Steven Wilson - new solo album

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no idea - I didn't buy it. I lost interest in PT after Fear of a Blank Planet. But, "...the Blu-ray edition outsold the DVD." He took that to mean that his fanbase was pretty up on the most recent technology and that is why his new solo disc is being released on Blu-ray.

btw, his aluminum LP copy is an AlumiSonic, which he says has a bit of a Telecaster vibe. He says it's "more wiry - more brittle, more fragile," than the thick chunky sound he's used in the past.

of course BD outsold SD DVD because in first place it is VIDEO and offered video and audio quality much superior to DVD.
but seems he hadn't consider of those fans, who do not purchased neither of this two print due to it's live visual performance
nature? there are significant diference between in studio made surround title and shots from live concert. i'm personally always
give preference to the studio works and very rare that concert can catch my interest.
b.t.w. to those who had placed this release in their order - would be good idea to check out. albeit the price went down
to $15.25 from $16.53, in my order it wasn't reflected. i was forced to contact amazon to make a changes.

of course BD outsold SD DVD because in first place it is VIDEO and offered video and audio quality much superior to DVD.
but seems he hadn't consider of those fans, who do not purchased neither of this two print due to it's live visual performance
nature? there are significant diference between in studio made surround title and shots from live concert. i'm personally always
give preference to the studio works and very rare that concert can catch my interest.
b.t.w. to those who had placed this release in their order - would be good idea to check out. albeit the price went down
to $15.25 from $16.53, in my order it wasn't reflected. i was forced to contact amazon to make a changes.

Thanks, just had them adjust my price as well. A real bargain! Even better is if they offered the disc for direct download, either as a bluray iso, flacs, whatever. Although their is always some interesting artwork involved in all of Steven's work. With direct download they could offer the artwork as well!

Anyone who has not seen or listened to Anesthetise because it is a live performance is missing out big time, if they are a music lover. The audio quality is superior to just about every lossless DVDA or SACD I own. I agree many live performances aren't mixed or recorded ideally, this is an outstanding production and a considerable feather in Mr Wilson's hat. Seriously, if you haven't listened to it, do yourself a favour

Anyone who has not seen or listened to Anesthetise because it is a live performance is missing out big time, if they are a music lover. The audio quality is superior to just about every lossless DVDA or SACD I own. I agree many live performances aren't mixed or recorded ideally, this is an outstanding production and a considerable feather in Mr Wilson's hat. Seriously, if you haven't listened to it, do yourself a favour

I just wanted to echo Time Lord's comments. Anesthetise is by far the best sounding concert bluray I've heard. I just watched it again this weekend, after not seeing it in a few months, and was blown away again. The sound quality really does rival any of the DVDA/SACDs I own. I find myself wondering how he does it with his limited budget, and why other bands with significantly bigger budgets can't do the same.

"Arriving Somewhere...." is fantastic too, BTW, but is only available as a DVD with at DTS soundtrack. It would be great if this could be re-released on bluray.

Brad

PS. Sorry for the off topic post.

Even better is if they offered the disc for direct download, either as a bluray iso, flacs, whatever.
i guess if artist has released his/her work independently, he/she can decide what sort of distribution form they would like to use,
physical media, downloads formats or both. things works differently when artist has contract with label. in such case label would
decide how to distribute.
The audio quality is superior to just about every lossless DVDA or SACD I own.
have no doubt it sounds great but it's still video performance with on the fly captured sound and thus limited to what
and how was performed at the moment.
unlike live recording, in studio made surround mix has been made from many different multi tracks and different takes
when the mixing engineer has much wider selection and choices to how to put it into the mix. technically limits only
is his fantasy and imagination.

I am repeat what others here are saying as well but agree big time. I have never been a big fan of any bands live recording's, not for repeat listening as i always prefer the studio recordings but this is one exception, this recording rocks big time and deserves to be listened to and gets repeat listening in my house. Great sound on this....

Grace for Drowning Blu-Ray has been shipped to me!!!!

Pity it will probably take a week to get to my place..

Well, I got shipping notice of my deluxe edition from Burning Shed today - hopefully I'll have it in my hands later next week.

Can't believe it!!! I've actually got my Blu-ray of Grace for Drowing!!!

It only took 2 days to get to me from shipping.

Well, this one goes in the "I should have ordered it from Burning Shed" department.

I happen to really like Newbury Comics, because they are one of the last real honest-to-god record store left in my area. So, since they were the "official" seller of this album, I ordered it from them. I even got a shipping email from them saying that the item shipped.

However, I got this email today. Oh well..................... :(

Hello,

Thank you for your recent purchase with us. We appreciate your business.

Typically, pre-orders are shipped out as the release date approaches, as we intend for arrival as close to the release date as is possible.

Unfortunately, we have recently been notified by our distributor that we will not be receiving these items at our facility until Monday September 26th.

You may have received an email that your order shipped. This email is sent out automatically at the beginning of our shipping process. Due to the high volume of orders for this item, and the delay from the distributor, we have already begun processing all Grace For Drowning pre-orders to ensure that they are delivered to you as quickly as possible.

Your order will be physically shipped from our warehouse, as soon as we receive the items from the distributor.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or confusion this may cause, and appreciate your patience in this matter.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions or concerns, and thank you for shopping with Newbury Comics.

Best regards,
Dave
newburycomics.com Customer Service

OK - Some quick notes on Grace for Drowning for those that haven't got it yet it....

The good (if you like Steven Wilson) and the bad (if you don't) is that this is in a similar vein to Insurgentes, with hints of Bass Communion (but not too much)....

Sound Quality - 10, 5.1 Mix - 10 (Did you expect anything else)? I'll wait until I've had a few more listens before I comment on the content, but I have to say that this one is growing on me - like most SW related discs do for me. First impression - quite dark......

A couple of minor gripes:

1. Personally I think that he should cut the umbilical cord from Lasse Hoile- the photography is getting a bit predicatble, e.g.:
  • Burning dolls
  • Bodies on the ground (or people lying down)
  • Pictures of dark forests, or
  • Any combination of the above

2. Disc Menu/Authoring:
  • When you select a track from the track listing it doesn't seem to increment the time correctly. It plays OK but then "pauses" at the end of the track. FYI - I have a OPPO BDP-83SE (yes it's on the latest firmware) - anyone else getting this?

• Also the track names are too small - hey I'm blind (Damn the Torpedoes tracklist is too small also) - or do I just need to upgrade my TV - yeah that's the problem - get a bigger TV.

• Navigation is not intuitive - eg. you can't expand/collapse the pop-up menus easily by using the arrows like you can on most BDs, you have to select the close button - arghh...

A couple of minor gripes
2. Disc Menu/Authoring:
  • When you select a track from the track listing it doesn't seem to increment the time correctly. It plays OK but then "pauses" at the end of the track. FYI - I have a OPPO BDP-83SE (yes it's on the latest firmware) - anyone else getting this?

I played the blu-ray on my brother's OPPO BDP-95 and the same issue as above - happy that this issue is not specific to my player.....

Not seeing the pausing problem (it stops here - not a simple pause, but a "wait for input" state), but when selecting a song from the song list on the main menu, you get a totally different screen system to the one when you simply Play Album.
Selecting songs from here gives no time countdown at all.
Hitting Display Info, I see I get a T symbol, and (as an example) 5/26. Then a C symbol, and 1/11.
The timer is still not moving, and after the song ends it remains at the same location, sat there.

Very odd authoring indeed.

Not seeing the pausing problem (it stops here - not a simple pause, but a "wait for input" state), but when selecting a song from the song list on the main menu, you get a totally different screen system to the one when you simply Play Album.
Selecting songs from here gives no time countdown at all.
Hitting Display Info, I see I get a T symbol, and (as an example) 5/26. Then a C symbol, and 1/11.
The timer is still not moving, and after the song ends it remains at the same location, sat there.

Very odd authoring indeed.

Yeah - "wait for input" is more accurate.....

I'm assuming you weren't involved in authoring this one then :eek:

Hi, I just registered for the site because this is the only place I've seen a discussion of technical issues with the Grace for Drowning blu-ray. I just received it today and unfortunately can't even figure out how to play it. My player is the PS3. When the disc loads, it starts playing the creepy into film, but there are no menus, overlays, or anything. Every button on the remote is disabled so it just sits in an endless loop playing the intro film over and over again. When I press the display button to show the current title, chapter, and timecode, they are all "--", with nothing counting and no time remaining. I cannot find a way to exit this state, display a menu, or start the album. This is very frustrating after waiting for so long to hear this!

Hi,

I tried to play a few songs on my PS3 as well and did not see any problems with the BluRay. Anyway I hope they change their minds and release a DVD-Audio from it I can play without selecting any screen menus or watch intro movies.

Markus

Hi, I just registered for the site because this is the only place I've seen a discussion of technical issues with the Grace for Drowning blu-ray. I just received it today and unfortunately can't even figure out how to play it. My player is the PS3. When the disc loads, it starts playing the creepy into film, but there are no menus, overlays, or anything. Every button on the remote is disabled so it just sits in an endless loop playing the intro film over and over again. When I press the display button to show the current title, chapter, and timecode, they are all "--", with nothing counting and no time remaining. I cannot find a way to exit this state, display a menu, or start the album. This is very frustrating after waiting for so long to hear this!

I received the BD yesterday and after playing with it for most of the evening last I discovered the odd authoring on it.
If you choose play album it will play with black screen and titles in upper left side without stopping - time counter is not active.
If you choose play songs each song will have to be triggered manually. Odd...
That being said - another stellar release from SW - love the whole concept and the videos are quite something.
Highly recommended!

Back