with a Shibata tipped stylus? Will not the cartridge last far longer than the stylii, possibly for many years? So, why waste money on an extra cart, when the first one will be under warranty?
Y'all might want to revise your orders to stylii only. That's what I intend to do. If my cartridge fails after the warranty runs out, I will buy a stock cartridge from Grado, and fit it with the good Shibata stylus off the bad cart. So, put me down for two extra stylii, and no extra cartridges.
The Quadfather

Good point, Quadfather. Cartridges can last many years: I'm currently using and Audio-Technica AT-14Sa cartridge that I bought in 1975, and it still works just fine. Hmmm, maybe I should opt for 2 extra styli instead of just one. Will Grado offer replacement styli for a period of time after this, or is it a one-off?

I suspect it's a one off. But we might can get together and place a mass order in a few years, and they might be willing to fill the order. Otherwise, we would probably have to revert to whatever we were using before. But I don't expect that any of the phono cartridge manufacturers are having massive sales these days, so they just might bite for it.
The Quadfather

one extra stylus please.
Question: will it only fit the Grado Gold prestige cartridge or would it work on other Grados such as the red or blue? Thanks.

I think I will just stick with what comes with it. It will be a good backup, but I will likely stick with my AT20Sa.
Thank you again Lou. Your new demodulator is the coolest thing to come around in a LONG time.

Hi, on 8-28-2008, I requested a single demodulator, cartridge and extra stylus. I would like to increase extra stylus to two. And after further consideration, I would like to add a cartridge. So this will bring the extra totals to one cartridge and two stylus.

When do you want any funds for this?

Last edited:
Call me late to breakfast, but what is the cost of the demodulator? Also, are these p-mount cartridges or standard-mount cartridges?

Hello All You Quaders,

I have seen some posts with regard to the extra pickup. It is quite true that you can always buy another Prestige Gold from Grado at $269.00 MSRP, or Amazon .com for $220.00, Bob and Ron's World Wide for $220.00, Vinyl Renaissance for $219.99. I have seen the earlier Gold model 1s being closed out for $110.00 but I have no idea how this one will work with the Shibata tip. Also FYI, I will be the only source of the Shibata stylus and the replacement standard elliptical stylus is going all over from $110.00 to $140.00. Because this pickup can only be sold with the new demodulator and it comes retipped with a Shibata stylus I arranged the $150.00 per extra pickup and $100.00 per extra stylus price for QQ members. I will have a limited number of pickups and stylus for warrantee replacement as Grado will not warrantee these because of the Shibata modification which is not made by and standard from them.

Use this information when you make your extra pickup and stylus requirements.

Lou Dorren

Hello and merry Christmas to the quadraphiles!
One additional cartridge (does it include the stylus?)
two addtional styli (or 3 if cartridge has it not included)
5 additional cleaning kits
So my total order should include
1 Demodulator
2 cartridges with 2 styli each
6 cleaning kits
Thanks in advance!
Dieter from Vienna/Austria

Dear Lou,

Please update of my order,
One demodulator ( /w H.P.CD-4 cart and QSI cleaning kit)

please add
One extra Grado cart and one extra Shibata stylus

Thanks.
Hajime

Hello and merry Christmas to the quadraphiles!
One additional cartridge (does it include the stylus?)
two addtional styli (or 3 if cartridge has it not included)
5 additional cleaning kits
So my total order should include
1 Demodulator
2 cartridges with 2 styli each
6 cleaning kits
Thanks in advance!
Dieter from Vienna/Austria

Hello quad4all,

The pickup comes with the demodulator. Any Grado Gold prestige that comes from me has a Shibata Stylus.

Lou Dorren

Last edited:
Dear Lou:
I didn't intend to "dis" your deal, I was just suggesting how everybody could get the most bang for the buck. In these troublesome times, that's important. It sounds like the cartridge deal is a very good one, if one does want a spare cart.

The Quadfather

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back